open wound after hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 82 users are following.

Hello All,

I had a hemorrhoidectomy 5 weeks ago. This has been the most painful, challenging thing I have ever gone through. It has completely changed me as a person. I am completely depressed and anxious all the time. I am healing, but during my first BM I blew open one of my incisions. I had a giant, gaping open wound. it has gotten much smaller, but just when it starts to feel better, I have to poop again and it opens back up. Has anyone else experienced this? My Dr. will not give me a time frame for how long I will feel like this. I am desperate for my normal life back, or just to hear something positive. any words would be appreciated.

6 likes, 117 replies

117 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi there dd23.. I am curious to know how you are healing? I had a hemorrhoidectomy 12 days ago. Removed a large internal and 2 large external . I felt is becoming better till day 10.. I've been testing pretty much on my sides without sitting, straining or standing or walking much. But every since yesterday the pain came back with a vengeance. And my bms started stinging badly. So today I decided to take a look.. And sure enough there are 3 large open wounds... Frankly I did not think I popped any stitches but wondering if I did now.. I'm seeing my surgeon in 2 days.. Will update the blog on what my surgeon says... For now I do sitz bath a few times a day and survive in polysporin complete formula and 5% lidocaine cream....

• Edited

Hi,

If you have an opened wound that must very painfull when going to the toilet. It can get inflamed if you are not taking antibiotics.

I'm on day 5 after the laser hemorrhoidectomy. I had 4 internal and 3 external roids lasered. What a painful experience this is after the op.

I had to do the op as I was loosing blood so badly, that my haemoglobin and iron levels dropped to 88 and 4.9. I was barely able to move around.

If anyone out there is having problems with hemorrhoids, please do not hesitate to act on them. I have delayed it for 9 years and are now suffering the worst nightmare possible.

Going to the toilet after BM,the pain is excruciating. It feels like you will pass out from this pain. Next time I will try to take double dose of pain killers before I go there. Fingers crossed it will ease off the pain.

Regarding my wounds, it seems that it is healing already and swelling is going away.

I'm drinking a lot of water and eating soft foods to make the poo loose (still the pain is unberable).

Good luck to everyone in defeating this hemorrhoid 'disease' .

• Posted

dd23

I heard you on the changing who you are thing.

Sending hugs and feel good soon wishes to you. 

• Edited

That sounds horrific hon, I am so disappointed by the lack of after care/ advice/supplies that could make life easier, I even looked up what vets use in this procedure and they seem to take better care of the animals, some sort of stent to be in place to protect the wounds whilst allowing bowel function surely cant be that difficult to make? In terms of advice/tips, stay on top of your pain meds, write it down so you know when you can take your next dose, avoid codeine as it constipates you, stick to a liquid diet, soups, smoothies (no banana), protein shakes that are fortified with vitamins, the advice to eat high fibre hasnt worked for me, as the fibre has stuck to my insides, so I have had to learn by trial and error, brothy soups, icecream, protein shakes, have a big wash bowl full of epsom salts and hot water in a few rooms of the house, with toilet roll beside, for those surprise bowel movements, dip your bottom in and relax (if you can) that way you know everything is staying clean, I am in a system now of accepting I have to stay on top of the pain, take stool softeners, be ready for leakage, any time any place anywhere, I take 1 full epsom salt bath in the morning, keep the water and get into it throughout the day, I pat dry after the bath and gently rub in sterile vaseline on the external part of the wound and slightly onthe inside, I then get a cotton wool bud and dip it in ky jelly and glently insert it into my anus and circle around to lubricate the area as it seems hell bent on drying up and trying to seal up, I use Iodine tincture and dab it around my anus with cotton wool to kill off all germs etc..... what i have done when desparate to have a poo, I wash my hands, and gently apply pressure with my fingers around the wound site so that when I carefully push, the surrounding tissue doesnt get pushed along with what I am trying to acheive, I also have started doing anal pelvic floor exercises i the salt bath, where I alternate between a gentle push as if I want to poo, and then drawing the muscles back in as if I were trying to stop a poo, this way its painless and if you do poop you are clean straight away. I also found it helpful to get a mirror to see whats happening, if all you feel is pain and see blood it can be terrifying, if you can actually see whats happened and what is going on it puts your mind at rest.
    • Posted

Totally agree with everything you've said here

How long ago did you have ur op??

