My partner is so incensitive!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi ladies,

Just need to have a rant to let it all out. I just came back from walking the dog with my partner but sat here angry, sad and lonely as he asked me if I had a nice lie in knowing last few days my anxiety has kicked off again and I'm waking up in early hours with it and acid reflux is waking me at 2am most mornings coughing. I have been on sick for a month now and he works full time but minimum wage and I get the impression he thinks I'm having a great time at home all day not having to work. When I said you know I'm not sleeping well he just rolled his eyes and said that's life though isn't it what your suffering with Agggrrr men!! Most of the time I bite my tongue and wear the I'm happy mask but sometimes you just think your just so insensitive. Rant over lol.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there,  Lately my e-mail has been full with this group.  It seems all of us are suffering in one way or another.  Whether it be pain, anxiety, mood swings....etc.etc.etc.....but this one caught my attention.  Unfortunately no matter how hard we try not one person male or female will know what we are going through because we all have our own issue and our own way of dealing with it.  I think your fella sounds a bit resentful, perhaps he doesn't like his job or maybe he feels like he is pulling all the weight.  Unfortunately the way he is expressing himself is not helping the situation.  You mentioned you are alone and he and your dog is all you have, can I ask why you are not working or volunteering somewhere?  I only ask this because when we glue ourselves inside our homes we tend to get wrapped up in our own worlds and our minds get bored so we starting imagining all different thoughts causing a great deal of anxiety.   I think the best way we can all get through this is keeping busy.  Is there something you are passionate about?  Is there any way you could help your guy to pull in extra income, a home business (if you can't work out of the home).   Most all women are going through some sort of effect of menopause or perimenopause, but I think we need to keep busy and not focus so much on our ailments.  I know this because I had spent two years focusing so much on all my different symptoms, I made a full time job going to doctors appointments and tests to find out that there was nothing present. I spent most of my days googling and researching every possible illness and life threatening thing that could be happening, then one day I woke up and realized that life was going on around me and I was missing out time with my family and friends, I tell you ladies this hormone stuff can suck you in if you let it.  I decided that I was not going to let it get me and if this is the process we are inflicted to go through then I guess there is nothing we can do about it.  I decided to go back to school and start a home business and ironically it is in holistic healing.  Putting my focus on helping others instead of focusing on myself has really been the remedy.  And ladies before you start thinking she must not be suffering too badly, let me tell you my symptoms have been pretty severe, I spent most of last year monthly in emergency, so I totally understand how wicked these symptoms can get and how out of control our anxiety can go.  Just offering a bit of suggestions that is helping me get through this roller coaster phase.   I do hope your guy can try and be a little more understanding or at least more tactful with how he expressed himself.  In the meantime, maybe consider joining a group or volunteer somewhere where you can meet new people, finding a few girl friends that you can have a coffee with or talk to is just a boost you need.   I wish you the best of luck though all of this.

• Posted

Well it all sounds positive but when you are feeling so unwell as I personally have been you Can’t commit to anything . Most women are exhausted don’t sleep can’t make plans ... your life is turned upside down and that’s part of the problem . 

So great suggestions but when you can’t even make it out of the house .... I’ve been a hermit with all this and only go day by day when it comes to making dates with friends ...

• Posted

Hello smile

I have to say I agree with both sides of this. It is really hard when you're in that hole up to your neck and are crippled with fear. Volunteering may seem completely impossible for some, but may be good for others so there are lots of helpful things suggested, just maybe not a one size fits all. All I know from my experience, is the more I stayed home, the worse I got . I was then fearful of the boring everyday tasks like shopping. That then led to me working from home more, and eventually feeling so isolated I stopped working. I think we all have to do what feels right, but maybe also try to challenge the feelings to get out and try to do 1 positive thing a day. There's no right or wrong in this, just lots of individuals with lots of symptoms. We need to pull together and celebrate our strength and achievements, no matter how small. I went back to work today.... Wasn't easy, didn't enjoy it but that's another thing done. Stay strong xx ?

• Posted

Sassy, that’s awesome!  I hope I will be at that point soon!  🤗

• Posted

Hi Linda, thanks for your reply. I do still technically have a job but I have been off sick for a month now as my boss was giving me a hard time and not being sympathetic, making my symptoms worse. He is very ruthless not just with me with anyone who he thinks is a weak link within the company, I say company it's a workplace that time forgot no health and safety, no respect for the workers who keep there business going, no occupational health department to goto when your struggling and no union, I got on very well with my co worker and feel bad that he now has to cover for me but my health had to come first and the final straw was when the boss cut my hours as he likes to play games to get you to quit. Why did I stay for 13 years some may be thinking, because it's only the last 4 years that he has been based at that depot he's the owners son, and all of the workers agree the place has gone downhill since and he's driving people out. Its poorly paid(min wage) so you also think why should I put up with this for low pay.

My partner is also in a min wage job but has only been there 7 weeks as got made redundant, he doesn't dislike his job but wishes pay was better, we haven't been having much luck for a while and I guess everything builds up and you take things out on each other so this peri isn't helping that's for sure. I think you stick at jobs your not keen on because you get used to the cash, pays the bills and longer your there better the devil you know and when you have been there for a while and your a certain age you panic thinking what are you going to do, who will employ you at 50, I really don't want to start again at this age so you put off looking for something else. Peri can destroy your confidence to and can make things really negative so you convince yourself your not worthy to ever find something you enjoy.

My partner stands by me if I decide I have to leave as he thinks I've done well to stick it for 13 years and the boss has gone way to far cutting my hours. And we are both racking our brains trying to think of more enjoyable ways for me to earn some cash.

