neck pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know whether this is a side effect or not? Think im going mad. I keep getting pain in the left side of my neck which means that when trying to sleep I have to try and put a pillow between my neck and shoulder when on my side. Tramadol isnt touching it and its there all the time but worse at night.Im having every other side effect going so wanted to know is this one too

thanks

2 likes, 146 replies

146 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi michelle 

i get alot of neck stiffness and shoulder and aches.

i am borderline underactive and just had tests re done..

TSH was 3.61 in Feb T4 was 9 .. 

But i was taking Kelp 1000mg for thyroid health and hair loss ( so stopped it to have tests redone so more accurate )  

i pay for tests where i live, and i asked for adrenals to be checked,  Vit B12 and Vit D .. 

Good luck hun ' its miserable when you know something is amiss and no answers ' 

i am post menopause too age 50 and had aches all through peri meno didnt take HRT 

jayx 

• Posted

Hi Jay

Do you mind my asking you whereabouts roughly do you live? 

I am asking because you had blood tests done privately and was just wondering where. Hope you don't mind my asking.

Have you ever taken statins? They cause muscular pains etc

• Posted

Hi 

no i dont take any meds ..

just vits that th doctor suggested for me 

Natecal ( calcium and vit D3 ) 

Kelp for hair loss / cold hands / Thyroid health 

Vit b6 for menopause anxiety

i have 3 bulging back disks which i live with and they cause pain and they were at there worse in Feb I also had shingles due to nerve pain then.

and dont take or like pain killers,

jay x

• Posted

Vit B6 is good for peri meno and menopause 

but may cause stiffness in some cases 

i have been off it for a month just to see if anything improves or whether its other issues 

thanks for info 

jay x

• Posted

Lucky you.

You will be getting plenty of sunshine and a good diet.

Are you vit D3 or D2 deficient?

What dose of vit D are you taking. Natecal contains aspartame. I suggest you google aspartame!!

• Posted

I did not know about B6. I have been taking it together with magnesium. I am stopping it because this stiffness is driving me mad. Antibiotics caused peripheral neuropathy. If you google floxiehope you will see the harm that abs do.
    • Posted

Hi jean 

yes i am aware of aspartame Jean ..

very aware of it 

jay x

• Posted

Hi Jay

I cannot take aspartame it is neurotoxic.

Have you tried adcal D3?

• Posted

I havent taken anything for a month 

see whats going on with me..

keep saying i will look for another type of calcium and D3 

think i will next time ..

i take it due to post menopause and no HRT 

thanks 

jayx

• Posted

I tried to get adcal here and they only had natecal 

😕

i will try again at different farmacia 

• Posted

Hi Jay

Vit D is dangerous if not given under medical supervision . You need to find out your present level and then target level. You must always take calcium with vit D and please always get your calcium levels checked as a high level is dangerous.

• Posted

Yes Jean 

i had my Vit D test last week. Waiting results ..

thats why i have taken nothing for a month before tests so they are more natural state 

thanks 

• Posted

As ror vit B6 which i was given by a doctor and did seem to help

i not liking this info about it ( this is taking high doses) 

Vitamin B6 may cause abnormal heart rhythms, acne, allergic reactions, breast enlargement or soreness, changes in folic acid levels, decreased muscle tone, drowsiness or sedation, feeling of a lump in the throat, feeling of tingling on the skin, headache, heartburn, loss of appetite, nausea, rash, recurrence of ulcerative colitis (an inflammatory bowel disorder), stomach discomfort or pain, sun sensitivity, vomiting, and worsened asthma.

Side effects to some ingredients of high-dose pyridoxine hydrochloride (which is injected into the vein) are possible.

Vitamin B6 may cause low blood pressure. Caution is advised in people with blood pressure disorders or in those taking drugs or herbs and supplements that lower blood pressure.

Vitamin B6 may affect blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in people with diabetes or low blood sugar, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Blood sugar levels may need to be monitored by a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, and medication adjustments may be necessary. 

• Posted

JAY

Natecal is cheaper than adcal so drs tend to prescribe it rather than adcal D3.

You really do need to find out if you are D2 or D3 deficient.

Did your dr tell you.

• Posted

Thanks Jay I am not taking this anymore because I can see how this drug may have affected me as well.

I just feel like running away from this situation.

