My withdrawal progress

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi together.

Yesterday it was my 6th night on 7.5mg of Mirtazapine (instead of 15mg). Moreover I could not take my dose on Saturday since my wife was celebrating her birthday so I had a few bottles of beer and did not want to combine it with med. What I experience so far is maybe slightly worse sleeping (really slightly worse). In this thread I would like to post my progress of withdrawal since I know many of people here go or would like to go through it as well and such threads would be very helpful for me.

My questions now:

1) did anybody experience really heavy back pain + shoulder pain + weakness in arms and palms (fingers) - all the time while on Mirtazapine?

2) did anybody experience huge volume of stool every day - all the time while on Mirtazapine?

Thank you all!

0 likes, 132 replies

132 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on mirt for 18 months but have been tapering for 70 days.This

Taper was 7% -10 good days and 9 crap days (so far).I have had a constant bad back for

ages and I have to go to the loo about 3 times each morning to clear my bowels.

So I can totally sympathsize.The bad back eases off about 5pm .I did not think my withdrawal time would last so long , some people

On here seem to feel rotten only for a few days but I'm 9 days in so I'll stick it out.Next cut will be

Less than this one.Problem is I am impatient.The rate I'm reducing it will take

More than a year.The bad back is the worst.

• Posted

Hi Plainden

When you say bad back, where abouts does it hurt?  Its not around the kidneys is it (as opposed to centre or top?)

I sympathise I couldn't do 7% tapers either, I'm pretty good on 5% every 2 weeks.  I sometimes wonder about making it every 12 days and try that twice, see what symptoms (if any) arise.  Yes, its taking me ages also, I started my tapering October, I'm not so concerned about

getting it out of my system - the issue is, we need to regrow or at least remodel our brain. This is a long, slow, very poorly understood process, and it needs to be respected for a successful recovery.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi,its lower bad back and its awful.It goes on and on till about 5 to 7 pm.

It just makes life pretty miserable at the moment together with the

Other withdrawal symtoms.But I must persevere.

• Posted

So it goes/disappears after 5-7?   Is it at the sides or centre?  Any gas?
    • Posted

The centre is the worst but it's still kinda there,lingering slightly as if to say "i'll be back tomorrow".After withdrawal and i start to feel "normal" again I still have a bad lower back but it goes much quicker once I'm up-maybe 2 hours.Today it is better than yesterday but withdrawal this time has lasted 11 days as of today so I wld like to thik it cant last much longer.No gas but as i said yesterday I need to go to loo 3 times to empty ,y bowels (sorry)

• Posted

Hi Plainden

I was just trying to see if you had pain over your kidneys and it seems not ~ when I did a bigger taper I got pain over kidneys then griping pains but yours is different being around the centre, but nothing suprises with Mirt' WD.

I couldn't do 7% twice, it hit me so I have gone back to 5%.  Maybe when you stabilise and have a few good days again (ugh ...) you could think about doing two 5% drops holding at 2 weeks each, see how that is for you.  It's no good doing another hard taper on top of a sensitised nervous system (especially as your gut has been hit hard with all the tooing & frowing to the loo !).

I'd give yourself a little kindness and do a couple of easier drops.  I know it takes forever, I've been tapering since October, never realised it would take this long, but I feel its so iimportant to let the nervous system restore and regrow the necessary receptors at the right pace.

What dose are you on now?

• Posted

Hi,withdrawal is easing after 14 days thankfully.I agree with your advice.I am going to stabilise for a week (maybe 2 ?) then do a low cut .Its no good doing a cut that I cannot cope with .
    • Posted

Totally agree, once the nervous system becomes sensitised it is hard to recover.  

Yes have a rest before your next smaller taper, see how it affects you, sometimes its all about testing the waters, seeing how it goes.  

Best wishes 

• Posted

Hi, i am on mirtazapine, not dealing with my symptoms but psych told me i cannot change due tomthe fact i take warfarin. He says i have few choices.
    • Posted

Hi Ann.

This is really strange because I also take warfarin, I have been on that since 10 years ago (metal heart valve). However my pdoc tried Citalec, Trazodone (Trittico), Cipralex and Mirtazapine. No problems at all. I only had to go to see my doc to test me for INR more often.

• Posted

DAY 77:

Hi Guys. It's really weird. I mean, it's been a long time I lowered my dose from 15 to 7.5mg and for last few days I feel really ill again. Is it normal? I have a feeling of becoming ill, like I could go down with a flu. Thanks for replies

• Posted

I am tapering,withdrawal stopped last monday and have been feeling normal for a few days which i expected to last till next taper.However today i feel pretty crap again,like withdrawal again even though it stopped.-very frustrating
  • Posted

DAY 102:

Hello dear all.

