My world at the moment!

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi all

12 week post TKR

Many of you will know me from this forumI'm Irish Ann.

Everyone on this forum has been so helpful and informative and I would not be as well as I am today without you all. Thank you.  Thank you.

My world at the moment is in chaos.

My one and only sister, which I have spoken about on this forum, is in hospital 50 miles away with a virulent form of pneumonia.  She is quite frail, and is very ill.

My mother (she's 91) is in hospital near me for over a week, with the same pneumonia.  She had given it to my sister.  My mother is doing well and is responding to treatment.

My husband is in the same hospital awaiting an operation in the 'man problem' area.

He has major heart problems so anaesthesia is a problem and they are still not sure how to proceed at the moment.

He has a large inoperable clot in the back of his heart.

He also has haemachromatosis.

All three are serious and coud kill him and I dont know which bit of him to worry about the most!

But by far the worst and saddest of all is I am losing him, my husband of 47 years, my best friend to dementia. 

He is slowly fading away from me.  Did not remember that they had told him he had a clot in the heart.  Did not tell me about the haemachromatosis nor did he turn up for the appointment that was made for him.  I only found all this out a couple of weeks ago, and the haemachromatosis when he was admitted yesterday.

He will never go into a doctors surgery without me EVER again.

It was a wake up call for me, I had not realised how bad he really was, as on day to day things he is fine.  But anything new he will keep asking you the same thing over and over again.

Terrible too for me was going to the doctors yesterday and explaining that he would not remember a word of what they tell him and they would need to refer to me.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with TKR but just needed to have a rant and you are the best guys I know for that.

Thank you for listening

Ann

Ireland

5 likes, 120 replies

120 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you all for your kind support

Melodi Elaine Martina Cheryl and LiZ  I think I already responded to the others (All the Ann/Anne's!) who have come on to try and cheer me up.

All your kind words have made me cry, I havent had any time to do this since it all kicked off just been running (ok limping!) around in circles, especially trying to sort Colm out.

I'm just back from the hospital, my mother is coming home tomorrow, she will be coming to stay with me for a week or so until she gets on her feet a bit more.

Loraine (my sister) is still very ill, and very fragile,  but I know she will pull through because she has the heart of a lion. Full of metal bits mind you, but nobody is perfect!

Martina, you know what its like living with someone you love who is slowly fading away, I feel your pain as I know you feel mine. Getting weepy again (just not my style!).

At the moment you are all my angels.

Love you all

Ann X

THE IRISH ONE!

• Posted

Hi Ann

My thoughts are with you and your family situation at the moment and hope there will be positive improvements in the very near future. 

Kind regards 

melodi x

• Posted

ann my heart felt sympathy to you ,wow ! you have put aches and pain into the bin ,im flabergasted at how you are coping . you must be a very strong woman ,not that you have much choice !! i wish i was living nearer to you but dublin is as you know the other end of our emerald isle . im soo glad that you did rant ,we want to be here for you . i hope you have friends to bring you out for a break and a coffee or help with the mundane things . feel free to message me anytime .xx
  • Posted

I hope too you have at least one good friend to help/listen to you, we all need that and you have been great on here to others.  Hope there us someone closely for you.

we are at least here for you on this forum.  Great place.  Not terribly religious but will pray for you as you have so much on your plate at the moment.

Liz xx

• Posted

My goodness Ann.  So many things going on in your life right now.  When you need to rant you just go ahead.  We are all here for you.  Many prayers are being said for you and your family.  Don't know if I could handle things as well as you. We are all good listeners.  Don't know if you believe in God, but I can tell you that He won't give you more than you can handle because He will be with you all the way.  My mother had alzhiemers so I understand what you are going through with your husband.  Love and patience for them.  Lots of love and patience.  My heart goes out to you.  God bless you, Ann.  There are lots of services out there to help you. Alzhiemers Association is one of them. Here in the USA we have adult daycare places that allow you to have sometime to replenish some of the much needed rest you need.  Please keep us updated. God be with you.
  • Posted

Dear Ann

So sorry to hear what you are facing at the moment. I don't really know what to say to make you feel better other than I am thinking of you and sending the most positive thoughts your way.

