Not liking CBT / unsure what to do.

Posted , 9 users are following.

So I’ve recently started CBT, and I really wanted to be positive about it and go in with high spirits and trust and openness... but I really hate it, every minute of it. The first phone conversation I had with my therapist went pretty good and I was quite excited before the first session (which was meant more as an assessment and not an actual CBT session). My GP even said at one point, about this first initial assessment “let’s see what the expert says”, meaning the therapist (aka Wellbeing Practitioner). But when I actually got there and as we started talking I soon started to feel really uncomfortable sharing things, and I hated her responses, they felt so rehearsed and weird. It felt condescending the way she was talking to me and I just didn’t feel “safe”. I still did my best to try and share as much as I could and be honest but there are lots of things I didn’t mention even tho I had planned to tell her. Anyway I’ve now had one session of what they’re calling “guided self-help” (basically CTB type therapy) and it’s beyond a doubt the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever tried. The conversation felt totally scripted (just that I never got my lines), no seriously a few time I said something and she didn’t know how to respond, it was little talking to a fish! And she’s barely older than me, probably fresh out of training (and most definitely not an “expert” as my GP assumed).

I’m not sure what to do now, I have another appointment on Wednesday but I really don’t want to go. I really want to back out and say this isn’t for me but my GP really hasn’t got anything else to offer me (I don’t think) and I don’t want it to look like I’m unwilling to get better or like I’m throwing the only thing I agreed to back in his face (as I said I didn’t really want any meds yet). Any suggestions? Should I just stick it out a few more sessions? If I decide to quit, should I tell my GP that I’ve done that, should I go talk to him first about wanting to stop with the CBT before I tell my therapist anything? I really don’t know what to do.

My GP also doesn’t really have the full story of how bad it’s gotten, mainly because it’s just been getting worse and worse. The first time I saw him it really wasn’t so bad but then in the weeks following that first appointment everything got just so much harder for me. Should I tell him? I’m so bad at telling him stuff, I only get 10 min long appointments and I get so nervous because of the time limit. Last time I saw him I was shivering and was in physical pain the whole time (and I didn’t actually tell him why I was really there... just a major fail altogether). Later that day I had what I assume might have been my first real panic attack (maybe) I’ve been dealing with anxiety for a while and I was really depressed for a while a few years ago, but I don’t think I’ve ever had an actual panic attack (if that’s what it was). I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to make another appointment and then not say what I mean to (I have written letters in the past but I really don’t want to do that again either) I feel like he’s so sick of me, or not sick of me; I think he’s frustrated because there’s so little he can do for me. I’m just so confused right now and don’t know what to do.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post. And (for those who got this far) thanks for reading it!

All the best,

Anya

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Anya

My GP recommended CBT for me. I had one session with someone I now know was not a qualified CBT therapist. This was guided self help. I went home and told my husband "this isn't for me." She didn't even grasp that one of issues was overwork and wanted to send me to evening classes to fill my time! My husband pushed me into phoning the office which set up the appointment. It took courage. I said I wanted this to work for me and had felt on the first session that the therapist didn't grasp my situation and kept yawning. I was then transferred to a guy who I now know was the only qualified therapist on the team and what a difference. I had 10 sessions which changed my life. You need to ensure that you see a qualified therapist not someone who reads it all from a paper. I know the organisation of mental health services is different in every area. I was under a system where I could phone the local MIND office and speak to the head of the therapy department. In that situation there were about 10 guided self help people and only one qualified therapist. If I hadn't have taken my courage in both hands and phoned the office I would have either given up or endured the seesions and got absolutely nothing from them. If you have the option of speaking to the person who organises the CBT therapy in your area I strongly encourage you to give it a go.

Best wishes

Eileen

• Posted

Oh thank you so, so much for sharing that. I just did some research and yes there's "Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners" - who I'm seeing, and "Psychological Therapists" but I think the Wellbeing Practitioners are the ones who can refer me to the Therapists, after at least 3 sessions if they feel you need it. But I'm just finding it so difficult to be open with her, I think there's a high possibility she won't realise I qualify (if I do, I'm not even sure).

Oh I don't know what to do... or who to contact, I hate calling people up, I hate talking to people I don't know about this. I think I will just end up going to see my GP again and talk to him about it.

Thanks and best wishes,

Anya

• Posted

From your reply to me I can see that you are good at research and probably enjoy it. I do too. Doing something constructive about a problem breaks the cycle of worry and indecision which makes everything feel worse.  I know only too well how difficult it can be to summon up the courage to speak to someone you don't know about a personal matter. My husband has a real fear of calling up people he doesn't know and I suppose I've always sheltered him from having to do it. Try to find out how your CBT has been arranged. You might find something if you go online and onto the website for your GP surgery. There may even be a facility for e mailing them a question. Otherwise look for your local mental health services and see if they are providing CBT. You may well be able to contact them by e mail. In my experience the Wellbeing practitioners are relucatant to refer you to the qualified therapist as they are few and far between as they are expensive to employ. Many years ago before I brought  anxiety onto myself with overwork and stress I worked for MIND but not in the area where I had the CBT.( It wasn't working for MIND that brought on the stress which triggered the anxiety.)

