NECK pain glandular fever

Posted , 11 users are following.

6 weeks in with glandular fever. Is this neck pain normal. Glands are now back down to normal. My neck pain has started up again tonight? Has anyone else got this symptom. It's making me really really anxious thinking is abnormal??? Xxx

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Omg that is how mine started out!! Is yours at the back of your neck?! My pain is at the back and radiates up the back of my head and I swear my throat swells up whenever my glands swell!!' Freaks me out

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, yes at the base of my skull.  Initially I couldn't turn my head or look up for the swelling and pain and dizziness, but that eased and then I was just left with an ache at the base of my skull and my groin if I did too much, which could be something as little as standing for 15 minutes......it's so weird.......I'm so thankful for this site as I along with my friends thought I was going mad!!!!!   Xxx

• Posted

Katy,

Yeah it's all soo weird crazy different symptoms from eye pain and pain in both arm pits and pain under my left rib cage!!  I'm so over this dang virus!! I just to be normal again!! And the minute I feel like I'm feeling ok I try to do too much and it knocks me back 5 steps!! So hard for me to sit and do nothing before I was always on the go!! And of course everyone says oh I had that in high school and I was back to normal in 4 weeks!! Sigh!! Mine started mid June end of July so hang in there!! I would have another csection to make this go away!!! 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, it will only leave to when it's ready!!!!!  I'm just frightened of it returning now.  I've felt really good now for nearly a week........I'm usually really active too, gym, run and have a very physical job and a family, so have found it hard but it's true what everyone says you can't fight it you just have to rest and ignore everyone else's ignorance........it truly is awful.......I think when people physically see you and see the fatigue in your face and the bags under your eyes (which took 3 weeks to go, ) they realise!!!!!  I was exhausted just by friends coming over for a chat.  They could see me dropping off!!!!!  Just listen to your body and when it aches rest.  Be prepared for a long wait but it will come and you will feel better again.....stay strong.  Xxx

• Posted

Hey Rosanna / Katy / Jennifer,

It was over 10 years ago since i had the virus now, and thanks to God the last 9 of those have been generally heahtly - and that is going to be the same for you guys too. If you can survive that first awful few months and the first year then you will definitely feel recovery - and hoping it will come much quicker than that for you all because it's different for everyone.

I also had a failed attempt at going back to work, and took a looong phased recovery to get back full time again. Most important thing is getting yourself well again, without any doubt whatsoever. For me, I think a major turning point came after 9-10 months, but that doesn't mean to say it's going to be as long as that for everyone - I could have done things differenlty to help myself earlier I think, and the more rest and recovery time and good vitamins you get early on the better it can only be for a speedy recovery!

Thinking of you all and hang in there - and remember it DOES go away and you WILL get better, no matter how far from it you may feel today.

Take care and just take it one day at a time

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Katy!! I'm a control freak and when you can control your health it's the worst!! The symptom I have now is it feels as though I have a lump in my throat, my tonsils aren't swollen at all and feels like I have a hard time talking sometimes!! Did you ever experience this??!

• Posted

Hey Jennifer....it could be the same thing as I had, which was a 'reactive gland', which was just swollen and sore all the time throughout the time I had the virus. This is just your body's immune system naturally reacting to infection - nothing to worry about. Check with your doctor though and most important thing is to try not to worry (hard as it may be I know),

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig,

I have an appt with an ent on Tuesday so I'm hoping it can rest my worries!! Ugh!!! It just seems never ending!!! 

• Posted

Btw can they give you anything for the swelling?? I have been popping ibuprofen for 2 months now and does not seem to do to much so I've been laying off taking as much!'

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, now you mention it, couldn't see anything or feel anything but felt like the back of my throat was narrowing.....can't explain it really....did ask my dr but he had a look but couldn't see anything.  Worse when I laid down.  

I know what you mean about not being in control.  Xxx

• Posted

I do have a question to throw out there!! So all of this started back in middle to end of June and at the end of June I went to clinic and they said I had strep, I think that's when it started! I didn't get tested till August 10th and she said results were not an active case but my #'s were high which indicated I had been fighting it for a couple months!' Wait, what so I do have it or I don't?! I never got a clear answer so I talked to my sister who is a PA and she said yes I have been fighting it for awhile!! Here were my results:

Ebv igm <36

igg 447

Nuclear >600 (high)

Any insights!!  Most everything on the internet States I don't have an active case but have been exposed to it!! How in the world could I have all these symptoms and not have an active case!! I dont get it!! 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

?Join the club, my daughter and I have the same results showing we had it, but the infection has cleared, we are still feeling the affects of this virus, some say it is the immune response to the virus or the die off of the virus. It is a rough one. I think that they don't understand this virus fully and maybe someday we will have the answers. Rest, rest and more rest is the only advise I have to give.

• Posted

Hi mono too,

How long after we're y'all tested when you first started having symptoms?? Mine started I think first to middle part of june and did not get tested till August 10th!! 

