Morning Anxiety : Could it be a mini withdrawal?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just thinking out loud...

I know that cortisol is higher in the morning, it starts to build in the early hours and therefore can contribute to early awakening and morning anxiety.

But I've also been wondering if the fact that it's been 24 hours since the last dose of Citalopram maybe there's a mini withdrawal scenario that's exacerbating the problem?

Also thinking it might affect those on a low dose more than those on a high dose.

0 likes, 148 replies

148 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

if that were the case then those who take it in the evening would not have morning anxiety but would have evening anxiety, it has been noted on here many times that people feel very bad in the mornings but as the day progresses feel a little better, regardless of the time they take it. I know my self when on citalopram that come 6pm you would not believe there was any mental health problems going on but come next morning back to being a mess.

I think you are having better mornings because your dose is settling and starting to work and to be honest over thinking this and changing around your medication time is not going to help you

• Edited

Oh dear, I'm not explaining this very well!

I'm not suggesting that the time of day you take Citalopram causes or cures morning anxiety, I'm suggesting that if someone has bad morning anxiety then the relatively low level of medication in their body at that time might be making it worse.

So if when you wake up your anxiety is, say, 8/10 then maybe the low level of medication at that time of day is making it a 9/10. I intend to test whether taking it in the evening (as I used to do) will take a little of the waking anxiety away e.g. making it 8/10. (still awful!)

Unfortunately, I'm not having better mornings, if anything they're worse and I think 4 months at the same dose is long enough to settle! (woke this morning at 5.30am with pounding heart etc. by late morning, having not taken Cit, I had a weird burst of happiness, but that's the first time that's happened for 4 months!)

• Edited

Just a quick update, took half (5mg) at 3pm, will take the other half around 10pm then tomorrow will try and push the whole dose later. (it was relatively smooth doing this when switching from night to morning)

• Posted

Just reporting progress - I hate when online threads just 'stall', but apologies to those who aren't interested in this 🙂

Took the other half (although it was more like 3/4 as I used a knife not a pill cutter!) at 10.45pm last night, I did sleep better and heart wasn't thumping so much this morning but it's far, far too early to draw any conclusions.

Citalopram is a mild antihistamine so that could explain the better sleep. (and drowsiness that some people get after taking it)

• Posted

Held out taking anything until 11pm last night, headache started mid-afternoon but just took ibuprofen, no brain zaps yesterday, just felt fuzzy-headed.

Fell asleep faster last night and woke up later than I have been.

Still too early to judge but just wanted to log this in case it helps anyone else.

• Edited

Took full 10mg at 11pm, struggled to fall asleep as I felt quite positive and motivated, but I think that's because I'd had a productive day, perhaps I'd better try not to accomplish anything and I'll fall asleep quicker 😉

Once asleep (somewhere between 1 and 2am) I pretty much stayed asleep until 7.30 so whilst I didn't get many hours I also didn't wake up at 5am with a thumping heart! (didn't feel great, of course, but have definitely felt worse in the past)

Still too early to come to any conclusions, will persevere.

• Posted

Took 7.5mg at 11pm last night, fell asleep reasonably quickly and slept ok, actually woke around 6.30am but managed to go back to sleep until 8am!

(I know changing 2 things at once i.e. timing and dose, isn't the best approach scientifically)

• Posted

Update:

Felt irritable yesterday late afternoon, took 7.5mg at 11.30pm, fell asleep within 30mins of lights-out. Woke once at around 4.30 but went back to sleep until 7.45am.

Feeling a bit groggy in the morning but not as anxious.

Could be psychosomatic of course but I think that in my (n=1) experiment there's a pattern emerging - will keep going.

• Posted

Took 7.5mg at 11pm last night, fell asleep within 30mins, woke once for a few minutes and then slept until 7.20.

Feeling a bit flat today but I expect that's the dosage drop.

• Posted

Persevering with dose/timing, sleep came quickly with 1 awakening, managed to get around 7 hours.

Anxiety does seem reduced in the morning.

Mood low all day, still putting that down to dose adjustment, wonder how long to give it before deciding whether it's the right thing.

• Edited

7.5mg taken before bed, slept ok, woke a little earlier (6.30am) felt pretty awful but I'm right in the sweet spot for withdrawal symptoms due to dosage drop, after all, going from 10mg to 7.5mg is a 25% reduction so I'd be surprised if I wasn't affected - just need to wait for my brain to catch up.

• Edited

Today's update: still on 7.5mg at night, still falling asleep easier and sleeping later.

The 2.5mg dosage drop is definitely causing issues, anyone who claims that 2.5mg is too small to make a difference is wrong. (for me at least)

I really hope these effects level out soon 😦

• Posted

like i said charlie i drop 2mg at a time and i get bad withdrawal x

• Posted

Just wondering how long to adjust? I seem to take ages to adjust going up so have a horrible feeling it'll take ages on the way down too 😦

• Posted

everyone is different lovely, it takes me a year to settle unfortunately x

• Posted

just to get off would be enough lovely haha, how are you doing today? x

• Edited

Thanks for asking...

Funny day really, terrible sleep - woke every hour and was awake for 45 mins between each sleep, then woke at 6.30 and that was it.

But mood much better, got outside, went on a bike ride, felt like eating.

Let's see what tomorrow brings...

😉

Hope you're ok? Looks like good weather this weekend so will really try to get outside!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.