If only you can step out of your comfort zone and get this sorted you will feel so much more positive and achieve great things. The best thing to do to overcome the fear or dislike of doing something is to face it head on and then you realise that actually you can do it and the worse that will happen is that you will have a few symptoms of anxiety whilst you are doing it and they are like a bully once you face up to them and then ignore them  they lose their power.

Go for it! Use the energy that you are putting into worrying to get you where you want to be. In this case help from a qualified CBT therapist. 

Best wishes

Eileen 

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

Yes, I do quite enjoy doing research, but sometimes knowing I need to research something I’m nervous about makes me put it off. There are some things I can’t bring myself to even start to research. Like all the reading up I did on the NHS thrust and how they work after I got replies to this post I could have done before I posted it I guess but I didn’t, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it because I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for or what I’d do with the info but haveing people to 'talk' to about it and having people sharing they experiences just made it so much easier. It made in interesting as opposed to stressful.

My GP surgery’s pretty small and their webpage is so outdated, there’s no reliable info to be found there. So many doctors are listed on there that don’t work at the practice anymore and the new ones the do arn't listed also lady who listed as the practice nurse is also the previous one, so website is not the best place to get into lol. But the service is really good and I like my GP so I really don’t care if their webpage is outdated.

I think I need to figure out what it is I want, the trust where I’m getting my ‘guided self help’ does have therapists who do CBT and I’m not even sure if my GP knows that what I’m getting at the moment isn’t CBT so I’ve scheduled an appointment with him for Tuesday and I’ll just talk to him (hopefully – if I get stuck I’ll have a letter prepared) and I think that he’ll want me to do the real CBT. I’m pretty sure he can and will put some pressure onto my wellbeing practitioner to refer me for CBT. I’m just not 100% sure I even want CBT. I don’t know, it seem so ridged and weird – the more I read about it the less I think it’s the right thing for me.

Thank you so much, your comments have helped a lot! I will do a little more research today and figure out exactly who I can contact and what else might be available to me then I’ll see my GP on Tuesday, wellbeing practitioner on Wednesday and then if I’ll need to, I’ll start sending emails or maybe even calling up people (would need some hand holding for the calling up I think – I might make another post here and get some courage from all you lovely people).

As much as I sometimes hate to admit it I do need some professional help or else I’ll never be able to live a normal and fulfilled life : ( So yes I’ll do my best to find and get something that works for me.

Thank you for sharing and all the very best,

Anya

• Posted

Hi Anya, From what you have just said re the therapist making the referral to the other kind of therapy, I really feel you might be better talking to them rather than your GP. If you feel you can't do this verbally why don't you write them a polite letter explaining why you feel CBT won't work for you and explaining why you feel the other therapy will be more beneficial, and give this to them at your next session. You may still need to complete these three sessions before they can refer you. They may want to discuss the letter further with you but at least you will have made your feelings clear at the outset. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Yeah you're probably right... I'm just not sure I'll be able to, I guess I could write a letter but oh my I'm going to feel ridiculous giving it to her at my next session! I might go see my GP first anyway and as the therapist comes to the practice to see patients she does have direct contact with the doctors there. Realistically I have all weekend to think about it / draft letters and things so I'll figure it out. You are right though best thing would be to speak to her directly, I just need to find the courage to do that!

​Thanks

• Posted

Hi Anya Rose,

CBT will seem scripted, mainly because it is, just the same as NLP would be or hypnotherapy. CBT relies on learning where you are making the wrong emotional attachment to an event that causes you to act in a specific way. If you lie or don't be open your therapist can't get a handle on you to enable them to pinpoint where the problem area is. Think of tv lie detectors, they always start by asking simple questions with known answers, this sets the base line to work off. You say your therapist is the same age as you, then use that as a bond, next time you see her ask her if she can tell you a bit about herself so you can build that bond. Don't give up, even if you go through the whole process and get nothing out of it you didn't quit. You are strong and most mental health self help is just that guided do it yourSELF help. Hope this helps

David 🙏❤️😀

• Posted

No therapist will tell details about themselves - or they shouldnt. There shouldnt be a friend like bond, thats not at all what its about - if your too familiar, you dont share in the same way, so i wouldnt think a therapist would respond to that.  CBT is not intended to deal with Anxiety that has a root cause, emotional etc, It is generally for anxiety without preconditions, which works for many. But if there is a past issue, whether known or not which is triggering anxiety without a person even recognising the triggers, then the chances of CBT alone working plummets
    • Posted