I've read online if you are active it can show up to a year of the initial onset of symptoms!

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

​

​I was diagnosed at the end of October 2016 and started feeling really awful around Christmas last year. Started feeling better in April with the off and on periods of feeling terrible, then in July I had a relapse (not as bad as before) but it brought the low feelings. nausea, achiness and tiredness. My daughter was diagnosed in April finally after being sick since November last year. We got it from my teenage granddaughter who got sick last summer and she recovered around Christmas last year. 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, 

I too am a control freak. My health was everything and being that I can't control it gives me such anxiety and depression. I am in my ninth month of this. Things have gotten better but still have lingering symptoms: throat tightness/pain, gastro problems, fatigue, pins and needles in my legs and arms-off and on, muscle pain-off and on and my voice is horse or cracks at times. Aloe Vera juice has helped with that. But the throat tightness is still present. I use to have the lump feeling in my throat that has gone away. That was sooo annoying. 

I actually have been diagnosed with reactivatived mono. I'm not sure how this can be because I've never had this before in my life. I would definitely remember this. Like Mono said Dr's just don't understand the virus fully. All I was told is I have to let it run its course after reading you only get it once. Ugh! 

I have come a long way since the beginning. I'm just wondering when will all of this go away for good. 

• Posted

My goodness!!' Sigh!!! My tiredness only lasted about a month it's all the other bothersome symptoms that have me down and feelings of helplessness!! The neck pain and what feels like it's swollen but I can't feel any glands back there and recently started having itching as soon as the swelling goes down, but the funny thing is you can't see that it's swollen but I can feel it, maybe it's just the pain from it, which that alone has been so scary to me for some reason!! And now this throat thing that is going on what seems like aftery neck starts hurting feels like my throat is swollen in there as well, I guess with all the glands in there!

I'm nervous about ent visit and what they will stick down my throat. I have horrible gag reflux and would hate to throw up on a Dr!! Just want some words that I'm not the only one feeling these strange symptoms!! Oh and the pain in my armpits which come and go mainly my left one is nerve wracking as well!! Thank you for responding I feel like I don't have anyone else I can talk to about this!! And I've lost so much weight that my husband threatened to drop me of at cicis pizza for the day, lol!!  Trying to find humor in this!!!

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, 

You are definitely not alone. I have the neck stiffness as well, forgot to mention that. My neck stiffness started in June which was month 6 for me.  My neck was really tight in June where I could not left my head or turn right or left suddenly. I have pain in my left arm pit at times too. 

I seen an ENT doctor they didn't see anything but redness. The actually put a numbing solution in my nose and inserted the probe into my nostril down into my throat. They needed to look at the sinuses too. It wasn't bad at all. It took maybe 2 minutes. 

I don't have anyone to talk to either. My husband is all out of patience with me and just can't understand. He feels that I am overreacting and everything will heal in time. He has been very supportive through it all but still just can't understand. 

I hope things go well with your ENT visit. 

• Posted

Thanks shawnatwo,

I think I could handle the neck pain by itself but the throat tightness and feeling of a lump is driving me to wanna drink, but I know that would set me back!! I even quit drinking coffee as I noticed anyime I would drink it I would feel sick after!!! I'm

Going to ent on Tuesday just to make sure I'm not going crazy but nervous about what they will see!! I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and of course goggle my symtomps and I've already convinced myself I have cancer!! When I first started having eye pain I called and made an appt and told the girl I was sure I had eye cancer!!! Until I read other people had eye pain as well

Being on this health site and talking and sharing symptoms is such a relief as not one of friends understanda and I'm begging to think my husband thinks I'm making all this up!! 

• Posted

Shawnatwo, question on your throat tightness did you feel like the more you talked the harder it was to the point like you couldn't even talk!!! I don't have throat  pain just discomfort it's soooo freaking weird!!!

• Posted

Jennifer, 

If it weren't for this site I would be lost somewhere. 

In the beginning I thought I had cancer all throughout my body. I was losing weight rapidly plus the symptoms. Google was not good for me. I had panic attacks, unable to sleep for days or couldn't fall asleep. I am sooooo happy I am past that. I am just really upset that this virus has messed with my tummy and given me heartburn that burns to my nose. I am praying sooo hard that this is part of the virus and it will all go away in time. My husband sure feels that way. I don't eat much due to stomach pain. 

Regarding my throat, sometimes it's hard to talk for long periods of time. It's like I'm strsining to get words out. Sometimes I have a hoarse voice. My throat and neck are just so tight. 

I had a good month in May to July where my appetite return ALOT and my stomach just went away no heartburn nothing. Gained my weight back. Just a little fatigue and some brain fog but it all come back in July with nausea. I don't have the nausea anymore thank goodness. 

This virus has reeked havoc on my life and relationships. 

• Posted

Thank you so much relieved to hear it's not bad at ent of course I read on Google and about passed out reading what people wrote!!!  Ugh!!! What state are you from?? I live in Texas near dallas!'

