Muscle twitching and jerks

Posted , 60 users are following.

Hi. I have read a couple of places that other people experience this with peri. Just wondering if anyone has a clue as to what causes it. It was bad for about a week and then got better. Now it's back. Ugh. Such a worrisome symptom. Please again tell me I am not alone on this one!

10 likes, 250 replies

250 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I gave pain my legs. It is awfull as if the are about to explode. I am guessing that with the fluctuating hormons perhaps the pressure on weins increase. So painful. sad

• Edited

It feels like popcorn popping under my skin. Now that you said that, I remember I have had this a few times in the past when I was on my period and my legs would ache and when I would relax and put my feet up they would do this. But, it wasn't to this extent and I didn't have the jerks

• Posted

I have found with my back issues that the groin and the vaginal area have issues that present, but with all people.  I have had an Ganglion impar injection that seems to handle any and all issues I have had with my groin area.  I have had two surgeries and with the compression of my spine after two surgeries and many years ago. Many pain issues present.  I have had an eposide that presented with exteme pain in the groin with spams and pain that I couldn';t handle.  An injectipon put those issue to rest for now.  I will have to have another impar block in the next few months.  Good luck with your issues.  If I can shed light on your pain, please inquiry to me.  Jan

• Edited

Twitches are often caused from a magnesium deficiency. There are also electric shock feelings that women experience in menopause. I have a friend who gets those.
    • Edited

Thanks Cynthia. Can you explain the electric shocks? I wonder if that is what I am calling "jerks"

I hope my lab work today shows mag deficiency.

• Posted

Electric shocks feel more like someone is snapping you with a rubber band under the surface of the skin. That's the best way I can describe it.

• Edited

2chr2015....did your hand or leg just move on it's own for like a quick second. ? Do you still get them or have you figured out what was causing it.,? it's good to k ow others are experiencing this so we can talk about it. Thanks!

• Edited

hi denise. Yes i did. It was freaking me out! It finally stopped after about a year. I have no idea really what was causing it.

• Edited

I was having similar symptoms when I found this thread. I also have fibromyalgia, and I believe early signs of peri-menopause. I ended up purchasing a PEMF home system. Its been great in supporting me to feel better overall.

• Posted

Yes, I experience the twitches everywhere and the electric shocks which are painful in my head. Does anyone else experience this or weird sensations in the head? Spoken to a neurologist and was sent for a brain scan which came back normal. So glad I came across this thread to see people sharing, It helps to know Im not crazy or alone. Thank you all for sharing.

• Edited

Nope, you're not alone. I've had sooo many weird symptoms and experiences since the age of 40.At this point in peri, I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up one morning and discovered I'd grown a second head...lol

• Edited

Thank you so much. How long have you been in peri? Did anything seem to help or make the twitches/jerks worse? Also, any other weird symptoms you want to share would be appreciated. I mean seriously, if I just had hot flashes, cramps, missed periods, etc, I would have never started googling all this to begin with. And maybe that sore spot on my neck bone is the other head lol!!😤 Thanks!