Hi David,

It’s not even real CBT yet and she’s not even a real therapist (I realised this earlier today doing some research of what's available for me), I mean I guess she is but her title isn’t “therapist”. From what I do know about CBT, even if I do get referred to one of the Psychological Therapists for real CBT, I’m really not sure it’ll be the right thing for me. My GP suggested it and I said I’d give it a go but I think I might actually benefit from something a little less ridged (I don’t fit into their boxes very well). But yes I agree with you, not being open with my therapist isn’t going to get me anywhere – but she just makes me feel so awkward and self-conscious, I plan on being open and really giving it a good go but then I get there and feel so uncomfortable I just can’t go through with it.

I do agree with jmcg2014, I don’t think I can ask her personal questions, it would probably really freak her out and she won’t know how to respond (unless she’s got a prepared/scripted answer for when patients say things like that).

I won’t give up though, I wanted to earlier but I won’t.

Thanks, it does help, that last bit helps most : )

p.s. I follow you on Twitter and you followed me back today… you might not have realised it's me though(?)   ; )

• Posted

Just see it through kiddo, you might learn something 

David ❤️😀🙏

• Posted

I am talking about building rapport with the therapist and this should have been one of the first things established no matter what kind of therapy, and this should have been instigated by the therapist who has obviously not done a very good job. As for CBT, it's an overused tool often taught badly. Sad really because it is a useful diagnostic tool 
  • Posted

Dear Anya, I had some difficult experiences with CBT too.

Where I live there is a local NHS based service called "Healthy Minds" which is mostly CBT.  Patients can refer themselves, or the GP can refer them. I had my doubts about it, because I had been through CBT years ago, and it was very rigid, all about fitting people into boxes.  I didn't fit into any of them.

But I tried this new service, and I was lucky, because the counsellor was really flexible and willing to listen to my experience.  Once she realised I knew a lot about CBT, she spent the time helping me find ways to make it work for me.

Then she referred me on to a "Mindfulness course".  This is very popular now -- it is based on some techniques used in Buddhist meditation but the NHS has decided it's a good thing.  I had done some meditation and knew a bit about it, so thought I would try it out.

Unfortunately, the course was really all about standard CBT, and the trainer was not "mindful" at all!  She just got us doing some silly exercises, and kept saying everyone had anxious thoughts while doing routine jobs at work, or driving to work -- even though it was a daytime course, and most of us were not employed!  "Everyone" was supposed to have standard anxiety symptoms, and when I said mine were a bit different, she didn't want to know.  Boxes, again.

I contacted my original counsellor who was very helpful. I wrote a letter about the mindfulness course, and she said she would pass it on to the people organising it.  So maybe something will change...eventually.

Anya, please carry on writing letters, and don't be embarassed about telling the GP it isn't working for you.  Find out whether they do DBT which might work better for you.  Ask to see another therapist.  Whatever.  This is about your life, not about what the GP thinks of you. 

I think CBT can be useful, but it's quite simplistic, and you need to find someone who can practise it in a flexible way and figure out how it applies to you, not "everyone".

• Posted

Yea mindfulness is popular in the NHS just now,like you my experience of it isn't that good. The problem I think is the NHS take something that might work,then water it down and don't train staff properly to deliver it,so it ends up a bunch t of a pointless exercise
    • Posted

Hi Nora, thanks for this lovely long reply!

“Healthy Minds” sounds like it functions pretty much exactly the same way as “iCope” (which is my local NHS service). I think with all therapy it depends so, so much on who the therapist is. Partially it’s about how good they are and how much experience they have but sometimes there’s also a natural chemistry (for lack of a better word) between two people which really helps.

From what I know, mindfulness is a type of meditation (so not necessarily therapy) developed by some American, based on aspects of Buddhist meditation (he probably just dumbed it down and made it more commercial), and now it’s somehow been intertwined with therapy... I’ve been meaning to look into what the different is between the mindfulness as a therapy and mindfulness just the meditation. iCope does a “mindfulness course” but I doubt it’s any good, probably very similar to what you’ve experienced.

I don’t think they offer DBT. But you’re right, I know I shouldn’t worry about what my GP thinks and I don’t even know why I do, he’s really sweet to me – just a little at a loss as to what to do with me I think. But I’ll probably make an appointment to go see him before my next therapy session, I’ll have a letter with me but I’ll try to talk. If I don’t manage and I hand over a letter, he won’t even be surprised! And then if he says to go see the therapist anyway I think I’ll get a letter ready for her as well.

Thank you so, so much for sharing your experiences, it was really interesting to read and really helpful!

All the best,

Anya

• Posted

Yeah, jgmc, I think you got it in one --- unfortunately. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.