Oh boy

Posted , 11 users are following.

What a nightmare alcoholism IS.  I just got out of the hospital AGAIN.

This time 9 days....17 IV bags of vitamins and fluids.  At LEAST 14 shots of Heprin in my stomach (they do this so you don't blood clot cause I could not move).  I could not WALK, TALK, I was Hallucinating....

Heprin causes (at least on my stomach) severe bruising...my stomach is now purple. from the belly button down and all around. I had a heart monitor AGAIN...and this time oxygen. 

AND this time I was asked to go the the psyche ward after the detox of 5 days. I agreed and stayed in the psyche ward for the 4 days.  WONDERFUL Doctors and Nurses and AIDS....I have never been treated better in my life.

They told me their job was to keep me comfortable.  SO...I was receiving 4 mg of Lorazepam every hour for 5 days....thru the IV....for faster acting relief.  I was suffering so much at 2mg...that the Nurse called the Dr. in and he evaluated me and said to raise it immediately.  Last Monday was HELL on EARTH for me.

AGAIN..I was told I was almost dead. I started drinking Jan 2 and called on Jan 31 for help.  The rescue came and the first 2 days are very blank to me right now.  But I will never forget that Monday....Hallucinating...not knowing where I was...having a "fall risk" band for the first time too.  I didn't even start eating until Day 7....They said I looked like the walking dead. 

When I was leaving yesterday...I was told 100x how much better I looked and how far I had come. They saved my life once again.  Or I DID by calling in on myself. 

They said my BAC was VERY high...I didn't even have the energy nor the care to ask what it was because I KNEW it was high. How could it not be...again not eating all that time....just straight VODKA. All those days sad.

I missed the death of a loved one....I missed a court date I promised to attend with my sister....I missed supporting another friend thru a fight to get a child out of foster care....I JUST MISSED my own DEATH DATE this time...maybe by minutes...I don't know if that is true...but that is what it felt like and I was put into ICU (Intensive Care) when I first went in.  Then I was moved to another floor, then another floor, then finally the psyche ward.

Please listen to me...alcohol is progressive....if you are drinking hard....try harder to stop.  It does kill and I can't believe I ever ended up this way again. 

The good news...I had wonderful support and care where I was, I was not treated like I was a loser...I was cared for and catered to every minute of everyday until I could function.  When I finally could shower...Day 6...I was helped....I was brought my meals....I was covered in warm blankets.  I felt like I was 100 years old....I could do NOTHING for myself....NOTHING until Day 6.   I am doing better....Came home to my car (got rearended) and a broken furnace....but ya know WHAT?  I DIDNT care.  I am so GRATEFUL to be alive....for real.

1 like, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi l am glad u are alife, how old are u , l hope u have learnt your lesson now, and get help to stop, did u use to drink alone, or.
    • Posted

52, its not about a lesson. Its about accepting my life as it is and not trying to "hide" with alcohol.  I've always had the help available and always used it....But, when your majorily depressed and a changed person and an alcoholic and suicidal....um....lessons can't be learnt.

What I did learn is I want to live and learn how to accept the new me.

• Posted

Missy, will you copy and paste your post onto a card or something and keep it with you at all times so if you are tempted to drink you can read it and remind yourself what happened this time - because you probably won't get away with it again. Hope you can really move forward this time. Are you getting any follow up from the hospital?
    • Posted

Surprisingly I am getting follow up from the hospital.

They were amazing. I actually have an apt. today.  And I think your right.  I won't "get away" with it again....I was told that already by them sad.

• Posted

Good to have you back with us misssy. 
    • Posted

Thank you Vicky smile...I missed you guys...the soft and hard smile  or not "hard" but just honest or straightforward...missed all of it.
  • Posted

Glad you are ok Missy. Also glad that you were treated well, because that often isn't the case when the issue is alcohol-related.
    • Posted

So true Paul.   And TY.  But what i did notice is that there has been a shift...it is the people addicted to drugs they treat like crap now.  So Sad
    • Posted

You live in USA right? They haven't changed here in UK...
    • Posted

At that place maybe, Missy but, unfortunately, I am coming across all sorts of poor attitudes from NHS (UK) staff towards my clients still.
    • Posted

Yes, I do live in the USA...and I'm sorry the UK hasn't caught up yet.  Everyone suffering should receive the kind of treatment I received. I really feel that the NICE treatment only enforces that I am a worthy individual of living.
  • Posted

Hi you seem to respect your drink than your life, l used to drink more than u, the only way l know drink socially bcz, l am on Citalprom 20.mg , so l noonger crave drinking at all dear , we all love u on this site,vbut sometimes u disappear on site for no reason, l love Missy2
    • Posted

Morning Richardt (its am in the US).  So, it has been discovered this time around that YES I am a drinker...obviously but the underlying causes need to be treated....the treatment plan is to attack those underlying causes as "Primary" and treat the alcoholism as "secondary".

I have also been on Citalopram for 5 years...and LOVE it. But, it never took away my urge to HIDE from my problems, depression, pain, insomnia.  There is now a big focus on those areas. 

I was seen immediately yesterday by my PCP for a follow up and another important element for me is vitamins which I never take...I am ordered to pick some up today. smile.  I do value my life more or I would not keep trying.

I have found that I have a knack for making people laugh and helping people, they have asked me when I get well to come volunteer in the Psyche ward since I got responses from people that they couldn't.  This request has boosted my self esteem and I feel a bit stronger already.  We all drink for reasons...Some may drink to drink...but MOST have underlying reasons.

• Posted

Good for you Missy, to find your gifts and I hope you get a lot out of using them, as I am sure you will give a lot to others

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.