• Edited

I've been in peri approx. since the age of 40, and I'm 49. The worst part in the beginning was not knowing where the problem was originating from. Like so many others I thought I was going crazy, dying from some weird disease, or both...lol Of course, many told me it was "just my nerves" because my mom was dying of cancer, my brother was going to jail and I was trying to be proactive (doctor and lawyer) for both of them, as well as homeschooling my 4 kids. So, looking back I now understand my hormones were unbalanced and/or dropping. Low progesterone caused insomnia, mood swings, skin breakouts. Low estrogen brought about depression, joint pain, muscle twitches, anxiety, paranoia,  My issues with muscle twitching usually went along with a burning/sore feeling on the surface of my skin, joint pain, chronic fatigue, itching skin, (especially around my eyes and neck, I actually had scars for a while from where I scratched myself.) a crawling sensation where I would believe a bug was crawling on me and I’d have to look to be sure there wasn’t, depression, and paranoid/depressive states, I've read that low estrogen can cause cortisol to rise and causes problems with muscles (muscle tension,spasms, muscle fatigue), bone loss, and since estrogen is a lubricant for joints, when your levels drop you have a lot of joint pain. ( I thought I had bone cancer) Another lovely side effect of low estrogen is the brain fog. That really boosts your self esteem when you think you've caught "the stupids" lol Bladder infections and painful sex are some of the joys I've experienced when my estrogen is low too. I wish I had only known back when this mess started what I know now. I finally broke down and went on bioidentical hrt in January and it's helped so much. I still have times where symptoms pop up and I know my hormones are on the move again (down) and I've had to increase my dosage. Anyway, I hope my ramblings have helped you somewhat. To sum it up for perimenopause, my experience is to just to expect the unexpected. If you don't like how you feel or what you're thinking, just hold on a little while bc it will probably change soon and maybe you'll like the next selection better! lol I feel like Alice in the Alice in Wonderland movie most of the time! I know peri has given me a great deal of empathy and sympathy for others and I've learned to enjoy the good times and endure the bad.  Life is one long cycle of good and bad, and to be careful because dwelling on the bad won't help and only ruins the good.cheesygrin Oh yeah, I'd def. keep an eye on that sore spot on your neck bone! lol

• Edited

Thank you so much for sharing your journey. (I read it twice) It does help. I went to Doctor today for follow up on lab work. All my major blood work was great. My hormone levels show that I am no where near menopause. (Super). So now what? I'm assuming it is still all part of it. Maybe I will quit thinking I have an awful disease involving the muscle twitches. It is scary.

• Edited

Hi Chris,

Our bodies start going through the changes of peri long before blood work confirms it. When I have blood work done mine all come back normal too. That's the tricky thing about Peri. I know I'm in peri regardless of what these doctors claim. I was fine until I turned 40 two years ago and then wham--I started going through all of this. Be encouraged.

• Edited

Thank you! I am in tears right now. My husband doesn't understand why I am so upset that all my labs were normal! I am 44 and I think this started sometime last year. I am tired, depressed, my back and neck hurt, my legs are twitching and sometimes jerking. I am worried it is something else. My health anxiety has been terrible for about 8 months now. And my doctor brushes everything off. I feel so bad that I can't be happy and energetic for my family. I keep praying. I don't know how I am going to manage years of this. I already take AD.

• Edited

One thing that helped me was OTC progesterone and estrogen. My

experience is that you have to educate yourself on treating the symptoms BC they indicate what you're lacking in hormones. You may however talk your Dr. Into a trial of bio identical hormones to see if you improve. I've read articles and a book called what your Dr. may not tell you about perimenopause by Dr. John Lee that was very helpful. Best of luck!

• Posted

I am about halfway through that book right now. I tried the progesterone on my own before I started the book, and for some reason felt like it was increasing my night sweats. I really should go to a doctor to help me. There just are not any progressive docs around here. My friend is driving about 2 hours north and paying $$$ bc ins does not cover. I will finish the book and then I got another one to read. Thank you so much
    • Posted

I know it's so hard to get a doctor to take peri symptoms seriously. The answer to so many of our problems isn't antidepressants or pain pills, but by balancing our hormones. I hope you get some relief soon! cheesygrin

• Edited

Hey moody. I was just wondering, did you only notice the twitches when you were resting? Do you think you did anything that made them better?
    • Edited

Hi

I too have been experiencing all kinds of different symptoms. Wake up everyday wondering what new symptom may experience today. My biggest problem is mind foggness,so ashamed. Can't remember from one day to next!!

• Edited

Kris does it get to the point where sometimes you dont know what you are going to say next? i can start a conversation then all of a sudden my mind goes totally blank it is frightning and so embarressing 
    • Edited

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have one year that I have the same symptoms like you.

I was going crazy because my mom died with ALS . The doctors say that menopause doesn't cause any muscle twitching but I see that a lot of women have these symptoms . 

I have health anxiety and when that is at worst, my symptoms are worse.

I also have a bad case of GERD, and my C2 is not in good shape. I have a burning sensation in my neck. I'm going crazy.Any advice? I'm 55 Years old and in menopause. .How long is this torture?

