Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4

Posted , 60 users are following.

We all have Graves Disease or overactive thyroid issues, most of us have been through RAI and are now on thyroxine.

10 likes, 1228 replies

1228 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Feeling abit more nervous since started thyroxine(its been a week now) sleeping less as well. Hoping it will pass but if it continues i will have to contact gp. I don't think I help matters sometimes because I am a worrier. Everything else seems ok though for

Now .

Take care all

• Posted

Hi Barry, hope you are feeling a bit more settled. Its horrible when medication is changed, we seem to be waiting for something to happen. I think this makes us more aware of physical sensations, not nice. Hope you will feel better soon.

Marigold and Kat, I'm sure you are right about the food diary. I am still aura free ! (touch wood). I try to avoid chocolate, etc but had started a new cereal, Optivita, thought I was being good but I realised it has malted barley in it and malted anything is a migraine trigger. Since I stopped, no migraine ! Perhaps its coincidence.

Elaine, do you still have migraine aura even though its so long since you were diagnosed ?

Thinking of you all, hope you and hubby are ok Jane.

Wish I could see previous posts when I am replying, as on the old site. It makes it easier to reply. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Take care all,

Love

Bess xxx

• Posted

Hi Barry. Hope you're feeling a bit better. I know what it's like to be a worrier, you wouldn't believe some of the things I worry about. lol I'm not sleeping too well either, and the heartburn has come back. I'm eating Rennies like sweets again. My weight isn't coming down so I don't think I'm going hyper. I'm not due another blood test until the end of April, but I'll get it checked sooner if things don't settle down. Take care.

Hi Bess.

It's good you've had no more auras. I changed my breakfast cereal as I was having problems with wind. I changed to one without gluten and although I still have a windy tummy it's gone from hurricane force to gale force. lol. We'd probably be better off having a bacon butty.

It is difficult replying when you can't see all the posts, and I think it was better before when you could see the other thyroid forums when you looked for Graves.

Are you still enjoying your new life Maria?I hope you enjoyed your little grandson's birthday. It's hubby's birthday on Friday so our granddaughter will be helping him to blow the candles out.

Hope everyone else is ok, and I hope Sue is enjoying her holiday and can find us when she gets back.

Thinking of everyone.

Marigold

xxx

• Posted

Hi Marigold, hope all is well in Windy City ! I agree about the bacon butty. I am going for an eye test tomorrow and am a bit anxious about this as my eyes are feeling really sore and a bit blurry at times. My granddaughter had to have surgery on both eyes as a result of Graves. I remember that you had problems too and wonder if you had to have much treatment ?

There's always something to worry about, Barry, you're not alone in that !

Hope everyone else ok, looking forward to Sue coming back and yes, I hope she finds us.

Love Bess xx

• Posted

Hi all, Bess i stopped getting the auras over a year ago but, now they have come back!!! I cant put mine down to diet as nothing has changed in that respect I think mine is hormonal as they started when i began the menopause then my periods stopped for nearly a year so hence no aura now, they are hit & miss so they are back. I hate them but, luckily i dont get the headache i too need my eyes testing as they get very dry & sore sometimes.

Marigold like you i suffer with heartburn i have to take ranitidine & find they are excellent so try zantac you only need 1 a day.

Barry at first my sleep pattern was shot but, now i find i can sleep for England i went to bed at 8 last night got up for work at 5.45 but still feel absolutley shattered. When im not working i still need a lot of sleep plus can sleep in the afternoon i think my thyroxine needs upping. Anyone else have this problem?

Well i hope everyone else is well? get my results from heart monitor next thurs Kat when do you get yours?

I hate this new lay out the old way let you go back to the messages now i bloody forget what everyone has said lol.

Take care all. Elaine.

• Posted

Sorry Kat meant Debs see what i mean? lol Hope you had a great birthday Kat. Elaine.
  • Posted

Thanks for the feedback ladies it's always appreciated,I had a feeling starting thyroxine would have a few side affects its good to hear I'm not alone.

