Nicotine Vs Colitis

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Guys,

What i am about to say is unbelievable. I did a search on google for "can nicotine cure colitis" and what came up is incredible! There seems to be a link between smoking and colitis. As in not many smokers develope colitis in fact they say that out of x amount of patients who have Ulcerative colitis only about 10% of them are smokers the rest are made up of non-smokers or ex-smokers. Me im the later i packed up smoking about 3 yrs ago and a year ago i was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Now this dont mean im gonna go out and buy 20 bensons but there are now alternatives to getting nicotine inside us. Theres vaper fags or nicotine patches. Im defo going to give one a try because i am sick of running to the loo every hour! So guys how many of you are ex-smokers and developed UC after they packed up? Has anybody in our group started smoking again and had positive results? When i was diagnosed with UC just over a year ago my consultant asked me if i was a smoker and when i said i had packed it in he said then that was a link between smoking and UC. When i read up on my google search you can even get nicotine suppositories, @#@# that! ive had enough botty action to last me a life time im going for the other alternatives. Give me your thoughts please guys.

Terry x

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I developed uc after quitting the weed 25 years ago ....after putting in a horrendous few months I started again and of course it settled ! When I decided at a later time to stop again I used the gum ....it helped a bit but am afraid uc has reached point now I'm having ileostomy !
    • Posted

Hi Maryjo,

So is it now too late for you to try the E-cigs? Im at the end of my tether with the UC and feel i have to do something drastic now. Desperate isn't it (sad face)

Terry x

• Posted

Hi Terry....I no and I have lost so much of my life to it ....months of flares,months of not feeling well over the years....it is a very destructive disease and so many of us suffer. They will find a cure for it but it will take time. I hope u get relief from urs. Just keep researching and u may get something which helps urs. Hav u researched psyllium husk and psyllium seed...it's pretty good . Anyway I wish u well with whatever u try MJ x
    • Posted

I stopped smoking 25 years ago and a year after I stopped I started feeling sick. It took about three years to get full blown Colitis but it's a little worse every year. I was told it is a disease of non-smokers. My father had Colitis but kept it in remission all his life because he smoked two packs a day. On the other hand he died at 68 of Lung Cancer. I think Mayo is trying to find a delivery system for the Nicotine that works as well at smoking. 

• Posted

Same for me sad I stopped smoking new years day 2014, less than a month later I was passing bloody, mucousy loose stools. When I Had my sigmoidoscopy my consultant asked if I had recently stopped smoking and explained the link! I couldn't believe it. I haven't started smoking again but it's hard to take in that smoking was keeping it at bay. I have read that if ex smokers start smoking again the UC calms down but interestingly if a non smoker with UC starts to smoke it does not have any benefit.

Incidently I used ecigarette's to give up so it must be more complex than just the nicotine. .. probably one of the other thousand toxic chemicals in fags!!

• Posted

Hi Missey,

Good point about all the other chemicals! Im going to give the E-fags a go and see what happens? Worst ways i may consider going back on the Bensons! I know probably not a good idea but i have had enough of this bloody UC i will let all know what happens.

Terry x

• Posted

I developed UC about five years after stopping a 40 a day habit. I was once in hospital because my UC got so bad and I started smoking two ciggies a day and my UC cleared up very quickly. However it's not just the nicotine, I've tried nicotine patches, vapors and gum none of them have any effect only actual ciggerrettes.

I'm good now diet and lifestyle changes have got me healthy but I have always said if things get very bad again I will start smoking two ciggies a day until it clears up.

The thing is after so many years of non smoking it did makes me feel sick as a dog but it only took a couple of weeks to calm things down then I stopped again.

• Posted

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info. As i suspected the only thing that is going to do it is real ciggies. I am going all out with patches, nicorette sucky things and e-ciggies. I am going to buy myself a proper vaping kit over the weekend and give that a go aswell. If none of that works im gonna go back on the Bensons mate! I have really had enough of this bloody UC that we are all suffering with and if fags can put me back to normal life im gonna go for it.

Cheers Terry

• Posted

I gave up smoking 12 months ago next week and I got UC in between June and December. I did her very bad food poisoning from chicken in June last year which hospitalised me for 2 weeks which also could have caused it but smoking could also be a link. I do occasionally use an electronic cig but wouldn't say it eases any symptoms and won't start smoking again but I completely get where your coming from.
  • Posted

Yep same here, 

I stopped smoking 40 a day in 2000, by 2003 I had UC. My consultant said that I had made it worse by stopping the fags dead, instead of cutting down or using patches. I said I only stopped because I couldn't afford them, so if they could give me a prescription for 200 Bensons a week I'd be fine.

Chris Warr.

• Posted

My dad has had UC for 20 years, and on the advice of his doctor he resumed smoking and has been almost entirely med-free since.

He has so far found - one pipe every other day seems to be the right amount - less that that and he starts flaring up again.

E-cigs and patches are not as effective. His doctor thinks theres some other factor in actual tobacco that affects it, just nicotene replacement is not enough.

I have been recently diagnosed, and if my condition gets worse in the future I will be trying this, im a life-long non-smoker.

• Posted

My understanding is smoking only benefits ex smokers, the research I have done suggests that ex smokers who developed UC do seem to gain remission when smoking, however non smokers who start to smoke gain no benefit from smoking. How strange is that?
    • Posted

Do we know if non-smokers get no benefit from starting smoking, or just no benefit from purely nicotene therapy?
    • Posted

My understanding is non smokers gain no benefit from starting smoking cigarettes.
    • Posted

Hi stormtreader

Its incredable aint it, i did start on the patches and e-cigs and noticed a small change. But i have since started smoking fags as from Tuesday just gone im on 5 a day so far and so far one dramatic change is i have actually slept through the night. The first time in almost a year, unbelievable! its still early days but i am going to give it a go before we go down the surgery road. if it dont work for me i can always pack up smoking again. Just to clarify i stopped smoking 3 years ago and developed UC about 2 years later, i have been a long time smoker so im not sure it works for people who have never smoked. I really hope this works for me im sooooo desperate to get back to normal poos and normal life. Will keep all posted on my results.

Terry x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.