So it's been already more than 3 months since I lowered my dose from 15 to 7.5mg. I feel pretty well, however still there are some symptoms present. Now I am really wondering if the symptoms are WDs or side effects of Mirta-hell-in. Those symptoms are just mild, anyway annoying. The brief list - back pain, neck pain, strange taste in mouth, burning eyes, legs pain, fatigue, malaise, ... the most of them come and go ... what do you think? Thank you in advance for your posts

• Posted

Hi Neogenx

3 months already !  Glad you're feeling pretty well.

Yes you're right, all of these symptoms are side effects, not really wd symptoms as such.  Are you planning to taper off or stay at 7.5 mg?  

• Posted

I would be sooo happy to come completely off it. But so far I am honestly a little scared about following tapering since many people say that it is worst the WD while tapering from 7.5mg :-(
    • Posted

Don't be scared ... in my experience and from other peoples stories that I have read ~ the folk that think they can "hack it" and jump off CT or at 3.75 mg or 2 mg are the one's we're reading about having a hard time mostly.  Anyways, to be fair, that is what their doctors are advising, but no ... go right down to the very last tiny bit and I think you'll be fine.  By that I mean 0.1 mg, which is a tiny drop of liquid ... yet to try and measure that dose though, cross that bridge when I get to it lol.

Speaking personally, apart from fatigue, and whilst doing the 10% every month method (or to be precise 5% every 2 weeks) I have been fine, so far, now at 2.8 mg.  The odd tummy hiccup, but manageable.  

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Calmer.

I get your point. Anyway it seems very difficult for me to titrate gradually since I have no possibility to get liquid Mirt. I bought a syringe and also pill grinder but I an in a doubt about dissolving tablets in water. I am able to separate a pill into 4 quarters (4x 3.75mg) but not further. What do you advise?

• Posted

What country are you in?  I think the Mirtazapine 'Sol Tabs' are available in most countries, no reason why your doctor wouldn't give it you, its no more expensive than the tablets.  They dissolve - these are much easier to work with to make a liquid, much easier than crushing tablets.  I know many folk on the forums I have become friendly with have used this method and it works a treat.  So have a look here, within this forum:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-tapering-simplified-510495

It might take you a little time to make a plan, get the Ora Plus (available at Amazon), take your time.  Make sure you are ready, no rush, if it gets tough, say you have a big event or something slow it down, wait ... no rush.  

Best wishes.

• Posted

I am from Czech republic. Liquid Mirt is not available here, but Sol tab is. However, I am not sure whether the content in Sol Tabs is the same like in normal tabs. One not very funny note from my appointment with pdoc yesterday - I told her that I feel good, only some physical symptoms are still present - back pain, legs pain ... Her answer? No way, Mirtazapine cannot cause it ... No comment :-(
    • Posted

Morning Neo ... maybe one day all p.docs should all try the meds they prescribe, how else could they possibly empathise (!)

Yes the Sol Tabs are the same, Only one caution to note, when switching over to SolTabs from Mirt tablets, stay at the same dose as you were on for a week. You might find, you will have to check, that they are from the same manufacturer. I think there are probably 4 to 6 nanufacturers making Mirt. Mine is made by Rosemount.

I guess, on reflection, we have the higher standing than o.dics' - we 'know' they don't smile.

• Posted

You're right smile

Well, I will call to my pdoc whether she is willing to change my receipt to SolTabs. And I will try to look for SANDOZ manufacturer since this one is the one I have normal tabs from.

• Posted

sorry about the typo's o.dics should have said p.docs'  -  although to be fair it almost fits haha.

• Posted

Despite the fact I am not native English speaker I get the point :D :D :D
    • Posted

Hi to everyone on this discussion.  Need some help.  First I see you are withdrawing mert.  Can you tell me if you are taking other meds.  Did you have anxiety.  Did mert work while you were taking it.  I have worked my way up to 15mg.  This is now end of week 5.  My anxiety is still running all day.  Upped tablet 2 nights ago to approx 17 but today anxiety still really bad and I have headache.  Am thinking of withdrawing but don,t know whether to hang about on 15mg for another week to see if it works.  This is my first time on any medication of this type and I am 65.  Feel tired all of the time.  Any comments would help
    • Posted

Hi Ruth.

Yes, I take also Cipralex (Lexapro) along with Mirtazapin. And yes, I also had anxiety. Difficult to say if Mirt or Cipralex helped with this. I would maybe try to stick to 15mg for another week or two. It is not recommended to change dose so often.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply

Will probably stick.  Phone doc tomorrow

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.