Nausea preceding and accompanying Shingles !

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Shingles mid March this year. I had nausea mid Feb, went to my Doctor who diagnosed me as lactose intolerant. Seven days later i got shingles but the nausea accompanied the shingles and still have it.

Wont bother going into my story, but would really like to know if others have also had nausea?

Now getting quite low.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes. I had to get my doctor to prescribe Phenergan. I LOST 22 lbs in 12 days due to the nausea and the shingles being in my mouth and throat.

• Posted

Much better a year and a half out. Have scar tissue in my throat and it permanently altered my taste buds. Got the Shingrix vaccine as soon I was able to. I never want to experience shingles again!

• Posted

Thank you! Going today, just hope he links it to the Shingles outbreak!

Am getting worse by the day.

hope you are now better.

• Posted

Just to warn you (from experience) - he may tell you it has nothing to do with shingles. Most MDs are clueless about shingles, I discovered. It definitely is the shingles causing the nausea. I had to beg for Phenergan. They wanted me to come in for what would have been a 4th visit so they could see it for themselves. I told them I honestly didn't think I could drive myself there without getting sick (vomiting) and I wasn't willing to risk that happening. They called the Rx in for me.

• Posted

Most physicians are abysmally ignorant regarding Herpes Zoster-Shingles, the diagnosis, signs and accompanying symptoms of which there are many, treatment and management. Most physicians unfortunately fail to prescribe anything for pain and accompanying symptoms, ie, nausea.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Wow! I haven't been vomiting. I've got it coming out the other end. 😕

• Posted

How long have you had the shingles rash? I know it gets worse before it gets better. They gave me Tramadol which is the only thing that has helped the pain. I usually just take one 50mg pill a day. The Dr. said I could take 2 every 8 hrs but it makes me too sleepy, and I have to work. 😦 Hope you get to feeling better soon!!

• Posted

Will get back later this afternoon after my appointment.

Thank you for caring!!

• Posted

I had the Shingles rash from 17 March 2019 , was definitely gone mid May just left with scarring on my right buttock! Checked by a Doctor, ( who I dont normally see) who told me in no uncertain manner that nausea was not linked to shingles!

Have just returned from my lovely Doctor

who has listened to me and read my notes and has given me anti nausea tablets.

He believes nausea is associated with Shingles but he wants to covers all bases, so am having blood tests plus a stomach scan and he wishes to see me next week.

• Posted

Have just returned from my lovely Doctor

who has listened to me and read my notes and has given me anti nausea tablets.

Am so lucky!

He believes the nausea is associated with Shingles but at the same time he wants to covers all bases with a stomach scan plus

blood tests.

( I had a problem with another Doctor who told me that nausea wasn't connected with Shingles)!!

... how long did you suffer with nausea?

Thank you for your information!

• Posted

It was at least 3 weeks, maybe a month. It took a long time for my appetite to return, though. Kinda wishing it hadn't now, as I've gained that 22 lbs back!

• Posted

I have had nausea now for 3 / 4 months off and on and also have lost weight.

After reading / researching I believe diet plus light exercise plays a huge part in recovery.

I have also kept a daily food diary which greatly assisted in identifying which foods have upset/ didn't upset my body.

Am so grateful for this forum and the information, I don't feel alone.

• Posted

I had shingles for the last two weeks. And, feeling nauseated nearly 100% of the time.

I really can't remember the last time I had a full appetite during this whole process.

I started to lose my appetite along with the shooting pain in my right arm about a week before the rash appeared. Never got my appetite back since.

• Posted

It has been eight months since it was confirmed I had shingles and nausea still comes and goes but not as intense as it used to be. A very slow process but improving.

I had an abdominal scan, all clear plus fourteen blood tests and again all clear. Then my GP decided I had Acid Reflux but the medication made me worse! ( needless to say am not using it, really controlling my symptoms via diet)

Avoid fast and processed foods, foods high in saturated fats.

I eliminated caffeine, nuts, chocolate peanut butter and legumes.

Followed a high Lysine, Low Arginine diet

plus started taking Lysine tables plus Vit D.

Research research this forum so much informative material... such a help to me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.