Try to hold strong Ann xxx

• Posted

Ann, What a lot to have fall on your shoulders. May G_d give you the strength to see you through these trials and the strength to face them all with grace, whatever the outcomes. Good thoughts and prayers coming your way from the States.
  • Posted

Oh Ann, what a load.  Who cares if this has nothing to do with TKR's and anything else that ails us. I am sure the many of us on this forum would love to be able to help in some way, even if it is only words. My one piece of caution is, in this maelstrom that is surrounding you, please do not neglect yourself, take that minute to take a deep breath. Take the time to exercise your knee properly, If you don't have time when rushing around, wear some sort of knee support, it will help keep some of the stress and strain at bay.  Stay strong, rope in as many people as you can to help you cope and rant & rave as much as you want. We are always here for you. May a ray of sunshine fall on your face and wash your tears away
  • Posted

Hi Boys and Girls

Sitting here having a cup of tea with icepack on waiting for painkillers to kick in so I can do my stretches.

Colm's op was cancelled yesterday by the cardiac team, loads of tests done yesterday. Depending on their call, They might do him today under local anaesthetic and sedation, far safer for him but far more painful.  The problem is that neither the cardiac team or the urology team will take ownership of him and he is being tossed betwee them like a ping pong ball!  He doesnt have private health insurance (none of the insurance companies would touch him!) so you are treated totally different here if you dont.  Will head to hospital a bit later to see what I can find out.

Collected my mother from the hospital around lunchtime yesterday.

She is doing great (for 91!) but has not stopped talking since she got here (even if I'm in the other room!) think its the steroids!. She is telling me all the stories of when she was in hospital, which she told me when she was in there, and has told me again about 5 times since.

Frying Pan and Fire spring to mind....................

My brain is melting cry

Sister is coming on and may be let out over weekend, thats the only good news!

Keep up your prayers and kind thoughts for me and mine.

Love

Ann X

The Irish One

• Posted

Sometimes a firm talk with a surgical team can work miracles, it makes them step back and realise they are dealing with a human being, not a statistic. Your husband cannot fight them, but you can, but don't stress yourself out, otherwise you'll come across as just "another one those...." and they'll blank you. 

Let's look at the positives, your husband may be just a little stronger than you think.  Perhaps if he were worse they would rush him through; by "passing him from one department to the other" they are thinking the best way to treat him (Doesn't help you, I know). It must be heart-rending to see your loved one in such a vulnerable position, but by being there and touching him can sometimes allow both of you to connect in such a way that only long married couples can.  DO you have a friend that can drop you off and pick you up after visiting him. Then you do not leave the hospital alone. 

Then there is your mother, she is home (good news but your workload has now increased) and talking nineteen to the dozen.  You are not too old to wear earplugs and listen to music, audiobooks and depending on your phone; the radio.  That way although you can still hear her, there's just a slight audible diversion going on!  Think of it as her brain is still functioning, if she couldn't talk you would have to keep an eye on her all the time, at least by her talking you can safely go from room to room.

Your sister is coming home at the weekend, good news, she will still be very poorly, but at least she is in hugging range. No more 100 miles round trips.  She can keep your mother company (until she is strong enough to say "enough")

You,  how is your recovery coming along.  You are still in the early stages, (where most of us are feeling down in the dumps & sorry for ouselves and wondering when the pain will ever just stop and go away) Are you eating, sleeping properly. The stress of your family must be having a counter effect on your healing.  Do you have people around you that are supportive (apart from this forum), that can run errands for you, or just keep you company, share a glas of wine or two.

There will always people on here rooting for you, but go and get a hug from someone (even if it's just a neighbour).

I hope you haven't taken offence to some of the comments I have made above. It is not my intention to diminish how you are feeling, I'm just looking at your life as it is from a different angle.

