New Knee

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi TKR people! So, I was quite surprised by the amount of pain post-op. I also was not as "twilight" state as hoped and heard the banging and sawing. Carpentry on my leg.Anyhow the drugs made me feel awful and the pain was quite intense for the first few weeks. Now I am back in my own home (used a Retirement home for few weeks) and just finished the 12 allowed physio appointments at the hospital. I have 0/115 ROM and really want more - I grew up hyper-extended and had incredible flexibility. I am finding that I am stiffer this week than last..walking a bit peg-legged and achy too. Pain at night still wakes me but better. I use Tylenol and Curcumin but really don't want the other drugs - they make me feel sick.I think I need more guidance on exercises and probably need a gym - not just my stretching and quad/hamstring stuff. My other knee is NG - but the thought of going through that pain and the post-op crazies is very daunting. I am open to advice and hope I will be brave enough next year to do the other one. Now how do I increase my ROM!!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Here ya go...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

A few thoughts...

- ROTFL at your first comments!!!  It's hysterical how many of us (close to ALL) did not expect that amount of pain.  I think if the docs told you pre-op, you'd never have the procedure done.  I've had four kidney stones and would gladly have another before knee #2.

- You need to have some very realistic expectations on flexion.  No one knows the limits of these devices so we all err on the side of caution.  +120 is usually seen as the minimum to lead a normal life, walk, climb stairs, etc.  A lot of people report that after they do the exercising for the muscle rebuild, 125-135 is pretty common.  The big caution is going past 140 (athlete range) or trying to get your heel to touch your butt (+161).  Those flexions are absolutely unnecessary and may (we don't know) damage the device or affect its predicted lifespan.  Everyone makes their own choices but I wouldn't recommend testing the limits of the implant.

- The above post regarding stairs is controversial because the method I describe (and a lot of other people were taught) is the exact OPPOSITE of what a whole other group of people were taught.  All I know is that I was climbing stairs two at a time at 14 months without holding onto anything.  Make your choice.

Post this on your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

...and don't forget your oars for the boat part...

• Posted

Your comments really made me smile!  I am 7 weeks post op.  I can totally relate to almost everything you’ve said!  I too could hear the hammering, etc!  The meds just made me not care!

The pain is extraordinary!  Why are they not more honest about how much pain you will be in? I had an early morning surgery & was up walking that afternoon thinking what had I gotten myself into!  My other knee is not good either.  BUT...the thought of having the other knee done makes me nauseous!  Seems like most people have the 2nd one done so it all must be good in the end..but hey...I’m going to think long & hard about it as narcotics make me violently ill.  Will be interested to read other comments.

Can’t  give you advice as you are further along than me.  Chico Marx always gives good advice.  

Just wanted you to know that I can totally relate!

Best of luck to you with your journey of recovery!

• Posted

Thank you...  And don't make any decisions about #2 when you're only 7 weeks into a year-long recovery from #1.  Honestly, I have no idea how people can have a second one done soon after the first...or those who opt for simultaneous bilateral surgery.  I realize that there are those who have no choice when both knees are truly failing.  IMHO, I would do everything to recover from #1 and rebuild all that muscle strength before doing #2.  To me, it would be like not having a leg to stand on. 

People make their choices...and sometimes they have few good options.  I know I need #2 done but it's holding up well right now with zero pain.  Instead, I also have a metal hip ('09) plus four spine surgeries in the past 5 years...two fusions.  Forty-five years of playing hockey did take its toll but I don't regret one minute of ice time.  Now, I'm the TSA's worst nightmare at the airport. Still, I wish I could be playing in an Over-70 league right now...........

• Posted

Thanks! I am only 10 weeks but feel like it has been forever. Thanks for your post. One of my big concerns is range of motion. Although I have reached 115 it feels like I might not go much further. I was told that at 12 weeks you pretty will have as much as you will get. Chico seems to imply differently and that would make me very happy. I need to join a gym and face facts. What a trip!
    • Posted

I finished PT at 12 weeks p/o with -1 / +123.  Last visit to the doc and I'm more like 0 / +133 at 2+ years.  Everyone is different...you do the best you can but the additional exercise does help loosen up the joint, alleviate stiffness and rebuild the necessary musculature to support the knee.

You have to have a sense of humor after your first wife dies of breast cancer at age 34, you get divorced from your second after 25 years of marriage and your third has brain aneurysm surgery only six months after the wedding.  Plus I've had 30 general anesthesia ops in the past 18 years (mostly minor stuff like trigger fingers, a new hip, two spine fusions...ya know...minor stuff).  Forty-five years of hockey takes its toll...  Forget the insane world we live in...focus on love and family...be happy for the life you've been given and make the most of it.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/two-guys-with-canes-limp-into-a-bar--534980

• Posted

Oooohhhh no can’t believe you heard them sawing and banging. Nnnooooo way

i am told some people elect to be awake if they have had a spinal block. 😢

• Posted

They told me that the spinal was the best way to go. I had had bad experiences with anesthetic before so it sounded like a plan. They told me the Twilight drug would make me forget everything. I forgot nothing. I even remember the post op with the narcotics making me so sick both physically and mentally and spiritually. I need to concentrate on this leg and not think about the fact that I do need the other knee done. I really appreciate this forum. Thanks for your feedback.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.