op in January worried

Posted , 13 users are following.

Im having rectocele and cystocele repair in about 6 weeks. My consultant is sending me for a scan to check my ovaries he said he may have to do a vaginal hysterectomy which i dont really think i want or need. The first doctor i saw said my womb was fairly stable and in place. Got a grade 3 rectocele and grade 2 cystocele. I been so depressed by how my vagina looks and feels since my last child kinda feel broken and its not nice. Has anybody had sucessful surgery im terrified of being worse after or unable to have sex heard some scary storiessad

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Gemma,

I am 8 weeks post op for a grade 3 rectocele, I'm 32, and was also told i had uterus prolapse and they may remove it while repairing my rectocele. Thankfully the uterus was only a grade 1 and was fairly secure so was left. Also diagnosed with a grade 1 cystocyele that they left.

I still have good days and bad days, and really feel it if I've done too much, but still trying not to lift things. Sometimes its unavoidable as i have a 3.5 year old and a 22 month old to look after.

We tried sex for the first time a few days ago..i was very worried! But it was ok, we took it very slowly.

The only pain was where my stiches were on the outside between my perinum and my vagina (i had infection so are taking a bit longer to heal) i can only think that with time things will continue to improve in that department.

My prolapse was too after my last child, it was really affecting my self esteem and confidence and i got little support because it wasn't something people could 'see'. Fortunately my husband and the ladies on here were great.

Just ask your consultant any questions you have, and remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, it's your body and you need to be fully aware of what they are planning to do.

Good luck

Xx

• Posted

Thank you sundagger thats made me feel better. Hope you have a healthy speedy happy outcome .
    • Posted

can i ask what a perineal repair is ive just been told i'm having a pelvic floor repair which is back wall front wall. I was cut with my first child right down to my bottom and i dont think i was stitched very well because my periniem is shorter than it was and i think this hasnt helped with the bulging skin at the entrance sorry for the discriptionredface
    • Posted

Hi Gemma if you go on line there is quite a lot & graphically. However I would suggest you get your surgeon to draw you a picture of what they plan to do. I had a perinorrhaphy & didn't ask being a theatre nurse. I didn't come out with what I expected. I don't seem to have external sutures as per tthe literature but internal stitching which literally just pulls the tissue in I guess but has left me with a ridge /frill in my perineum. This is still very uncomfortable when I sit 3 weeks down the line. I am sure I healed better after I tore and was stitched post delivery many years ago. So ask , I wish I had although I probably would have said, Ok because you still don't know what to expect. It may well be this will settle, after all it was all there in the first place. Maybe someone out there can advise us!😕
    • Posted

Hi Sue I got a letter after seeing consultant last week with date for op and pre op appointment. I hope they see me again before that to discuss proceedure i want to know exactly what i'm having done.
    • Posted

Hi Gemma, that's good. Pre-op will probably only be with a nurse. They  will take your history, BP etc, & give you forms for blood. I doubt they will be able to explain what is going to happen cosmetically. The only way  is to speak to the consultant  or perhaps the senior reg. you may be able at the preop to get the nurse to organise a chat. How much time between pre-op & your surgery. Mine was only a week? 
    • Posted

bout two weeks i currently have a pessary in so need to be seen to have that changed its due to be changed. Quite shocked how quick its all happening,
    • Posted

Can I suggest to everyone having this op that they buy a grabber thingy....dont know what they are called....you know those things that older folk use to pick things up from the floor!! You cant pick up anything heavy with them...but if you drop your undies while you are trying to get them on or a fork in the kitchen or a tissue etc etc..it is so frustrating and sometimes tempting to do a quick bend or squat....and thats enough to undo your repairs!! It has become my new best friend for the moment!!

Good luck everyone!

Xx

• Posted

Sorry Gemma just picked this up. Does that mean you will see someone knowledgable?
  • Posted

I am interested to know which procedure everyone had....I am sure it makes a difference to recovery time and outcome. Mine was tissue fixation system ...not as widely known as others.....
    • Posted

hi Milly,

Not sure if youre still on th forum but I see you've had the tissue fixation system. I met with a surgeon last week who told me this will 'fix everything' (my prolapses). Just wondering how you're going. Its pretty controversial at the moment but sounds good in theory also!

• Posted

Gemma, first & foremost..don't make the same mistake as I did and scare yourself to death reading horror stories online!  Make sure your surgery is carried out by a reputable urogynaecologist. I had a fantastic consultant/surgeon with many years experience. I'm one week post op and it really wasn't/isn't that bad! Maybe I'm lucky so far, who knows but I'm mobile, have very little discomfort and plan on returning to work in a week. There are so many awful stories online and no where near enough positive ones. I nearly didn't have my op due to reading other people's experiences! Ok, I haven't tried the sex yet but I can poop properly for the first time in years, I feel mentally more confident because there's nothing bulging out!! Worth it alone for those reasons!! Good luck - you'll be fine x
    • Posted

Hi cat

You worry me when you say you are going back to work In a week...that will be 2 weeks after surgery! !

You dont want to undo all the good work....proper healing takes 3 months....not that you will need to wait that long....wait at least 4 weeks....do you have a sitting job????

• Posted

Hi Cat

I to was worried when I read this.

I was still sleeping so much at two weeks post op there is no way I could have gone back to work. I am 5 weeks now and doing more and more each day but still no ironing or housework. Hope you get chance to recuperate properly.

• Posted

I couldnt agree more 48!! I am almost 5 weeks post and still resting alot! I am 54 and I guess the older we are the longer it takes????? Husband doing housework and shopping as I wouldnt attempt to drive a shopping  trolley!! I work part time from home and spread my clients out so I dont sit for more than 2 hours at a time! Am terrified of undoing my repairs!!

All the best with your recovery!!

• Posted

im under a great hospital Birmingham womens hospital so fingers crossed things will go ok for me. I never thought i'd be suffering like this i just feel like damage goods and hate my partner seeing me naked down there rolleyes the sex does not feel great anymore either .feels kinda numb. Thanks for your support ladies.biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.