Orlistat Check In Group

Posted , 17 users are following.

I thought I would make a wee group where all of us who have just started recently (or join up later) can come to ask questions and give updates. Saves us all making a new discussion all the time. Feel free to join in...or not! 

Update:

So I am starting day 5 and finally noticing some effects of the pill. No accidents or anything, but I am going to the toilet more regularly (from once every 2-3 days to 2 times PER day). Less transit time means my body will absorb less of it which hopefully = weight loss. I refuse to use the scale until I have done it for at least a week. I don't want obsess over it every day. 

Question:

I was looking over that Norfolk guide suggested but at one point it advised like 5 slices of bread before noon. If I eat 5 slices of bread in any day I will never lose weight..I know some people will start the whole ''calorie is a calorie'' but from a Biological perspective I would highly disagree. Without getting to technical about it I will just say over 14 years I have experiemented enough to know that my body is HIGHLY sensitive to simple carbs (wheat, sugar, potatoes etc). SO my question here is...are any of you guys following a sorta Low carb and low fat approach? By low carb I do not mean fruit/veg, just simple carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. 

0 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm the same - I LOVE bread however bread does not love me! Whenever I eat bread when trying to lose weight it hinders it. I have remained quite low carb over the last 6 weeks admittedly but can't say I'm free of them. My GP said I should fill up on them but I just can't as feel so sluggish. We all have to find what works for us!

• Posted

Today starts Day 6. I made the mistake of peaking at the scales...of course it is pretty much the same as it was (actually about .5 kg heavier but that is not a big variance for me). I will check again tomorrow for the offical 1 week weight in then try not to check again until week 2. 

I found a free Change for Life app that has a meal mixer and lots of simple recipes if you guys are needing meal ideas etc. They can be tailored to fit anyone's diet really (take away the bread, add the bread,no salt...whatever). Part of the NHS change for life scheme. I found it good because I end up doing the same recipes over and over and getting bored----later you fall off the wagon. So maybe if I use these healthy ones to shake it up a bit it will stick this time. smile 

It does tell you on the front page the Calories, fat, protein, carbs etc. This is really good rough idea but personally I would log it seperately as it can be a little off (based on the type of bread you use, size of your eggs....if you use butter or low fat spread..etc). 

Still no horrible side effects! Working on upping my water intake as I am always pretty bad at that. sad 

How are you guys getting on?

• Posted

Hi, I jumped on the scales this morning expecting to have lost more as my tummy isn't as bloated but unfortunately I have put on 4 lbs?!?!?! I did my first session of HIIT training yesterday which is the only difference as I've been eating the same so wondering if this could be why as they say muscle density can play a part in it. Feeling so disheartened sad

• Posted

When you change exercise programs your body can "gain weight" overnight but it is actually inflammation in the muscles. This generally happens when you begin a new or more intense routine. You are probably feeling sore as well but it is normal and will go away in a few days.

• Posted

How come every scale you go on says a different weight ?
    • Posted

Because there is a global conspiracy to keep us fat and depressed!

Ha ha

But seriously I can get three different weights on the same scale back to back. Depends on how you stand, what your wearing, if you ate a salty meal last night... just try the same scales, naked, first thing in the morning. There will still be variation due to time of month and diet etc but overall hope for a downward trend smile

• Posted

Totally agree with Cryingdietgirl that it can come down to a lot of factors. I refuse to use my own scales as having them in a different place, even just mm's, can make a huge different in result. I go to Boots & ok I have to pay 50p a week to weigh for me its worth it. I wear the same clothes each week & weigh at approx the same time & ensure I have consumed the same amount of drinks etc as every week in order to lessen the chance of inaccuracies...well, its more accurate than weighing at home!

• Posted

Hi all! Would love to join in with this chat. I started Orlistat on Sunday and have been coping ok. No side effects but have been really strict. The fear of side effects is a deterrent for me!! I've not managed to resist scale (I never can) and have lost a few lbs so am happy.

All scales seem to weigh differently - they aren't all calibrated the same. Like someone else said I weigh the same time in the morning and normally in my underwear! I've also gained weight after starting new exercise, quite normal but v frustrating on the scale.

