New symptoms

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, today at work I experienced a new kind of attack I believe and I was wondering if anyone else has and can alleviate some of my anxieties surrounding it. 

So I had just given meds to a patient walked away and suddenly I felt a massive pressure in my left ear and when I walked it felt like I was going off to the left side, like I was tilted. 

I had to remain at work for a couple of hours while waiting for a replacement nurse. During this time I had some pins and needles in the left side of my face, rolling nausea, head spinning, no nystagmus but occasional spin when looking from one place to another and extreme hot flushes. I’m still experiencing the fluctuating nausea and head spins and almost like my eyes are detached from my brain. 

I’ve not had this before and it’s worrying me.

So please if you’ve experienced similar please let me know so I can relax a little. 

Thank you in advance 

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi sarah  unfortunately this is all part of meneries  it sometimes can come on stronger and you fall its the most horrible feeling love are you on any medicines yet to try help you with this it can came and go sometimes weaker or stronger love but it all part of md

• Posted

Yes I am on 16mg TDS betahistine. It has stopped the nystagmus and ondansatron has saved me nausea and vomiting wise. I would like to try a diuretic next however my gp won’t prescribe it so going to see a different one tomorrow and try my luck with them. 
    • Posted

I am taking 16mg betahistine TDS, an anti nausea tab, when necessary and a diuretic and I still have bouts of vertigo and sickness. I know when it’s about to errupt. I get a dull ache in the back of my head, then my eyes start to spin. Everything is moving! I also feel as though my head is going to drop off my neck! This can last for 10 mins. to over an hour. Driving  in the car yesterday in the flickering sunlight started an episode.

But this is not the same as absolute sudden onset  of spinning when I have keeled over.

I fell so rapidly and heavily  against the bathroom door that I knocked it off it’s hinges!

This is what I am afraid of, that if I am on my own outside,I could fall into the path of traffic.

I won’t go out without someone being with me.

• Posted

hi sarah I take 24mg a day of betahistine  which helps me but I still feel like iam on a boat swaying all the time don't think you are on your own sarah there is quite a few of us here to talk to hope all goes well just a quick note it does take a few good weeks to get the tablets working on us love try not to change to much medicines at one time good luck sarah

• Posted

Thanks, the facial numbeness has returned with some ear fullness. 

Do you have vertigo or nystagmus on that?

I’m on week 7 now, had enough already. I can’t afford to lose my job, and being a single parent too makes this distressing for my daughter too. It’s all on the verge of falling apart 

• Posted

I’m sorry you still get the nystagmus. 

That’s the thing I am most grateful not to be experiencing anymore (touch wood). 

I am keen to try the diuretic at least. 

Yesterday was a whole new experience for me, was horrible 

• Posted

1) That sounds like a 'drop attack'. I am convinced you need to raise the dose of betahistine significantly until your symptoms are fully under control.

2) Should you be driving whilst not fully controlled??

• Posted

Hello, no this isn’t a drop attack. I had one of those when hanging washing on the line, just dropped, no dizziness or spinning, no warning. Cracked the back of my head on the garden path and landed up in A and E and a glued head.

The episode I had was a so severe bout of spinning that I just fell to one side.Ive had a few of these but thankfully not regularly. I have vertigo and sickness bouts every day!

I wasn’t driving, luckily, I was a passenger. I don’t drive.

• Posted

You need to be re-assessed by youir Consultant as that attack was so different from previous. If not done recently you should probably have an MRI to check nothing new is occurring and put your mind at rest.
    • Posted

Yeah unfortunately I don’t see my consultant until September, however a consultant I worked with while doing my training has agreed to try and help me out after sending him a message begging him for help. 

I’ve not had an MRI yet, I can only imagine it’s very very uncomfortable what with all the noise 

• Posted

I just had an MRI 2 weeks ago.  It was very loud, but it did not worsen any of my symptoms.  The MRI did not show anything abnormal.  Part of me is happy about that, but part of me is sad also bc I was hoping for more answers.   That being said, two different doctors have now concluded that I have classic Ménière’s and that I need to best manage it with a strict healthy diet, low salt, no caffeine or alcohol, and drink plenty of water.   I have recently started drinking something called ‘snake juice’.  You can search for it on YouTube.  It has made my tinnitus almost completely gone!!   The basic ingredients are water, apple cider vinegar, No Salt (found in the spices aisle; it is made of potassium chloride), and lemon juice.  The recipe also calls for regular salt, but I omit that part.   I’ve been drinking it for 1.5 weeks and do feel like it is helping.

• Posted

I know what you mean, I luckily have some connections and I’m seeing a consultant tomorrow who is going to pull some strings for me and get some testing done. 

I’m quite keen to have an mri as Just the relief of it being nothing more serious would be welcomed. 

I’ve not had caffeine for about 4 years already and no alcohol for 3. 

The low salt, I’ve not looked into yet but looking up recipes etc to try to get on track with it. 

I hope we all get some answers at some stage. I will be going private soon if things don’t pick up! 

• Posted

Definitely switch to a low salt diet.  Both ENT doctors told me that that is the most important change to make as salt will increase the fluid in your ear.  Try it. I think you will feel better.  Just eat more fresh foods and no fast food or processed foods.  It’s hard at first but it’s worth it to feel better.
    • Posted

I will definitely try. 

What should I be reducing it to? 

Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.