Take care ;-)

• Posted

Hi Bess. Not bad in Windy City today, just a slight breeze. lol How did your eye test go?

My eyes vary a lot, some days they're not too bad and others they're really sore and dry.

I don't think central heating helps.I've used artificial tears for years, but I'm using them a lot more now. Both my eyes protrude, one more than the other. It's not that noticeable. I also have a squint in one eye. I was told years ago that that was due to Graves, but when I went to the thyroid eye clinic at the hospital they said it was congenital and nothing to do with Graves. My eyelids are droopy, and the consultant said they could operate and remove the extra skin.( I don't look as bad as it sounds .... I hope not anyway). lol It has to be done under a local anaesthetic so they can see how much skin to remove. He also said they could remove some tissue behind the eye if the protrusion became worse, but that has to be done under a general anesthetic (it sounds horrible). I said I didn't want to have anything done at the moment, so they left it open so I can go back if I change my mind. I think it's the sensitivity to light that bothers me the most.

Take carexxxx

Hi Elaine. I haven't had heartburn today. I think it's caused by anxiety as I can feel my throat tightening up and then the heartburn comes. I wish I knew what I was anxious about.lol I'll try the Zantac, thanks for the advice. It does sound like you need your thyroxine upping if you sleep that long. I hope the results from the heart monitor are ok.

Thinking of everyone.

love,

Marigold

xxxx

• Posted

Hi everyone,

it's not been the best week this week. Even though my blood tests came back in the normal range I've had the feeling of going hyper over the last week or so. This has been reflected in my mood in that everyone & anyone has received the sharp end of my tongue. I know it's not like me and that's made me feel worse. Has anyone else been through this or is it just me? I've also just done around 20 days at work without a proper day off which has left me feeling so exhausted and not helping with the moods.

Sorry to have a moan but I had to get it out there. sad

Hope everyone else is keeping warm and well.

Babs.

• Posted

Hi Babs, no wonder you are feeling so bad - hope you get some proper days off soon. I had the same thing a couple of months ago, I went to the doctor and asked for a blood test, I was convinced I was hyper, had all the symptoms. Results came back in normal range, so strange. I have no idea why I felt like that - stress? It just all settled down after about 3 weeks.

Marigold, Pleased you are ok but hope the anxiety fades away, its horrible especially when you don't know whats causing it. My eye test was fine,thank goodness. I ordered one pair of specs with an anti reflective coating put on and the other pair with a tint in the glass - hopefully to help with the light sensitivity. The only damage at the end of the test was to my bank balance !

Hope everyone ok and the heart monitor results come back fine. Elaine, what a bummer to have the aura back. I asked the optician if he had any tips to prevent it and not only could he not help but said he suffered from it too !

Sorry if I'm not replying properly to everyone, I hope this site gets adjusted so that we have new posts first, so annoying to trawl through all the old posts to get to the current page, by which time I've forgotten what everyone said.

Take care all, we've got snow here, just enough to have to clear the car windows. My bits are definately frozen.

Bess xxx

• Posted

Evening All,

Thanks for the birthday wishes, I had a great time, ate too much, drank too much but still managed to lose half a pound, thats half a stone since christmas, I'm well chuffed.

I was at the Nurse this week for the dreaded smear test, anyway she gave me a general MOT as she called it while I was there! She tried to take my blood pressure but it was sky high as it usually is the minute I step through the Surgery door, so I have had to take it at home 4 times a day for the last 4 days then hand it back in. It was fine always is when I'm at home!!

Next she told me I had put on 12kg since they took it last in 2008! I explained about Graves etc she didn't look convinced, however she seems happier when I told her I had lost 7lbs since Christmas, honestly felt like I was on trial!

My eyes are sore this week, fine during the day then red and weeping in the evening.

Bess I have tinted glassed I find them a big help with the horrible strip lights.

Marigold hope your eyes are feeling better I really struggle too with light sensitivity although last week it seemed to be getting a bit better! Who knows whats going on!