How much weight does everyone want to lose? I lost about 4 stone on my own before my baby 2 year ago but since the scales won't budge. I also have pcos which is largely to blame. I want to lose at least another 4.

• Posted

Hi I want to lose 10 stone and I also have pcos and under active thyroid and it's so hard as I've tried loads of diets etc and exercises at home I haven't been on a week and can see a slight difference

• Posted

What foods should I not be eating and what should I be eating ?
    • Posted

Basically no high fat foods. I've found that manageable this week so far by switching to low fat versions of things like cheese and spread and just trying to be creative! The general rule of thumb is no more than 30g fat per day, no more than 15 per meal and no more than 5g fat per 100g of food. Sorry you probably already knew that!

• Posted

Week 1 of Orlistat check in:

GAINED about 1 kg ((2.4 lbs)?!!?! 

Not sure how. Only had 1 ''naughty'' meal this week for Valentines. Rest of the week has been pretty successful. No oily poos or bad side effects, but a definate increase in the number of times I go to the loo. Kept up with my excercise.

I am hoping it is because TOTM is due next week, or just because it is the first week. 

Did any of you guys gain in your first week or two of taking these? 

• Posted

I've been on the pills 1 week 2 days and feel awful today full of cold and really got a sore throat anyone else feel like that? Don't feel up to doing anything today

• Posted

Oh no Diet girl! How frustrating for you. I'd deffo say it's because the witch is due. Try not to be too disheartened. Persevere through next week and fingers crossed you'll see a loss after.

Susan I feel ok, amazingly haven't caught my son's cold! Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Is everyone drinking lots of water or juice ?
    • Posted

Water, tea, and a daily cappuccino (no sugar, semi milk). That is pretty much all I ever drink. 
    • Posted

Just so I know I'm doing it right it's 30g of fat in one day isn't it?

• Posted

Yeah 30g total. No more than 15g in one meal.

Just drink what you want to, be mindful of calories/sugar juices etc. I'm lucky in that I've only ever drunk water really so not having to cut anything out.

• Posted

Hi do you take your tablet before after or with food ?
    • Posted

Normally during or sometimes straight after. Think you can have it up to hour after eating though.
    • Posted

I only have 1098 calories a day normally but I'm not sure I'm eating enough

• Posted

No that's not enough really. Depends on your weight but rule of thumb generally is no less than 1200g

• Posted

Sorry yeah you're right. 30% of cals have to come from fat don't they and I think this evolved in my head to being 30g! Clearly delirious from hunger haha

• Posted

Lol.. iv just discovered ambrosia low fat rice pudding is only 1.3g per 100g 😁 can eat half the tin perfectly or the whole tin going just over! Perfect filling pudding

• Posted

Wow what a find! I am enjoying the sugar free jellies at mo which are no fat of course. Also got some strawberries and mini meringue pieces to have together as treat this weekend. Obviously not great sugar wise but better than a massive bar of dairy milk right?!
    • Posted

Where did you read that? The healthy eating guide published on this site stipulates no more than 15g per meal so x3 is 45g plus you can have x1 3g fat snack which totals no more than 48g fat in a day. If anyone us following other rules & been struggling then may be this is why...

• Posted

15g per meal x3 = 45g not 30!!! Plus you can have a snack with no more than 3g fat in per day.
    • Posted

Oh I know - my cupboards are full if it lol. Make it healthier by adding some berries too!
    • Posted

How much weight did people loose if the first week?
    • Posted

I started this past Sunday. Weighed today and miraculously have lost 8lbs so far.
    • Posted

I'd imagine so Susan.

I lost 9lbs in my 1st week but try not to get too hung up on other people's results because we're all different & all react in different ways.

• Posted

Can you remember how much you lost week 2 cath? Did it slow down much?
    • Posted

What do you watching on a day to day basis if you don't mind me asking and do you exercise ?

• Posted

I lost 6lbs in week 2, 4lbs week 3, 2lbs weeks 4, 4lbs week 5 so it fluctuates!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.