Hope you can open the attachment,  keep sane, let the sun shine on your face x

• Posted

Definitely not lost your sense of humour.  Think you are going to need it a lot.  

Keep trying to make time for yourself, that's good coming from me, pot, kettle, black, as they say.  I've not done my exercises as not had time.  Sitting with an ice pack on and I'm quite a bit ahead of you.  Feet up, tell your mum you're just having a wee bit of shut-eye, headphones on, exercise and keep your sense of humour.

ive got people coming round tonight and I wish now I hadn't but I will rest exercise and get on with it.  Floors won't be mopped but who's looking and the bathroom will be clean.

good luck with your hubby and the hospital.

Liz

• Posted

Thanks Liz

Just mopped the floor!

Just not in the zone to cope with my mother at the moment and feel guilty because  I'm not.  Normally I would go over every Friday - pre TKR- and do  her heavy housework and garden, stay over night, and bring her home with me, or my sister would for the weekend.

Never realised she must be going deaf too!

Going to retire to bedroom and ice knee.  Up since 6.00am so needs another go! Well thats my story anyway! confused

• Posted

Dear Ann

I am so happy to hear from you. I thought of you all day.

Great news about your mum and sister. I love your humor-it's the only way to get through the day!!

How disappointing about the delay in surgery for hubby. You must be exhausted- mentally, physically, emotionally. This where the chocolate comes in handy.

Remember to treat yourself well. Good girl , you're doing your exercizes.

I am having a cup of coffee with the dog's head in my lap. He's a drooler, a Golden Retriever named Buddy. He's waiting for his morning biscuit.

Take care today and keep us posted.

Sending good wishes from Michigan

Love, Elaine

• Posted

Hi Ann!

Thanks for the update on you and your family. You have MANY challenges but also have MANY praying for you and your family members during this challenging time.

Glad to hear that Mom was well enough to come home. This has been a SCARY experience for her, so she's going over and over it in her head until she is comfortable about it. My 99-year-old mother lived with us after her bad fall, subsequent stroke, then stroke-enduced epilepsy. She needed to go over everything again and again to process all that had taken place. We realized then that Dementia had set in and it was her way of REMINDING HERSELF of all that had happened.

It definitely is nerve-racking!

Glad your sister is doing better.

So sorry to hear that things are so up in the air for your husband and his medical procedures. Insurance or the absence of it and even the type of insurance an individual has seems to dictate the level of care a person receives. It sounds ABSURD that that would be true, but it IS true!

I am praying that common sense will win out and that a CLEAR plan of action will emerge from all of the confusion so that your husband will get the treatment he needs.

Hospitals also have a strict protocol about surgical issues and will call off surgery if they feel that a person is not well enough to undergo the procedure. Even a fever will halt a TKR and cause it to be postponed. It is possible that each group of doctors/ surgeons is wary about proceeding with your husband because they are unsure of whether they will do more harm by operating at this time. There are SO MANY things that enter into medical decisions!

I am happy to hear that you are relaxing a bit and listening to YOUR body as YOU recover! A nice cup of tea is very soothing, and ice packs are definitely your friend at this stage of the game! It's nice when the painkillers kick in!

In the early stages of my recovery I would write down the time I COULD have a pain pill if I NEEDED one. That way I didn't overdo pain medication. I used my hand as my own personal whiteboard like they would write on my whiteboard in the hospital. It helped a lot because I could plan how I was going to handle what I needed to handle while NOT overdoing pain medication. Having that info written on my hand made sure that I knew my schedule yet could delay taking medication IF I really could do without it. ( A byproduct of the hand whiteboard system was that I discovered that gradually I actually DIDN'T need medication for pain as often as I did previously. That encouraged me and helped me to realize I was making progress.)

Sending prayers of strength to you as you juggle many issues today. God is RIGHT THERE with you. Lean on Him. Everything will be OK.