• Edited

Hi Vera, I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I don't check my notifications often. Just because your doctor doesn't recognize muscle twitching as a symptom of peri/menopause doesn't mean it isn't. There are doctors that don't have much experience dealing with our issues. The truth is that low and/or imbalanced hormones can create and/or intensify mental (anxiety, ocd, depression) and physical (bone, joint, muscle) conditions. When my estrogen is low, my whole head hurts so badly that I could, (and have) cried. My head, jaw, and teeth hurt so badly I have to lie still in a dark, quiet room. My neck aches, burns, and makes terrible grinding noises. There are usually 2 times a month that this happens like clockwork. After a few days, they get better. It's the same with my depression and anxiety/obsessional thinking problems and I believe it's due to a shift in my hormones. I'm 50 years old and still experiencing peri symptoms. My periods have gotten irregular and very light. (just spotting really.) I don't know how long this mess is going to last, although it has gotten much better. cheesygrin I believe researching and talking with others online has educated me a lot and helped to ease some of my anxiety.

• Edited

Hello! I am sorry you were having such a hard time. I am experiencing the EXACT same symptoms. I am only 41 but was fine and now experiencing all this. It has caused me to develop extreme health anxiety. Did you ever find anything that helps?

• Edited

Hey kellie.  I am so sorry.  The health anxiety is the WORST!  I am actually going through it again, but with a different symptom.  As far as the twitching goes, I think I figured out what was causing that.  I had taken an anti anxiety med to help me sleep for a couple of weeks and then when I stopped taking it the twitching started.  So, it was withdrawals.  It finally stopped.  I do still have a few here and there around my period.  I hope you start feeling better.  We will get through this.  I am 45 now.  All of this started when I was 43.  I will have several weeks of good and then it starts over with a different symptom.  
    • Edited

Thank you for your reply! This all actually started after I took diazepam for about 4 weeks and then I just stopped taking them. But it started off just random and then seemed to subside for awhile and now has come back even worse. I CANNOT sleep and it's causing me horrible anxiety. I pray it all stops for all of us!!

• Edited

Ah yes!  I bet that is what happened.  Besides the twitching I had weird headaches and bad anxiety.  I was taking Ativan which they say is a little harder to get off.  So , I actually had to start taking a low dose and wean myself off slowly over a month.  I didn't even take it that long.  But, apparently it is very addictive.  I just keep telling myself all this is caused by the hormones and we will make it through.  Much easier said than done, but the only way I can get through some days.  Do you have any other symptoms of perimenopause?

• Edited

I have recently started with night sweats and my cycles have gotten a lot lighter. I have a lot of headaches too! I'm not sure what is going on with me. I also get these adrenaline surges or rushes that wake me up. It's like a pause breathing or something.

• Edited

I used to get night sweats.  I don't have them too much anymore.  Maybe yours will go away too.  Feel better my friend!!  I'm here if you need to talk

• Edited

Thank you so much! That really means a lot to me. I am going to the Dr tomorrow so we'll see what she says! Praying hard!!

• Edited

Hi there. I hope you still check your messages as it looks like this post was from a year ago. I read your post and it all sounds so much like myself and my symptoms. I am 48. About 10 years ago I went thru some strange health symptoms that doctors could not figure out or find anything wrong with me. I even went to the Mayo clinic in Arizona. After months and months I slowly started to get somewhat better, but not back to my 100% self. As of this past July, a bit over 4 months ago, we returned home from vacation and I started having different strange symptoms. I started feeling tingling in my extremities, muscle pain, muscle cramping, feeling of something crawling under my skin (mostly on my calves), extreme fatigue, feeling like my muscles were burning (mostly calves and forearms), electric type shock feelings in the body, and then the muscle twitching started. It began slowly in a spot or 2 in my calves and then I started having them everywhere, including my scalp, eardrum, back, etc. but mostly in my calves. Of course my fear was ALS since we lost my mother in law to that hideous disease 2 years ago.  I have seen a neurologist who has run tests and labs to rule it out. She has told me my twitching is benign and she feels like my other symptoms are from anxiety. I have read a lot about benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS) online. I am wondering if perhaps my symptoms are really like yours and hormone related.  I had a uterine ablation done in 2010, so I do not know if I am in perimenopause, menopause, or I am done with menopause. I guess I need to have someone check my hormone levels. I read your post and thought I would just reply to you to see if you are doing better and if the hormones you were on have still been helping. 
    • Edited