• Posted

Hi Jean 

not same here Jean you just buy it from farmacia no prescription involved 

so you can get the One you want .. I already wanted Adcal 😟

docs just say what to get ie: calcium and Vit D - i did want Adcal but they dont have it .. But will see what else there is if still needed after the bloods come back 

thanks for replies

i must crack on now 😊

have a great afternoon

jayx

• Posted

Jay How long does it take for vit B6 side effects to wear off? Jeanx
    • Posted

No idea jean

i been off it a month ... dont feel any different ..

dont know i had any side effects personally ... just decided to stop all vits at the moment ... Have a break for a while as needed to for having all my blood tests..

think side effects were for high dose b6 so depends on how much a person takes..

mine was suggested by the doctor anyway.. Didnt just take it ... 

just felt its time to continue with a good break off them all and remind myself how i really feel 😊

• Posted

I live in Leeds  in west yorkshire x

Only been diagnosed recently and having a nightmare

• Posted

Hi Jay

Very sensible if I may say so. I know where you are coming from. When all this started in Dec 2013 I was told that it was due to codeine which I had been taking at a rate of 3 to 4 tablets a week.Note a weekk. I developed blinding headaches, throbbing pain in the right eye, anorexia, deep depression and severe anxiety which I had never experienced before .

I was afraid of being left alone . Anyway three days after seeing a neurologist privately and being told that I had codeine induced migraines the headaches subsided quite condisiderably.

However the other s and s persisted.

The neurologist said that codeine makes you feel disconnected with the world. Also reduces the pain threshold and causes stiffness of the muscles, joint pain, throbbing eyes, makes the brain swell. It is also addictive. Thankfully I never craved the drug or any other so that part of it was not a problem. The neurologist said that you only need to take 3 to 4 tablets of codeine a WEEK to get codeine induced migraines.

Extra strength Brufen contains codeine. Some say that the drug companies deliberately put codeine into nsaids, other analgesia to encourage dependence and thus sales. I could not comment byuut the info is in the Public Domain. Codeine is one of the biggest sellers for pharmaceutical Companies apparently.

It takes a few weeks to leave the body and the withdrawal symptoms are horrendous. As I only took 3 to 4 each week for a dislocated shoulder I did not crave this drug but still suffered night sweats, muscle and joint pains, depression and anxiety and of course headaches and pain in my right eye. Three to four days the hheadaches did subside as I said before. Best to steer clear of codeine and a number of other drugs as far as I can see.

Now I have to sort ut the thyroid problem. What a life. Can't help feeling that these conditions are due to the side effects of medication especially statins, antibiotic toxicity, valsatan for blood pressure and a beta blocker.

Also codeine of course. Even paracetamol can cause analgesia induced headaches.

Jeanx

• Posted

Hello Michelle

I agree it is a nightmare.

Pls feel free to ring me. I can send you my number privately I can ring you straight back. I do not yet know how to e mail members privately as I am new to the forum.

If you send a private message I can respond with contact details.

• Posted

What was the exact diagnosis Michelle? What tests did you have done?

What treatment are you on?

Jean x

• Posted

Blimey Jean 

this sounds like my post menopause symptoms 

what age are you if you dont mind me asking 

i am 51 in June 

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay

I am older than 51.

Do you get breathless?

However I think that a good dtstarting point is to research every med you are on or been on and their side effects.

Draw them up in chronological order together with any side effects no matter how slight they may have appeared at the time.

Then look at thee signs and symptoms you have now and see if their is any possibiity that the drugs may have been or are the cause.

I find USA websites have much more information and are critical of the FDA for witholding vital information about the side eggects of statins and the chloroquinolones as well as aspartame in particular.

Also research supplements, all drug contra indications and interactions and recent research findings.

J x 

• Posted

hi jean

no i dont get breathless ..

dont worry i do alot of research into everything .. ( ex nurse cant help it ) 

i not only read about everything i take

but always google danger of - side effects of 

then you get straight to the point 😀

just got my results - they give you them here

so need to study them and arrange to see the Doc 

jayx

• Posted

Hi Jay

Thanks for this.

I was wondering how long you have been ill for with the thyroid problem.

• Posted

hello Jean 

its not just thyroid thats on the borderline..

it seems looking at results i have Vit D defficiency 

and very low blood Glucose ( that will explain my constant hunger feelings of late, trembles, hot flushes, shakyness and feeling generally shattered.) 

B12 is also low 

blimey .. Doctors it is the 

jay x

• Posted

Hi Jay

It does not surprise me.

VIT d as you know is a hormone and a low vit d can lead to lots of other conditions.

What is your vit D level at the moment?

