MRI BURNS AND EF SIDE EFFECTS

Posted , 55 users are following.

i HAD A 25 MINUTE SCAN FOR THR INVESTIGATION.

In the last 3 minutes I began to burn up. After I was dizzy and fwelt sick and my face hands legs etc were red and it felt like sunburn. I had to go in a cold bath at night to cool off for months. Other symptoms occurred. Dry mouth dry eyes. These are still going on.

Radiology Dept said `iT NEVER HAPPENS` tHE iNTERNET SAID OTHERWISE.

Anybody else have a reaction to MRI?

9 likes, 116 replies

116 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Had an MRI performed on my L-spine. I am a large man so getting into and out of the machine was difficult. I was provided a gown and they placed a sheet over me. I noticed some heat on my right arm, but it didn't seem severe.

After the MRI, the pain intensified and a second degree burn developed. The affected area is about the size of a half dollar. I have had several MRI's in the past and never encountered a problem like this.

• Posted

Yes.  I was recently getting an MRI, I've had them with NO problems for 25 years, no problems with saline, dyes, nothing. This MRI burned me like a sunburn, I couldn't see for a little bit, I am traumatized, crying, in pain, couldn't have clothes touch me for 3 days, and since, my stomach hurts. The MRI place called in Urgent Care (they took lots of pictures of me being red), then they rushed me to the hospital. The hospital is terrible and said it was just a panic attack, not true. I had to go to another hospital due to pain from this, they said "unknown pain"... The MRI place didn't return my calls for days, finally they said there was nothing wrong with the machine, they said they just used saline, etc. I felt my mouth burning, back of neck burning, etc., as soon as a fluid came thru my iv. Help, do I have a case? They are all covering for each other.  What should we do?  What are lasting affects?  Has anything like this happened to anyone?

• Posted

How are you getting on now? Please see my later comments, I too have had this issue and am still suffering the effects.

I hope you're better now.

• Posted

Hi Belinda ,

I'm better thanks! However I am allergic to the sun as well as ultra violet rays, I blister and rash very quickly . I have allergies with just about everything now that my large intestine's have been removed. I just thought it to be odd having a reaction like that from a MRI, I have ct's often and never had a problem. I do wish you well! I hate for someone to go on Dailey feeling like that! I understand ,the spring and summer is a night mare to my skin. The Rays go threw my clothes . sunblock makes me react even worse to the sun. I do pray you soon get help!

• Posted

Please refer to my comments to Tammy G 1979.
  • Posted

I had a MRI 2 years ago with  contrast  and had a bad  reaction  and never been the same. I just had a MRI again without contrast though I was going to be okay but  I now have burning dry skin dry eyes pain in my chest is there anything that can help  symptoms ?? 
    • Posted

I've had burning skin and dry eyes ever since mine too in Feb 2016. I hope you are experiencng some releif now. I am personally determined to get these risks taken seriously. Please see my post to this thread regarding reporting a Yellow Card and joingin a Facebook group for MRI injuries and side effects.

Taker care for now.

• Posted

Julie,

I am sorry for your discomfort durning your MRI. You had some pretty interesting replys. I have been a MRI technologist for 20 years. We folllow MANY safety rules to avoid injurying our patients. For example, were you 6 weeks post op? Did the technologist give you a squeeze ball in case of any issues durning the scan? Most replacement implants are non ferromagnetic, which means they do not attract to the magnet. They can still however have a few metal properties, that is why 6 weeks is the allowable time for the implant to not only adhere to the bone but also to grow tissue around the implant.

If your body was pressed tightly against the machine , or other physical positions issues you could physically heat up but not to the burning point. Again that is why the squeeze ball is your safety measure.

But if you don't let the technologist know, we can not read minds. Communication is key.

There are many things that can heat up in the mri machine. A piece of metal you got in your body you were not aware of that is against a nerve? for example.

As in using the incorrect settings which was a reply by someone else? The machine has a sar limit, this is checked and a P.M. is done every 2 months, that is the law. If it was in overheating range the machine would not scan you.  So blaming the "operator and the settings" is just ignorant.

Don't write off mri as an imaging tool. But if you are not comfortable their is always other imaging options, as long as you take good care of you.

good luck

Good luck

• Posted

Hello, I got an MRI on my knee because the steroids for my asthma put water on it. I was inpatient and they did not put the block in between my legs because your skin should not be touching. They put me in the machine and in the 1st 3minute test I was screaming and they could not hear me. When I got out I told them it was burning she said it would just feel like a sunburn. They finished the other 3 test which were a couple of minutes each. By the time I got upstairs to my room my thighs looked like bright florescent red quilts. Then within an hour I had huge blisters. They had to leave me in the hospital, the top radiologist said that it were thermal bur
  • Posted

Hi everyone. My last comment was removed, I am not sure why, maybe because I included a link.

I too have experinced similar. I had an MRI 6 weeks ago, and began 'burning up' the next day. I noticed first that my skin was sensitive and reddens and swells when scratched. Clothes were painful. Then I bagan to burn all over my body, mainly accross the head, face, chest, belly and back. All my skin looked slightly sunburnt.

6 weeks later, I am very ill. Still flu-like, which worsens when I have a flare up. The burning will flare up on one or two areas really badly. Generally now my skin looks pale and very sick, but when scratched still stings and swells and goes deep red.