• Posted

Thankyou Lou, all I have to do is do it all again every day for the next 20 years or so lol. Thanks for your support. You'll get there smile xx

• Posted

Hi sassy, good you went back to work 😀 I hope I will soon, probably not my old job but hopefully will find something better. I do think your mind works overtime more when your at home alone all day but like Lori said sometimes you don't have a choice if your symptoms are that bad and you have social anxiety like my friend does or agoraphobia. While I do manage to get out twice a day with my doggy and know a few regular dog walkers that I chat to there are some days I would rather stay in and hide but mostly I'm out and about as it helps with the anxiety and if I don't feel like socializing I just go with my doggy some where quiet like the woods amongst nature, it's further to walk and if I'm pain free can go.

• Posted

Yes being at home ( and I have for 11 years now) never bothered me as I was level headed and pretty content with my life . But since all this menopause  I’m going a bit stir crazy .. not that I don’t have things to do around the house errands to run etc. I’ve never really felt lonely always optimistic but having just got divorced thinking when I ‘level out’ and ‘get stable’ I may volunteer too. 

I always had travel plans dinner plans friends coming over so kept busy but with all this 🙄 

I can’t commit to anything ... always exhausted. 

• Posted

Hi Lori

I know exactly how you feel. I've always loved being home, so working from home was a no brainer....i could work, and hoover! Just seemed that when everything crashed, I'd already boxed myself in. I really had to force myself in the early days to even get in contact with friends or leave the house to do anything. So it did take an almighty push before it started to feel easier xx

• Posted

Yes Sarah the way I feel I would be doing a disservice to an employer right now ... when you’re not feeling 100% or even 10% how can you take something new on and give it your best ? 

Plus getting hired at 52 ? You have to be really lucky to find something good. I was in the fashion industry all my life but where my ex moved us to ... there’s no industry apart from fishing hotels tourism . 

My mantra is get stable mentally first then tackle the other things . I think you’ll know when you’re better when the days aren’t so daunting and you’re not thinking about every mood and analyzing yourself . 

Plus I suffer from panic etc. hopefully this will ease up now I’m on a low dose estradiol patch .

• Posted

I know sassy ... I’m thinking I’ve spent the last 3 years living alone ( without my husband ) with a 1 year relationship in between (but not living together ). I never felt cuckoo or lonely ... I’d take a nap in the afternoon and really enjoyed my time alone . Was always thankful I didn’t have to work .. could make plans trips etc without worrying about work. 

I’ll guess I should get another boyfriend 😀 or take the old one back 🤣 as even if you don’t live together they keep your mind occupied .

I think the last 5 months however have traumatized my mind ... it’s been a real shock to my ego and system . What ? I don’t have control of my body ? What ? I’m not positive ? What? I’m not confident .

Just a waiting game now to get back there ! 

• Posted

I totally understand the non committing thing, in fact I lost friendships because of it, the ones that stayed are going through similiar issues.   The beauty of a home business is you have a bit more control, meaning you can make your hours and change hours with no boss to answer to, and finding something that you are passionate about makes it better.    I think the wake up call for me is I felt like I was on this crazy merri go round for fear and. I was going no where.   There was joy going on around me and I was so wrapped up in how I felt it nearly brought me to depression.    I still have days where I would rather sit and focus on how awful I feel,  but it just makes it worse.   Whether we are at home or somewhere else we are still going to have it, but at least we are distracted.    Anxiety especially when our hormones are depleting can feel nearly suffocating, constant worry about just about anything.   
    • Posted

Yes I totally relate,   I force myself to go out because if I don't, I won't!   Then like you I begin to feel the dread of walking through the grocery store, my legs go rubbery and the shakes.......Fighting anxiety is a daily battle and it can be faced,  but like you say we have to challenge ourselves.    It's always easier to hide from people, we feel in control and don't feel like we are being watched when we are behind our walls filled with our comfort.....but reality this is not living it's existing, and fighting to live is what we all must do.   If all our doctors tests tell us our symptom are from peri menopause or stress, that is a positive thing because it means we are not sick with a horrible disease that we all fear at this time, so we need to face our fears and live life.    I often find after I have faced a fear whether it be a social event or an appointment I dread, I find after I faced it and walking away I feel so much better about myself.   

• Posted

I know Lori

It would make sense to fill your time with a partner, but I guess maybe not the way to go til you start appreciating yourself and the position you're in.... They're hard enough work without feeling a bit fragile smile maybe start small Lori? Make a list of what you'd like to achieve, no later how small and just chip away at it. I tried to unpick the negative thoughts, so if I was invited somewhere I'd immediately say no. So I tried to catch myself and change it to a yes...... Oh the boring evenings I've had at the theatre, or meeting colleagues for drinks, but I started to feel better about it. I felt awful whether I was in or out, so why not give it a go. You have to get used to getting confidence from the tiny things for now. I'd look back at my list and on paper I was living..... The actual living kinda caught up later. ? Xxc

• Posted

Yes I actually prefer being at home right now, I still go out and socialize if I'm upto it and would love to work from home right now. I agree how can you commit to a new job when we feel how we feel, I will have to though as can't afford not to. but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it and try and make the most of not having to commit to something I don't really want to right now.

• Posted

Thanks Sassy great advice . I try to get out at least once a week ..... it’s just the fatigue that stops me and sometimes I’d just prefer to go running as I don’t feel too attractive or confident right now . 

I am getting my color done today which always cheers you up ... it’s all one day at a time for me right now . I just need to recover first from the 5 months of hell its traumatized me to no end and been a big SHOCK that this happened to Me ? The strong confident woman .... it knocks you down a peg or a 100. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.