• Posted

I'm sorry shawnatwo, yes my throat I have the same issue where I feel like I am straining to speak, it is just freaking awful and I'm in retail so I have to talk all day but nowadays I hide in my office and only talk if I have too!!'  I have not tummy issues but my throat feels like it's burning up sometimes I've been taking tums like they are candy!!' I feel ya sister this is no joke!!

• Posted

By the way Google is definitely not my friend. I try to stay off of there as much as possible. 
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer, I am in month 13. Have delt with the symptoms you have listed. A table spoon or even a teaspoon of apple cider in a fourth cup of water will help the burning in throat if it is caused by reflux. The tums cause it to be worse.

Praying for all.

Rhonda

• Posted

Shawnatwo, shut the front door!!! I live in terrell which is near forney!!!! If you ever need a friend I'm here for ya!!! 

My best friend, well who I thought was is p****d off because I haven't called or come over when I explained what was going on, I just got the cold shoulder like ya right you have been sick since June!!! Heartless people I tell ya!!'

• Posted

Hi Rhonda, 

Do you have burning throat caused by this virus or did you have reflux before this virus?  I'm just trying to figure out if what I'm experiencing is this virus and will go away or will I be stuck with this. I didn't have any of this until this virus hit and stomach meds makes things worse. 

• Posted

Rhonda21886,

Seriously with the tums??  This started about a month ago and comes and goes but I have noticed when I take the tums it does not do much!!' I will have to try to cider thanks for the tip!!'

• Posted

I wasn't really bothered with reflux until I had thevirus. I think the anxiety and stress caused it. It is gone for the most part now thsnk The Lord!

• Posted

Wow! Small world. I am north of you and Dallas. I live near Frisco. I say near Frisco because no one knows where Little Elm is. 

No one understands. They look at us and believe we are just fine. This virus plays around with our mind as well.  I just don't want to be like this forever. I read a lot of scary stories in the beginning of my virus that said I wouldn't get better. But I found this forum of supportive people and have a conversation with someone who have been through all that we have and he says it will all go away in time. We just have to respect our bodies and have some patience with it. 

• Posted

Thank the lord yours has gone away. 

Mines went away for a couple months but has come back with stress. Just praying it's all part of the virus. 

Thank you for sharing. 

• Posted

Yes!' Easier said then done!! 😀😀 thanks for the kind words and making me feel a little more at ease!!! My poor husband has been so patient with this and even though he thinks I might be faking a little( he's a cop so doesn't trust anyone) he's been great!! Esp helping with our 3 1/2 year old!! Will keep ya in my prayers 

• Posted

Have any of y'all tried yoga with having this?? I was reading it can help. I'm thinking yoga, yeah right it takes me all day to clean my dang house and get laundry done!! Makes me tired thinking about doing it, but looking for something to try!! If I do to much it sets me back so I'm a little nervous about doing it!! I was doing a camp 3 days a week before all of this started so it's so hard not to excercise!! But just so worried and thinking since this is momth 3 I should wait until I at least have 2 to 3 good days before I try anything

• Posted

I tried jogging about 2 months ago. Although it helped with my racing heart, I crashed and burned badly.  I started jogging again because my heart rate was high. I haven't jogged since.  I was an avid runner before this.  

My husband believes I'm just making this up. He feels I should have a better mindset through this. It's hard when you see your life being stripped from you so quickly. I usually have such a positive attitude but this virus has dampened my spirits a lot. 

I love that you have a since of humor through this. I'm praying you don't have to suffer long. 

• Posted

Girl I try too!' My hubby just complained and said I don't feel good my nose is stuffy!' I was like boy please I wish I had your problems!! Lol!!

I try to use humor in everything because somehow it makes me feel better!!' Check this guy out he always makes me

Smile and keeps my mind off this mess we are in!! 

https://youtu.be/SZ9iWZuE3R4

• Posted

Hi Jennifer I got tested 3 weeks in, after my GP was sick of seeing me!!!!  I was only rechecked again twice and on the 2nd occasion it said I was a weak positive and on the 3rd occasion a strong positive!!!!  I don't get it????  I have no answers to your question though, other than it's just a weird virus that looks like it takes many forms!!!!  

• Posted

Hey everyone,

Reading your messages and thinking of you all still. Jennifer, not sure what's the best for the swelling, maybe some immune boosting supplements like oregano or echinicea could be helpful as well as the usual ibuprofen / naproxen / paracetamol type stuff.

Katy, it's so hard to keep a good mindset whilst going through it, it's easy to say that but much harder to do when going through tough times. I'm finding that part of it tough too at the moment with my back.

Rhonda...you continue to be a wonderful inspiration....thank you for your prayers and also praying for everyone here to get well again - God wants us all well I truly believe that.

Thinking of you too Shawna...hang in there this will pass over just hoping today can be a good day for us all.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.