I'm 8 weeks out but still have pain just before the bm and a throbbing pain after that lasts for a few hours

Two wounds haven't healed apparently that explains why I'm in pain

I also lubricator just before I go. Hoping to protect the area somehow 

• Edited

I am 3 weeks post 3 thrombosed / 3 skin tags removal . This has been an absolutely horrendous ordeal and I've had 4 babies with no analgesia , let me tell you I'd rather go through child birth again than this ! I suffered badly with constipation for years but made sure I increased my water intake and fibre way before my surgery . I've had no trouble going post surgery and my stools have been soft and easy to pass . The last few days they have increased in size and seem to be hot so soft but still ok to pass . I just have horrendous pains / throbbing / aches after going that can last for hours after and is worse when I'm resting . I also have burning and developed a rash around my backside but I'm using bepanthen cream to ease that . I seem to have had good days , like last week in though I was making a break through with pain easing but now it's as bad as ever again . I also passed s little blood today which I haven't for well over a week . I have what looks like little haemorriods still around my anus which I believe is quite common , but I'm scared and worried something is wrong and I will always feel like this . I only had one flare up over the years I've had haemorrhoids so have been lucky it this is so much worse and I'm actually regretting having this surgery . I feel so down it's horrible . I wish everyone who is recovering from this surgery a quick and painless recovery, it really is horrendous 

• Edited

Yes, yes, YES!!!!!!! Everything you're doing/did I am doing - and they are SPOT ON. Well done and great advice to everybody!

I hope you're doing really well now?!

Love Lou x

• Edited

I had surgery on Thursday 11/9/17 I had 3 large external and 3 large internal hemorrhoids removed because of bleeding and discomfort. Wow, I wish I never did this surgery and have been trying several things to get myself back to normal. I take sits baths every day with Epsom but now that I am reading some blogs they do not recommend using it. I have been taking miralax once a day because I’m the beginning I took it twice a day and it was horrible because I was constantly in the bathroom. I would love to read what other people recommend that helped them through the process or if anyone is going through it now. Wishing you all the best and for those who have healed I hope it didn’t take too long! Tomorrow is day 10 and I still can’t imagine going back to work(sigh) 
  • Edited

Hi dd23 I feel your pain my happens after I have a BM it's hurt so bad that I can barley walk or sit. So I taking Ibuprofen 800mg from somebody. But I do have a appointment this Wendseday hopeful I don't have to have surgery.

• Edited

Mine is slightly different. Had stapled haemorhhoidectomy mid December 2017. Full retention by day 4 and admitted to hospital. Hospital finally administered enema around 8hrs after admission and only after morphine lasted 30 min. What happened next caused all the problems. Massive bowel evacuation, felt like someone dragged 15 fishing hooks through my rectum. Discharge from hospital 2 days later with pain killers and stools softeners prescribed. Excruciating pain with every bowel movement. 29 Dec back into hospital with what described as infection only to be re diagnosed as thrombosis (blood clots). Prescribed cream and pain killers. Well later and still in tremendous pain visit surgeon who then says, I'm booking you in for op today. I Had an abscess and infection. Pain relived dramatically although a seton was possible although surgeon left an open wound instead to help drain the infection etc. Sitz baths 3 times per day especially after BM. Its now 5 weeks since initial procedure and bowel movements not back to normal as yet. Pain isn't anywhere as bad although painful afterBM. I am back on stool softeners as last two days was like passing wood. I drink lots of water, eat high fibre but still experience constipation over last two days. One resulted in administering two enemas to get things moving. Back to soft motions today, residual pain though. Taking couple paracetamol every 6 hours now just to maintain comfort.

Im concerned about open wound as its still there but it's only been a week. Visit surgeon on Thursday for check up with hopefully some answers.

All up i have regretted it although maybe no other answer. I'm concerned i have created more roids because of massive BM in December and constipation last two days.

Need to push myself to do things like long walks etc as that is also important to keep moving.

Thanks everyone for submitting your stories, i feel for you all and realise in some instances, mine is not as bad as others.

Pain has been as high a 9 which resulted in morphine, now moving away from pain killer tramadol and paracetamol to just the latter.

Fingers crossed its heeled by the 8 week mark....

• Edited

Hi

I see your post is 8 months old now so I am hoping you can advise me if it improved.

7 days ago I had open haemorrhoidectomy... skin removal and banding ... I have no idea if its all in tact. What I do know is I am trembling and feel sick about having another BM.... Nothing relieves the pain and I cannot complete a movement as I actually feel I will die!

Please tell me you feel better?