Thank you! thank you! thank you! I too started thinking I was dying! The itching around the neck and back of the head have been insane...and now the muscle twitching has started. Last normal monthly was Nov 2017...waited for Dec's to come on the 26th. Nothing. PMS came..was intense...anxiety, cramping...still nothing. FINALLY Jan 14...a tinge. Today, the 16th of Jan...still a tinge. Anyway, I'm so glad I found this discussion and especially your response, MoodyNoire. It has helped tremendously!

• Posted

i have had this also and my right side feels heavy when i breathe in. constant pain in right flank and should pain referred. its terrifying. any confirmation fr dr?

my sensations move fr back to front under ribs mainly in right side.

• Edited

Hi MoodyNoire

What a wonderful post! So many of your symptoms I am experiencing... you make me feel so much better...giving me hope that the next selection I may like! lol... enjoyed that..

Tams

• Edited

I get muscle twitches to.. but only at night as soon as I lay still to try and fall asleep... like when your body starts relaxing the mind says 'hey wake up' you cant fall asleep now! lol.. not many though just a few here and there.. don't get it really during day though... hang in there it is all part of menopause...

Tams

• Edited

Last week I got a twitch in my left hand. It went away after three days, and now there seems to be a slight one on the top of my right foot. Last night I got some really bad twitches in various spots when I tried to fall asleep, always in an area that wasn't laying on the mattress. Of course, I couldn't sleep so I googled, and now I'm convinced it's ALS or Parkinson's.

I've always had terrible health anxiety, and this is really freaking me out. Last year I had a bad bout of anxiety as well. My memory, which was never particularly good, is worsening. That anxiety nearly incapacitated me for two weeks, but I pushed through it. I'm 52, a couple of years post menopause. I am starting to suspect this may be the cause of my issues. I certainly hope so, as the alternative is so much worse. I was reading through some of the older posts, and I saw someone mention that too much vitamin B12 can cause twitching, so I'm going to stop taking the B complex that I have been taking for the last 6 months or so. Fingers crossed. I have an appointment for my physical in two weeks, and I'll mention all of this to her. I hope by then the twitching will have stopped.

Thankful to have found this thread, it's such a relief to know you are not alone.

• Posted

Hello Sue, this happens to me often, I will start a conversation also and my mind goes blank and trying to remember I start using phrases like the thing because Ive forgotten what I was about to say. The brain fog is real! l'm not sure what can help this, if anyone knows please help. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Posted

i have this too, it started about a month ago, i did my blood work and everything looks fine, I even did DVT scan as well as neuropathy ultrasound on both of my legs and nothing, they only didn't do electrolytes which they should have since I have chronic kidney disease but my kidney function came back ok so I didn't panic. i ate two bananas every day for a few days and it calmed down for a while now its back again, i have been taking magnesium as well as gatorade on and off to try and remedy. Its more of a tingeling/fluttering kind of feeling mostly in my calfs but I felt it in my stomach too, sometimes it feels like I been snaped by rubber band. My health anxiety is so bad - I haven't had my period in 50 days. my husband thinks I am crazy and I now think I have MLS.

• Posted

Hi Vera. I'm pretty much where you were. My dad passed away from ALS. A couple weeks ago I had a muscle twitching at the back of my neck, possibly a pull from working out. I remember laying in bed thinking, as long as i don't get it anywhere else I'll be okay. Then I noticed them in several more spots. The more upset I got (was convinced of the worst case scenario) the worse they got to the point of an anxiety attack. My fiance calmed me down and I've been doing a lot of searching online since. The twitches are with me pretty much every day. I've tried supplements, yoga etc. One thing that did precede all this was I missed a period for the first time, feelings of anxiety and a huge fight with my ex.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.