My Symfony IOL results, 2018

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,  

I wanted to post this thread to add to the discussion about Symfony IOLs.

So far I am very happy.

I had my right eye surgery yesterday, for a worsening cataract in my Right Eye which was effecting my vision enough to make me want to proceed. The plan is do also operate on my left eye next week to provide balanced vision since the left eye cataract is not that bad.

I am 53 and have worn glasses since I was about 10.  I am near sighted and now have presbyopia for which I have been using progressive lens for the past 5 years. I have a very mild astigmatism in my right eye, but not enough to require a Toric lens. 

Enough for a starter, since when I tried to start this thread yesterday it was blocked pending approval by the Moderator?   My post on The Full Moon and Effects of Radiation on eye surgery were posted immediately, so I don't understand why that thread is held up.

Mike

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Back to work today. No issues.

Cannot use my surgical loops since those were setup for my old prescription, so I'll have to replace those.

Vision is GREAT!   Drove home again in the dark, no issues.

Mike

• Posted

Driving in Rain at Night!

I have had issues with driving at night in the rain for years. It's called life. LOL.   Well now with Right eye corrected it is better since vision is better. The halo's I had been seeing in the right eye have diminished and it's not even a week yet.   Driving in rain with wipers on, bright lights from cars and road signs etc, is not a problem for me. I am very pleased with this. I am having the left eye done Monday. 

I am hoping for better close vision after both eyes can work together.

Mike

• Posted

Was wondering how you were doing.  The speed at which your eye is adapting especially at night amazes me.  I didn’t have laser assisted surgery so perhaps healing too longer.  I could see well say after surgery but the glare at night was difficult.  Took 6 weeks for that to diminish.  We are having quite the rain storm here too starting yesterday and was thinking to myself I have come a long way with being comfortable driving at night.

Yes you should be able to read much better after 2nd surgery.  My surgeon didn’t even test reading after first surgery - only did that 24 hours after 2nd surgery.  

I know some comments I read online suggested mini monovision with Symfony to get that little better close vision but my surgeon was not keen on that although that is usually what he did with monofocal lenses.  He was a believer that Symfony worked best when implanted in both eyes targeted for plano.   Who knows - I am pleased with the way mine turned out.

Best of luck to you Mike for Monday’s surgery.

• Posted

Had my second eye surgery this morning.   All went well but this time I can recall every moment so this anesthesiologist was a bit cheap with the meds!  They said, 'everyone remembers more the second time.'  No big deal it just hurt more this time as the surgeon operated. Or rather since I remember it all it is perceived as hurting more. 

My left eye vision is at about the same phase as my right eye was at 4 hours post op, bright and blurry!  But the left eye is not as blurry and Ic an actually read things at about 10 to 15 feet pretty well. LOL.

Colors are about the same eye to eye and the yellow haze is gone.

Halo's on the way to the hospital this morning were less in the right eye, but certainly present.  One eye vision (no contact in the left eye today) on the way in was ok, but can't wait to experience corrected binocular vision!

Mike

• Posted

Now about 8 hours post op, and my left eye is clearing up faster than my right eye did., close vision is coming in slowly as the pupil dilation subsides.

Mike

• Posted

Post op day 1, had my follow up visit today. My vision in the left eye is catching up with the right eye. I can read the text on my iPhone at about 18 inches with the regular phone settings. I was using the magnified view for a few days.  My eyes tested at 20/20 each. IO pressures are 18 and 20, so that is good.  I suspect that I'll end up with my closest usable focus at about 14 to 16 inches. I can read my iMac screen well at 25 inches and the text I am using to type this is quite small. LOL.

So far, again very happy.  

I am driving to dinner tonight in a snow storm so I will update on my night and blizzard driving vision.

Mike

• Posted

Sounds like your results are very good.   Thanks for providing an update.  As it is still early (both surgeries) I think your near vision could improve some.  
    • Posted

Just wondering how everything is going with both surgeries now behind you.  Trust all is going well.
    • Posted

Sue,  

I am now post op day 18 (right) and post op day 11 (left),

My vision is nothing short of FANTASTIC!   20/20 at distance and could read J1 line (second group from bottom) on close vision chart.  I can do pretty much everything without readers.

My close vision is much better than I had hoped.  And getting better each day!

My night vision is excellent and the halos have reduced already.

Mike

• Posted

Mike that sounds like very good news.   I too after 2nd was one was surprised how much close vision I got.  I really have needed or used glasses since my surgeries now 5 months ago.   

Glad Symfony has worked out for someone else too.  

• Posted

I have worked for past two weeks without readers. I have not even had the readers on since last week.

Mike

• Posted

Moon is becoming full.

Clear out tonight.

Yes, halos around the moon.....dam it...but the moon itself is nice and sharp!  And the stars look great.

Some how I'll get by! LOL.

Mike

• Posted

You’ll find the moon depending on night - halos will change.  I have asked family and friends and they too see halos around moon so I am not always sure what I see is due to Symfony lenses or what others see too.  
  • Posted

I had my first symfonic lens put in last week (right eye. Im Left eye dominant, prior my distant Vision was great. As the cataract developed, i was seeing double at intermediate and could see nothing close. Surgery left me with great near and intermediate  ision but I can see nothing clear over about 10 or 15 feet. Plus I feel like I’m wearing drunk goggles or something. 

Other eye scheduled next week. Kinda scared. I won’t be able to drive. Anyone else have nearsighted issues? 

• Posted

I would hold off on second eye surgery until at least a month after the first, to give the first eye enough time to heal - the result can change in a month. It did for my right eye that took weeks until it improved distance vision. If your right eye power is still off after a month, then that might be give the surgeon info to help get the other eye closer to the target.
    • Posted

Hi Krazee4kc

If you have great near and intermediate vision it sounds as though your surgeon targeted for intermediate vs distance.   Has your vision changed at all this past week?   Given this is not your dominant eye you could opt to have the other dominant eye targeted for distance with either another Symfony or if you wanted to save some funds you could go with a monofocal lens targeted for distance.  Given it appears your Symfony eye is set for intermediate you likely will experience less halos.  If you choose a monofocal for the other eye set for best distance you may end up with a good combination and get on just fine without the need of glasses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.