I am wondering how others got on? There are other accounts of this hypersensitivity after MRI online. I also 'met' a lady who had the same reaction as you just when I began searching for information.

The only plausible mechinism I can think of is electromagnetic hypersensitivity. Please look it up. I would be interested to see how people get on after eleiminating exposure to EMFs.

I think patients need to be warned of the risks before having MRI. It completely ruined my life and I would not have had it if I'd known it would. I was in a great place in life, approaching my finals and looking forward to starting my life after uni. Now I am chronically sick, unable to even go out. I am currently looking for EMF refuge to see if I can help my symptoms, but either way, life has cirtainly changed all because of one mistake scan ordered by an over-excited doctor who got it wrong.

• Posted

Hi , well I'm glad I'm not crazy. Today I had my first MRI. While I was in it I had the warm sensation . As soon as I got out I noticed my kneck was red and blotchy. Shortly after returning home I became itchie and a burning sensation in random areas all over. Now, I have sensitive skin and allergies even to the sun and ultra violet rays , ever since I had a total proctocolectomy. Still yet I feel as though I have a light sunburn with a lot of itching . I have tried my allergy meds & Benadryl to no prevail. I have also had several ct scans with contrast and never had I had a reaction to them . I pray it does not last long, and wish you the best! Thanks for your time , good luck everyonesmile
  • Posted

Hello everyone, I had an MRI on Feb 29, 2016. I was having a thoracic MRI and when I was in the machine the back of my head started burning. My whole head felt like it was on fire. When i got out of the machine My head, neck, face, back, shoulders, chest, arms, hands and thighs were burnt. I am burning from the inside out. My skin burns and very sensitive now. My eye lids were burnt and i lost some peripheral vision in both eyes. I have to wear sunglasses when i am outside now. My eyes hurt so bad to the light and sun. My eyes are swollen. My lips and eyes are very dry. My skin has flare ups. It gets red and itchy. I think i burned the nerve endings to my organs. Some days i am doubled over in pain. I am sick to my stomach a lot. No one knows how to treat us. Are you still having the symptoms? I am wondering how long will i have to live this way?? 
    • Posted

Hi, bigbuck19.

I break out from the sun and burn easily. I'm sorry to hear you are having such pain. I kinda always have this issue with having had medical issues. I just thought it to be odd to be caused from a MRI, doctors where clueless. I have seen that it's a million in one chance so we are not the only ones. Just is rare enough most doctors have never heard of it.

• Posted

Hi Jules,

Where did you find the information that these symptoms can be caused by MRI?

I know you said you suffer sensitive skin anyway, but how are you getting on now after the MRI? I hope you're feeling much better and back to where you were before the scan.

I have created a Facebook group called MRI Victims because I have found people with similar experineces on other forums, and there is no one place for everyone to go to share experiences and try to work out what has happened. The medical community also need to be aware of this.

Best wishes for now.

• Posted

Hi, I believe I had replied to wrong one a min ago. Forgive me. Lol. I do not remember what site it was , for I had looked in sooooo many . That is great , people do need somewhere to go so they do not feel alone and also so doctors can reconize that there is a potential issue . I'm on a few closed groups for I have FAP, & j-pouch with issues arising often, now thyroid and nodules. But anyhow we need to feel like we are not alone or crazy, some doctors make you feel that away . Then also when they find the problem they still do not say sorry for not believing you. Doctors really need to listen with a open heart, we are not all hypochondriac 's. Even if so they get paid to do there job, they should look more in to things sometimes or act like they at the least care! Ok, sorry ramp is over . Wish well!
    • Posted

Sept 2014, My thighs were burnt by a MRI,first it made bright red lumps all down my thigh, up to my pubic area. The. I got huge blisters and had to stay in the hospital an extra week. Once the exterior burns were pretty healed, i tried to have intercourse, and was not able to. I went to the obgyn and my pelvis and pelvic floor were in a complete spasm. It hurt to urinate,to bathe,to shower,and have intercourse. The MRI clearly burnt the interior nerves of my pelvis,pelvic floor,bladder,lower intestine, and rectum. I had to have pelvic floor therapy. The pain was so great and out of control I had to have a neuro stimulator implanted just to get the pain to a 6-7. On the internet there are thousands of people saying they were burnt internally and yet you say absolutely nothing about the machine burns internally.
    • Posted

Hi Bigbuck19, I was wondering on your progress?  I had an MRI almost a year ago and I my eyes have been moving around and have been light sensitive ever since.  Realy bad light sensitive as I cannot barely tolerate light... I have all the shades down in my house and wear sunglasses when I go outside and when the sun is out, I can't go out.  It's been almost a year.  I never reported it because my MRI showed I might Have MS.  Don't know what to do, but it has been a nightmare.  Don't even know if it's worth filing a complaint or if it's too late.

• Posted

The sad part of the story is that the medical  community does not care.

Their only concern is the almighty dollar as it always has been.

• Posted

Hi

sorry to hear of your awful MRI

I've had

a similar experience to you during a thoracic scan

i'm hoping you are feeling better as its been a while and time seems to be the best healer

Did you get any treatment for your eyes

thanks

kay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.