Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4

Posted , 60 users are following.

We all have Graves Disease or overactive thyroid issues, most of us have been through RAI and are now on thyroxine.

10 likes, 1228 replies

1228 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Everyone, I've found you all, what a performance to get my password reset. I'm with the rest of why change things if they work perfectly well in the first place.

I have had a rough few weeks with work, but it will be all over and done with next Thursday and then I will consentrate on getting better.

Take care everyone love Maria

• Posted

Hi everyone.

Hi Barry. You'll be pleased you've started on thyroxine. I didn't have any side effects. I started on 100, then 75, and I've been on 50 for some time now. I'm feeling fine, a bit tired sometimes but apart from that I'm ok. Take care.

Hi Maria. I'm pleased you've found us, as you say what a performance!

You'll be pleased when Thursday comes, I'm sure you'll start to feel better when you don't have to go to work.

Thinking of everyone.

love,

Marigoldxxxx

• Posted

Barry you will be fine remember that thyroxine is a replacement

hormone ie it's what your thyroid naturally produced so don't be worried about it. I'm on 100mg and have had no side effects. My Endo said it was like taking a vitamin.

Hi Maria you found us ;-) Thursday will be here in no time and then you can work on getting well.

Have put the diet on hold tonight and we are having a take away mmmm it tasted so good!

Kat xxx

• Posted

Levothyroxine is T4 only and does NOT replace what your natural thyroid puts out. Naturally your thyroid produces T1, T2 ,T3 and a small amount of T4.
  • Posted

It's a replacement as in that's what is offered to most as a treatment for a thyroid that has been destroyed by the RAI process leaving you then hypothyroid.

I was only quoting what I had been told by my Endo.

• Posted

Levothyroxine is offered to patients who have had RAI as it's the synthetic version of the hormone T4, which is the hormone healthy thyroid glands produce the most of. T4 is converted to T3 in body tissue. Many hypo patients still have some thyroid function of their own, and are producing some T3, and prescribing more T3 could result in too much T3 in some patients. This is information given me by my endo.
  • Posted

Endos say a lot of things, many of them complete and utter rubbish. Pray tell why you would need TSH if you have no thyroid?

Levothyroxine is synthetic T4 and the body has to convert it to the usable T3 etc. if you don't or can't convert the T4 to T3 then you will continue to be ill.

Blood tests are wildly innacurate and most hospital labs will only do a TSH test and if that is 'normal' they won't do any other tests, appalling!!

There is no proof that being over-medicated causes either heart problems or Osteoporosis whereas being UNDER - medicated will!!

• Posted

Hi Glynis. Do you have Graves? It sounds like you've had a bad experience with treatment and endos in particular.Perhaps you'd like to share it with us.

Marigold.

• Posted

Hi all.

Who is this Glynis person ? I agree with you marigold he/she does sound a very bitter person.

Hope you are all doing ok,started on thyroxine Sunday,how long did it take you all to feel normal after going hypo?

Onwards and upwards take care

• Posted

Hello everyone.

Hi Barry. I don't think it'll take long for you to feel normal again as your bloods aren't too far out. I've forgotten to take the thyroxine a couple of times. I was ok when I was popping pills all day, I don't think I missed any, but now I'm only on one a day I tend to forget.

Take care.

Marigold

• Posted

Hi everyone, Marigold and Kat, thankyou for all the spot on help and advice you have always given me don't know what I'd have done without all my friends on here. Barry, Hope you are feeling better, was it a virus or inner ear problem that made you feel ill or was it coming off your meds ? Hope Deb and Elaine got on ok with the heart monitors, have you heard the results yet ? Jane, thinking of you and hubby. Dave, how's things going ? Maria, hang on in there, nearly there ! I'm doing ok, not had any migraine aura for 5 days - yippee ! Better not speak too soon. Sorry to anyone I've not replied to, still wary of roaming this site, have had troubles getting on here but the admin have done their best to help me. Hope Sue is soaking up the sun ! Must go, a plate of chips is calling me. - love Bess xx
  • Posted

Sorry Barry, looking through I realise it was Hux who was feeling so bad. Hux, how are you ? Hope you are feeling better now. Babs, hope you ok. Bess xx
  • Posted

Hello everyone

having the heart monitor on wasnt so bad,i dont know when i get the results as they didnt say much.

hows everyone else ?

Take Care Deb xx

• Posted

Hello everyone.

Hi Bess. I was thinking about you and your auras last night. I think it was with watching the aurora borealis on the news. lol. It's good that you've had none for five days, let's hope that's the end of them. It's maybe something that you've already done, but have you thought about keeping a food diary. They can be caused by certain foods, so maybe you could find a link. They could be hormonal, our hormones have a lot to answer for.

Hope you're feeling ok, and enjoyed your chips. Take care.xxxx

Hi Deb. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your results, and that everything is ok. Was the monitor small or are they still big?

Thinking of everyone.

love,

Marigold

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.