Mussel pain after full tkr

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 10 weeks out on my right tkr, 2 days ago all of a sudden I have severe pain on the upper right side of my thigh just above my knee, it feels like a very bad mussel bruise , no visual signs, redness or hot, just really hurts to touch it or when i lift or move my leg! but the knee seems fine. Any thoughts?? i didn't bang or hit my knee.

Denise

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Maybe hit it...maybe not. At 10 weeks, you have barely started the normally year-long TKR recovery journey. There will be advances, setbacks and plateaus (the worst!!!). Many people experience pain in a lot of other body parts because of the surgery and the way the mind subconsciously shifts the load to other muscles in the body to avoid specific pain. Virtually everyone goes through it...

Other Pain

The best way to avoid the pain is to get your ROM back (0 / +120) ASAP and start the necessary muscle rebuild work to take the load off the knee and put it back on the supporting musculature (by now weak and/or atrophied) where it belongs...

Muscle Rebuild

This will help you walk correctly, regain your balance, avoid other pain and enable you to do stairs normally again down the road. Also, post this on your fridge...

Reality

Time, work and patience are your tools...use them wisely...

• Posted

thank you! I have good range of motion but have put off any exercises for a few day to let it settle down...I'm at 0 and 122 on my range.

All my best

Denise😊

• Posted

If it hurts to touch it could be a sign of inflammation of the soft tissue or even the Iliotibial band that runs down the outside of the leg from the hip to the shin bone and can be a common problem after TKR. It comes down outside the knee crossing the lower part before it attaches to the shin bone. You could try a topical ointment such as Voltarol, google stretches to help and make a fist and use your knuckles to press and massage the area that hurts the most. If it is the IT band the pain should ease as you stop massaging. If it feels worse don't massage. It can take a long time before it eases. Mine's still a problem after months of stretches, but it is gradually easing, which isn't really surprising considering how many years I've suffered with my knees.

• Posted

I had a similar issue. It was actually nerve damage caused by the band used to stop the blood flow during surgery. If it is on very tight it can damage the nerves and will take up to a year for the nerves to regenerate. At times it was much more painful than my actual knee! My pain would also radiate down the outside of my lower leg to my ankle....it required a round of steroids for 5 days to help with the pain. Hope you recover soon!

• Posted

thank you for your info! It was different from my turnicut, lower on my knee..funny I woke up today and it's much better!

As for the band during surgery, I am left with a partial paralyzed foot! I've just completed nerve testing and that is what caused it. They have no idea when and if I'll regain any feeling. It's very painful and my ankle and foot gets so swollen after being on it for 10 minutes!

Denise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.