My partner is an alcoholic and I want him to leave but just feel so stuck

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello, I'm new here and just joined today. I've been reading a thread about being with an alcoholic partner and it has really helped me, especially in feeling that I'm not alone in my situation. That thread seems a bit dated so I thought I would briefly explain where I am now, as I am trying to get the courage up to finish our relationship. 

My partner is a functioning alcoholic. We've been together 4 years and he has lived with me for 3 years, in my small flat. He's 52, I'm 49. We met online, and with the benefit of hindsight I know now that I was taken in with his hedonism and generosity, and he encouraged me to follow my dream of being a painter. He was  sweet and kind and generous. And I had no real understanding of his addiction to alcohol. ... Fast forward to where we are now. I have tried to get him to address his drinking many times over the last few years. I can't be bothered now, because I'm exhausted with every single thing being about him , everyday checking if he's left the gas hob on, the back door open,these things may sound petty to him but I don't feel safe. And he thinks I'm nagging for the fun of it. 

I know I have to look after my myself and my mental health because he's not fussed about me as long as he can have a drink. About a year ago I was still tuning into the sound of another bottle of wine being opened in the kitchen, still looking in the cupboard under the counter and finding 2 extra bottles there when he was pretending to be drinking from only one, Still letting him kiss me with wine breath and sleep next to me while grinding his teeth and shouting out in the night. Still letting him drive me to work with about (at least ) 20 units of alcohol in his system. I could go on....so much soul destroying and manipulative behaviour , but I really just want to work out how to get around the practicalities of finishing our relationship. I don't love him and I'm pretty sure he doesn't love me. I don't see how he can love anything as much as wine. I own our flat and I want him to move out and find somewhere else to live. Despite  having a decent job which he hangs on to by working at home ( nobody smells the booze or experiences the black moods) he never has any money and he certainly can't pay a deposit to move into a new flat here. He doesn't want his elderly parents to ever know that he's an alcoholic and he doesn't have friends or family in this part of the country ( I took on an antisocial loner). So to be honest I'm afraid that he will end up drinking on the street, and I don't know what the answer is. I went to an  Al Anon meeting and they said I had to let him sort it out for himself. He doesn't look at me, smile at me ( I'm not asking for much, I don't want a forced grin, it's just that I feel I'm talking to myself and it's very inconvenient for him that I'm even here) and when I try to have a conversation it might last a couple of minutes but we don't talk about anything really. I just want to smile and laugh again and not tread on eggshells. Sorry it's a long post, if anyone can offer any insight and advice I would be so grateful. Thank you x 

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Maybe, just maybe, PARAGRAPHS were the the last thing on her mind!!!

Just a thought!!!!

• Posted

Don't get aggressive Shelley, you'll make mistakes, like replying to the OP, when I'm sure you meant me.

I'm sure that the OP knew that my last comment was a bit tongue in cheek and not to be taken too seriously. :‑p

• Posted

I wasn't being aggressive. I just feel that sometimes there is no need to be so pedantic about things on forums like this, especially if it's someone reaching out for the first time.

What do I know though, I'm fairly new myself! 😊

• Posted

Hi Shelley.  I hope you are doing well, today.

RHGB has a great deal to offer, on this Forum.  He gives sound advice.  His sense of humour may be an acquired taste.  I laughed out loud at the "Paragraphs" comment.  I think he was just finishing off on a lighter note... after all the heavy content of the O.P.

He is communicating with a lot of women.

I think that was a surprise to him.

So, he is a surprise to us.  Someone else reckoned he was Jack Dee, incognito... I laughed out loud at that, too.

Methinks the "R" may denote"Rumplestiltskin" !

Just a thought.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hi Alonangel, I am doing Ok thank you.

I certainly never meant to cause offence, i was merely just saying it was probably the last thing on her mind.

I apologise.

I hope you are well today.

• Posted

No offence taken, you'll have to try harder next time. smile

• Posted

There is no need to apologise. RHGB is something else.  It would never have entered her mind , considering the state she was dealing with.  Why on earth would it ?  You most certainly did not cause any offence.  You made a caring comment.  That is what this Forum is all about... I hope.

Thanks for the health enquiry... I have just thrown up.  

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Aw thanks, Shelley.  I will look out the Stuff you mentioned. I have meds. for many eventualities.  I can't believe that I am back at the "boaking".  I don't know how to cope with this... mentally.

I can only swallow water, just now.

I feel poisoned.

I am such a failure.  I have got expensive medication to help me...but I can't play nicely with it.  I am a total fool.  

My throat feels burned...must be acidic boaking... Oh God.

I can' t tell my husband,when he comes in ... I'd just get a lecture ...followed by "the Silent Treatment".  That puts me "over the edge".  I don't want to drink on ... then end up in an ambulance to A.&E.

Been there, done that....Oh God help me.

Don't get like this, Shelley.

Beat it now.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

You're not a failure you're in the grip of a Nasty disease. Could you possibly go to bed? Sleep it off? Xx
    • Posted

Just wondering what acidic boaking means but guess that your throat burns which happened to me after holidays in Spain YEARS ago and too much gin and run non stop for 4 days..not good. otherwise, tricky for you and we feel for you since you are trying to stop...sleeping helps and a big breakfast or whatever your feel like and LOTS of water...all the best from Robin
    • Posted

Hello Robin,

"Boaking" is a Scottish term for vomiting.  Sometimes the stomach acid burns your throat... so my strange term... acidic boaking !  Not a good thing !!