• Posted

its on my report as insufficient range ..

it was before hence the calcium and D3 supplement previously.

i did stop all my vits etc for about 3 weeks before the test..

it is not inferior deficient .. ( below 10ng/ml)

its insufficient range ( 10ng/ml - 30ng/ml) 

mine is 28 

i looked at that site you put on - very good thanks 

jay x

so spanish sun not boosting me then 😕

• Posted

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional

Hi Jay

The above link may give you some more info re the values that you should be aiming for in order to avcheive an optimal Vit D level. Vit D as you know is different inasmuch as it is a hormone and can prevent a lot of horrible diseases and inflammation.

Complex but I think that we have to know about it so we can aim to improve our quality of life.

If dietry or oral Vit D is not being absorbed for some reason then perhaps Vit D injections under medical supervision to monitor the phosphate, parathyroid hormone, calcium levels are done at the same time.

• Posted

I sent you a link to an American site explaining the Vit D values and giving more info on the subject of vit D deficiency. It mAY COME THROUGH TOMORROW .
    • Posted

Suddenly not being able to walk hills I had walked for years was one of my early hyp symptoms

• Posted

How long after the signs and symptoms appeared or worsened were you diagnosed?

How was the diagnosis made? Did you have a CTPA scan at any point?

• Posted

10 months. Had migraines from Tramadol. Had every test you can have. No one in Dallas tx that I saw could figure it out nor did they seem too interested in helping. Tried all kinds of doctors plus therapists, chirps neuro two physiatrist s there and finally moved to St. Louis. At one point a pain doctor told me I had cervical dystonia. I did not but my blood pressure could have caused a stroke after that diagnosis. It's been a real horror show. 
    • Posted

Worst symptom of all was I could not sit down. Sitting started the spasms. I could only walk around  I haven't seen you mention that symptom and I'm happy for you!  Once I was taped I was able to sit down again and just used a car boozer that was higher at the back and lower at my knees. 
    • Posted

Do you think that these opiates triggered off the thyroid problems?

As stated previously I am sure that the perampanel now banned in USA triggered off the damage to my immune system which was compounded by the three antibiotics that were prescribed some four days later. Four days after taking the abs I woke up with very cold, very heavy legs and felt very stiff. I also hd spasms in my shoulder blade which kept catching mybreath and bringing me to a standstill.

No one listened to me. I was in hospital but nothing was ever done except being humiliated at the lack of action of tests and without a diagnosis.

As I keep stressing it was not until I had the ctpa scan to exclude an embolism that the incidental finding of a multi nodular goitre waas found. Now drs HAVE to take me seriiously I hope and do the thyroid screening. Hprror story is an understatement when I think what I have ben through. I thought that I was losing my sanity. However I was told yesterday by an advanced nurse practitioner in endocrinology that these signs and symptoms are absolutely typical of a thyroid disorder.

She advised me to ask my GP to do the FreeT4, tSH, TFH receptor antibody test, she said that other antibody tests were not necessary as the signs and symptoms were enough to tell her thst there was a poblem with the thyroid. She said that it could be either hyper or hypo. SHE HAS NEVER MET ME IT WAS JUST OVER THE PHONE.

Jean

• Posted

I ddid mention that I felt like I was sitting on rocks.

I still do and also have saddle numness with wasted core muscles due to statins.

Lying down makes the peripheral neuropathy worse. I do not know whatto do anymoe and keep getting flashbacks to whem all this started and also when I used to have a proper life where I could walk around just like everyone else I know.

Terry what is a car boozer?

• Posted

We will never know what one or maybe three things caused the problems. Doctors don't know what causes frozen shoulders either but in the UK they call it menopause shoulder.   Sitting for me caused my neck to spasm. Write all your symptoms down in order if you can. Be concise. They only have so much time and describing the pain more than once will take up important time.  
    • Posted

I have to keep moving around from chair to chair. I bought a leather recliner costing £850 but it made everything worse so disposed of it.

I am fed up with this neuropathic pain or is it?

I think the burning is exacerbated by certain meds but the problem is from the discs in the neck and lumbar vertebrae. I have osteoporosis so physio is limited. I have heard of the technique you described where the therapist holds your head then moves it to release spasms.

I have had blood clots so they may be wary about doing anything strenuous.

Why does thyroid disease cause such deep depression?

Jean

• Posted

Yes I don't have diabetes but probably carry the gene.  I stopped taking it D about a year ago when hearing from a magnesium website that it was a hormone and we shouldn't self medicate with it. Who knows!  My surgeon for first shoulder agrees with diabetes marker theory...

• Posted

I tried to send website and again it flashes and says it's being moderated. Please just look for the pressure pointer web site with that name and then search for he pressure pointer manual. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.