Orgasm After Prolapse Surgery

Posted , 37 users are following.

I've had surgery for a posterior and anterior repair with perineoplasty on the 6th Feb (almost 3 weeks ago) and was told not to have sex until 6 weeks. I never really considered that no sex would mean no orgasms at all so I never asked about it, I was just thinking I wouldn't want intercourse anyway until then or after anyway so it's not an issue. Now my husband is adament that I shouldn't do anything at all for 6 weeks that may lead to an orgasm as it could pull the internal stitches. I've searched the internet for answers but there doesn't seem to be any. I've found some old forum threads and only one which states her surgeon said no orgasm until 6 weeks, other than that nothing so does anyone know if it is safe or not?

6 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Rachel

Sorry to hear of your worries. It is beer frustrating but being able to have sex. I had an orgasm at 3 weeks and regretted it because it gave me a burning sensation. I didn’t dare do anything until 7 weeks following that. I am now 7 months post op (3 repairs) but any sexual activity seems to bring on Bacterial Vaginosis. I never suffered from this before. However, it could be as I have permanent stitches for my sacropinious fixation or because my urethra has now prolapsed. Regarding orgasms, they were shorter for about 3 months, but now they are pretty intense and longer. I am lucky in that respect and feel devastated for the other woman on here who has lost her sensation. 

Just be very careful. These surgeries are so major but generally gynaecologists etc play them down and quite frankly, trivialise our concerns. 

Also... the ops do givevteferred pain and I now have nerve damage in my buttock and top of thigh. 

Take care and be careful.

• Posted

I am trying to find the answer to this also.  Did you have any luck.  I don't see what harm it would do. 

• Posted

I posted a response to the original thread.  My doctor gave me permission for clitoral orgasms at 4 weeks.  I have had no discomfort from them.  In fact, I found them very intense after the month of abstinence.  
  • Posted

I specifically asked this question of my awesome doctor before my hysterectomy and prolapse repair.  She said that clitoral orgasms were fine after four weeks.  I have had no discomfort from them. 
    • Posted

I felt it squeezing my stitches but I was being such a depressed beeotch I was willing to find out. lol. Definitely no surgery fail due to it. It is really intense....crazy actually!
  • Posted

Did anyone experienced bleeding after intercourse after the 6 week waiting period?
    • Posted

Know this is an old post, but yes I experienced bleeding, at the 7 week point with pain and grazed feeling. Then next day, 2 days ago now felt lumpy inside like before the op, hope i haven't damaged anything. Did you have any problems after?

• Posted

Thanks for reply, I'm trying to get an appointment at my local Cardiff hospital, not easy, l feel better today but want to get advice from consultant.

• Posted

I wouldnt chance it hun and when we orgasm we bring blood to tge area and may impact healing.

Im 10 wks post tvh and anterior and will be sure to leave healing till 12 wks.xx

• Posted

I am almost 16 weeks post surgery for tvh, anterior and posterior plus urethral sling. Slight spotting after sex was still happening until about a week ago. Sex is not as uncomfortable as in past weeks but just doesn't feel as good as it used to. Please tell me it gets better.

• Posted

Hi Rachel

When you orgasm.you contract your muscles during the pleasure of this.

It's not a Good idea to do this at such an early stage.

You will be at risk.If damaging the very fragile healing tissues.

Your husband is right i n what he says.

I'd leave it till at least 12 weeks as your still at risk.of prolapse till body makes scar tissue after 12 wks.

Good luck hunx

• Posted

Yesterday I had read all the posts (I replied too and autocorrect changed Clitoris to Clitoral, sorry I didn't catch that). After reading I decided I was good to go for a nice external clitoral orgasm. Well, I was 2 weeks and 4 days yesterday after a Colporrhaphy due to etereocyle (Spelling) [and the bladder mesh was placed too] and well...big mistake. Too soon!! I don't think I did any lasting damage but I'm still pretty sore today and got that heat thing someone else mentioned.. not to mention the orgasm was completely sub-par and not what I was expecting at all. Definitely would wait til at least 4 weeks but it could need more than that. I will not be experimenting again anytime soon. Still very sore and uncomfortable. 

• Posted

Best left well alone till all stitches healed.Your at risk.if infection and bursting stitches.

I'm surprised your consultant didn't advice this.

You use your pelvic muscles during orgasm which isn't a good idea.

I hope you give yourself the time your body needs to heal.

12 weeks before body makes strong scar tissue. This is what keeps repair strong.

Healing hugsx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.