I am fine, this morning.  Full of regret, but fine.  I have to put that episode behind me and try to be a good angel.

I will try really hard, I do want to win this battle.  I can't let the Demon Drink beat me.

I hope you are well.  Thanks for your good wishes.  You are kind to care.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I know, RHGB.  I feel like a complete idiot in this self-destructive mayhem.    My throat, esophagus, stomach, intestines etc., have had too much abuse from alcohol.  They are screaming STOP.  My liver is not too happy, either.  I haven't forgotten my kidneys...I don't think there's a bit of me in full working order !  

Thanks for the thought, in sending me the info. link.  I appreciate it.

I wish that I could have an alcohol-free day, today.  My system needs a break.  I'll go look out the herbal teas and pray for Divine Intervention.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Well, don't think about it, do it. If you are unable to give up/cut down the drinking at the moment, then at least get the medication to deal with it.

Go see your GP.

• Posted

I have got some Omaprazole in my Home Pharmacy.

I've been thinking things over and I reckon I will have to stop drinking completely... again.  The tapering down, to make stopping easier and safer, is good in theory.  I'm not in theory, though !

Sooner rather than later seems to be flashing through my addled brain.

I am taking Diazepam today.  NO ALCOHOL.

My husband is at home today and tomorrow, all of each day.  He watches me.  He can tell when I have had a drink.  He hates it.  I hate being watched.  

He thinks that I should not drink, at all, ever.  He does not rate The Sinclair Method because it allows drinking to continue.  

I have just taken 6mg of Diazepam.  I know that I can't drink with that.  I have a high tolerance for Diazepam, as well.  I am ok.

I will make an an appointment with my G.P. next week, hopefully.  I've got to go to the hospital 3 times next week re my skin... testing for U.V.B.Light Treatment.

That will occupy my time.  I can't go "under the influence".

Blessings in disguise, again.

Thank you for your advice.  You have twigged that there is no point in "beating about the bush", with me !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Good morning, Shelley.

How are you, today?  I have just Posted to RHGB, so you will see my immediate plan of action.

I feel ok today. Remarkable, considering yesterday's carry on.

Let me know how things are going with you, please.

Blessings,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hi. I have just read your post, you have to stop all together. I KNOW it's hard but it's about being alive.

I am struggling a little today, tearful anxious and very frustrated. I am just trying to keep busy.

Thank you for asking.

• Posted

You are right about the "Stop Right Now"... thank you very much(Spice Girls !).  I am just afraid that I will get Withdrawal Symptoms.  I did not get them, in the past.  My Units intake, daily, has grown over time.  I will monitor the situation closely.  

You keep strong, today.  Crying helps release the anxiety and frustration.

I am thinking of you and wishing you well.

You are a caring friend, Shelly.  Thank you.

Alonangel XX 🎇

• Posted

Oh god I didn't mean stop now as such as you could be really poorly. It's dangerous!!! Seek advice and help.

How many units are you drinking?

• Posted

Don't worry, Shelley.  I know the danger.  I need an alcohol-free day, today.  It doesn't last.  I am using Selincro/Nalmefene to taper down my Units.  I was on 20 Units daily.  Now, 6 weeks on, I am on 10 or 12.  I had reduced further... but it has jumped back up... my stupid fault.  

My Units were too high to just stop. Plus... my willpower is very short on power... and will !   Anyway, I will need to reduce further, before trying to Give It Up For Good.

I have not taken Selincro today.  'Depending on the Diazepam to get me through the day.  I'll deal with tomorrow, tomorrow.  I have enough Diazepam for days like this.  I suffer from high anxiety levels, so have that medication for when the panic sets in.

Thank you for caring. You are a good, kind person.

Alonangel X 🎇

• Posted

I take a similar drug to Diazepam...and I do hope it works for you today to abstain from the drink....However, with me...the pills are so mild...don't give the same effect...and drinking would always slip in when I was on a binge...trying not to be on a binge by taking my pills.

Everyone is different.  I hope Diazepam is working for you today.

​Did you have any alcohol free days before you started the Selincro? I don't remember you mentioning any in the past. 

• Posted

Hi Misssy.  I had not had any alcohol- free days, pre Selincro, for a very long time...I could not say how long !  The Doctor can only prescribe 2mg tablets of Diazepam because of regulations re addiction.  On a day like today, I will take 6 mg for each dose.  That will be 3 times, today.  I used to get 5mg tablets, but they are for short-term use... 2 weeks max. I took 4 a day.   I have the 2mg ones on standby for anxiety and panic attacks.

I feel ok today.  How are you?  Stay strong, my friend.

Alonangel 🎇 

• Posted

down from 20 to 10 units per day is BRILLIANT and you are doing well!! Keep going!! Robin
    • Posted

Hello Robin,

I am pleased about the reduction, but I am finding it difficult to reduce further.  I have quite a way to go. I made a mess of it, yesterday.  Oh well, today is another "page in the book".

Thank you for the encouragement.

Blessings from

Alonangel 🎇

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.