Theresa :-(

• Edited

Hi Theresa,

My initial operation was 18 Dec 2017 do not that long ago. I believe my op would have been more successful if not for full retention. Having said that what i experienced after and resulting 2nd operation may help you relax, hopefully in some small way. You fear of a BM is real and something you can deal with. It will be excruciating although it will not kill you, maddy feel like it though.

I didn't find any medication that would help that part. I used a product called Movicol, a still softener that works very well. Had three of these after each meal. Drank heaps of water and ate high fibre foods. It was horrible though. I was also fortunate that i have a spare bathroom with a large shower area. I will be blunt, i did not try to have a BM on the toilet, way to painful. I purchased all my disinfectants and bleaches and when the time came, i would have my BM in a standing squat position over the drain. It was painful but no where near as painful as in toilet. I also had the shower head on one of those looking flexible lines so i would instantly wash myself down with as hot as i could handle to relieve the pain and the spasms. Sadly i would also have to disinfect the shower area but it was worth it. I would then have a salt sitz bath for 20 min.

Having Said all that it was constant pain, the meds i mentioned in previous post worked to dull most of the pain but with the stool softener i was having 3 x BM per day and i dreaded it. I thought this was never going to end. Yours may heal faster than mine. I'm now into my 56 day since first op and 28 days since 2nd op. As of today no pain meds, can sit on toilet and pain is minimal. I did nothing for a month. I would move from bed to couch, undertake walking of around 20-30 min but loved my bed. Was it ever going to end. My mind was going, i was feeling sorry for myself but then this week it just changed.

I can't say how long yours will take my only suggestion is to try and reduce the pressure you place on your butt ie sitting on toilet. I apologise but i will be blunt I feel for women who need to sit to pee, having said that, i know what I'd be doing. I'm sure my household water usage has increased for all the cleaning I've been doing and washes. Sitz baths are a must. This will sound weird but i bought a baby bath and sat in that. Couldn't be bothered filing regular bath and i just used it in the shower recess.

I can only say hang in there as for meds, and I'm in Australia, they are the same just a different name. I would take paracetamol and tramadol at the same time and on rare occasions oxy. I'm off all meds now but only 2 days now.

Lost a lot of fitness and get tired quickly so thats something i can now deal with.

There is light at the end of the tunnel but it's can be a long tunnel although try a few things that help alleviate theBM pain.

Good luck, keep me posted.

• Posted

Heya Theresa I had mine done 9 days ago and was rushed back to hospital on Sunday and released on Tuesday but I haven't had a bowel movement in 9 days

• Posted

You are a legend! 👍🤚

Greetings, I'm in Australia too ❤

These ops/medical conditions are HORRENDOUS. Worst thing/pain i've ever had (have a fissure too), even having Crohn's disease for 20 years.

Sending compassion & speedy healing to you/all x

• Edited

I am experiencing the same thing plus know having more drainage and fever at 4 weeks post op as of yesterday..  I fear leaving home due to feeling the need to still be close to a bathroom.

I feel as if I’m constantly using sitz bath and ice packs.

Just when I think the swelling is getting a little  better I have another bowel movement and the swelling returns and makes me feel like hemorrhoids are back.  I feel like this week the discomfort internally has worsened and it does not seem to matter whether I use sitz bath, ice packs or pain medication.

I am fearful that I may have an abscess .  I have not been able to sit on my bottom since the surgery due to too much discomfort/pain when I do .

I have had to lay on my sides .

I called my doctors office Friday after they was closed Wednesday and Thursday due to weather and the surgeon was in surgery all day Friday .  I was told if no better after the weekend to call Monday and if gets worse to go to ER.  I will die before I go to ER again because a couple weeks ago I had to go because of pain and they decided to do a rectal examination was like the worst thing I have ever been through that just about killed me kind of like having first bowel movement and then they decided to give me pain medication after torchering me and had the audacity to come back 30 minuets later and wanted to repeat the rectal exam again.  Needless to say I told them Hell no they were not sticking any fingers or anything else up my ass and the only person going to be putting anything up my ass was going to be my surgeon.  They quickly decided I needed to go home and could not be admitted.

I told them they were not talking to a registered nurse and that I know as well as they do that the morphine they gave me in my IV works quick but does not last long and by the time I get him I would be back where I was when I came to ER.  I thanked them for collecting my copay though only to put me through hell and send me back home to be where I was coming in.  The sad part is I work for the company that owns the hospital which I never told them until after I had my horrible experience.

The doctor became a little nicer after hearing this.

When I told my surgeon the next day in his office about them doing a rectal exam in ER he was livid and told me he would tell them to never do an exam on anyone who has had this type of surgery.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.