• Posted

I'm sure you are right about the steroids!  I remember when my husband had to take them as part of a chemotherapy course. . . he was absolutely hyper!  Drove me mad!  glad things are partly improving for you . . . 
    • Posted

I've just mopped my floors as well, wish I still had carpets.  Now got leg up.  Set the table, soup made, lasagne half made, then just got a salad to do.  Was keeping it simple and there are only 7 of us.  Last week I did the same for other friends Who looked after my hubby when I was in the UK having the TKR. Got a takeaway for us all from the Chinese and I swear it was no more expensive so wondering why I am bothering doing any cooking.

oh to be back the way we were before our TKR.  Someone said to me I should have had this done before it reached the stage of needing a TKR. Would have liked to have slapped them.  My surgeon said he wouldn't  know what I would need till the day of the op.  Also I was told a year ago I definitely did not need it done.

feet up, chill Ann, that should be our mantra.

Liz

• Posted

we all will pray for you ,i cant get you out of my head its such a hard time for you im not surprised that your brain is melting . i know only too well the way the hospitals work here its disgracefull ,go to the politition in your area ,god knows they dont do much but with the election coming within the week let them pull strings for you .here in cork the local radio has got ops done and beds got in hospitals due to airing it on the radio and shame the hospital we have a sh*te hospital service here its more like third world ,i do hope he gets his op and all works out for you take care xxx
    • Posted

Colm worked in that hospital until his retirement!!!!

Its like a third world country hospital

There are four patients in every corridor of the wards with screens around them!  The only thing is its better than A & E which is a war zone.

Not one lift is working. Colm is on the 4th floor - Great exercise for the knee!  The car park is always full so its 3rd or 4th floor.  No lift there either!

Its a disgrace!

Dont get sick in Ireland unless you have private health care!

• Posted

boy do i agree with you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when you think about all the hospitals they closed down and the population increasing all the time what a joke we are . and they are out there asking for us to vote them back in next fri !! hell will freeze over before i will vote for any of them again in my life time . now see you have me ranting !!! ha!!
    • Posted

Right on Linda!

The political parties here are a joke!

Promise the moon until they get into office then renege on them all,

I will vote but I wil vote for the independents.

I am part of the grey army - well I'm really a blondeconfused.  We are the ones that always vote in this country.  I had gone on all the Marches in Dublin, on my own,  re Water Charges. until I got my knee done.

Emailed TV3 to complain about the hospital yesterdayand sent a letter of complaint to the hospital itself

Going to try and get Leo Varadkar's email address today and eat the head off him too

Who knew I would become a protester in my retirement !

Ann X

• Posted

yes im a protester too  ive went on the  marches when my leg obeyed me i am never paying those water charges my hubby and i are living on 295 euro a week  and we forego holidays to pay vhi but dont know how long we can keep it up its almost 4 grand a year .im voting independants and sein fein . im not blonde but i totaly agree with you ,i wonder will you get any reply !! you could be totaly grey by the time they reply if ever ha !!!!!!!!
    • Posted

I am a firm believer in if one doesn't have an FBI file by the time one dies what good are you?

Note, I said file, not record.

How would you like to be in fear of Trump getting elected Prez?

Can you believe people would consider him for an important position - he's a clown, buffoon, ignorant and has a big mouth. Arghhhh

It sounds like Ireland has their own problems. All the politicians, everywhere are corrupt to varying degrees. Oh yeah, except Trump, he's just stupid.

Now that's a rant. Excuse me for hijacking website.

• Posted

elaine trump would look inteligent next to our bunch they are the highest paid our leader get more money than o bama !!! and look at the size of our country looking at the globe we are a speck next to uk !!! . oh i better stop now ....... we at the moment are being blasted right left and centre for our votes thank god only one week left and back to normal promises forgotten !!!
    • Posted

That's awful, Linda. Enough to make your blood boil!!!

I'm off to the river to slug rats, I guess.

(don't worry, just an expression).

• Posted

Ha Elaine, I am scared to death of that moron getting elected! And embarrassed that he is even running!!! To quote my mom, "the masses are asses"!!!!! 

I hate politics because of all the talk just aimed at getting us to vote for them, but of course I do my due diligence by educating myself and voting. God help us!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.