Babs - I've got that hyper feeling a wee bit too this week, my next blood test is on the 24th so we will see.

I hope Jane and Sue are ok and find us soon.

Take Care,

Kat xxxx

• Posted

Hello you lovely lot, I made it at long last what a palava it was finding you all again.

I hope everyone is doing as well as is possible under the circumstances. I noticed Barry you are now also in the Thyroxine club, congratulations and welcome.

There has been quite a bit of birthday and impending birthday talk, It was my sons a couple of weeks ago so I took him and a few of his friends to a scooter park. He promptly fell off and afterwards we got to spend 3 hours at A and E, fortunately it was only a sprained wrist although his bandage was very impressive!

I'm better than I have been so far, dieting like mad and swimming quite a bit. My eyes arn't great, they have recently started aching when I move them as if they are a bit bruised, not sure if I should bother the doctor, has anyone had anything similar?

Hubby is now on the waiting list for his tumour removing, should only be a few weeks now.

Dinner is almost ready so I better go...

Take care

Jane xxx

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I am still not happy with this new layout.

I hope that you are all OK in the snow. We are cut off at the moment in our little village, I’m sure the farmer down the road will be along to clear the road with his tractor, he normally does.

Well week one off from work and I am starting to feel half human again plenty of long lay in’s doing me the world off good. Glad that I was off last week and could help my daughter with my grandson as he had his operation for his curved toes on both feet, he has been so good not walking on his feet but on his heels and his has not had to take any painkillers, just keeps saying they don’t hurt. He has to have his bandages on for another two weeks.

My eyes are not as bad as they were when I was at work, but still get blurred vision at times.

Bab’s I hope that you get some time to yourself soon and you can moan to us as much as you like.

Kat, I’m exactly the same my blood pressure is sort of normal (for me) at home, but when I go to the doctors it drops even lower and then they are all in a panic because it is too low...

Jane, I hope hubby doesn’t have to wait too long. I’m thinking of you.

Take care everyone, and be careful in the snow

Maria xxx

• Posted

Hello everyone.

I don't like this new lay out, it would be better if it was the other way round and the new posts were at the top of the page instead of the bottom.No PMs and no smilies, I don't know what the world's coming to. lol

Hi Babs. I get tired very easily these days, and when I'm tired I get ratty. That's probably why you're feeling bad tempered. It sounds like you could do with a rest after working all that time. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Bess. It's an expensive do when you get new specs isn't it? Do you have to wait long for them. I used to get mine the next day, but have to wait about a week now. I have to get titanium frames, and there's not a lot of choice. I've had the same frames for years, but I'll have to get some new ones soon before these drop to bits.. If the optician can't sort his aura out, there's not much hope for us is there?

Hi Kat. Glad you had a good birthday, and well done for losing 7lbs., you're doing really well. I don't think some nurses know much about Graves, I don't think some doctors do either. One GP I saw had such an attitude that I told him what I thought about him and then walked out. He must have caught me on a bad day. lol

My eyes are always worse in the evening. I've been advised to use artificial tears three times a day, morning, mid afternoon and bedtime. My eyes aren't too bad in the afternoon so I miss that one out and put the drops in after tea. I think the light sensitivity is worse with the sun being so low at this time of year. Take care.

Hi Jane. Glad you've found us. I think it was better before. It sounds like you're doing ok. My eyes hurt when I move them, but they have done for a long time. I think it's one of the many symptoms of Graves.

I'm sure your son would feel a lot better once he got a bandage on his wrist. Our son liked nothing better than a bandage when he was young. I hope your hubby has his operation soon.

Hi Maria. I hope the farmer digs you out soon. We couldn't get our car down the drive for two weeks last winter. I'm glad you're feeling better. Your grandson sounds a brave little lad, a little soldier.

My blood pressure tends to be on the low side. I think a lot depends on who actually takes it and if they know what they're doing. Take care.

love to everyone,

Marigold

• Posted

Hello everyone

i hope everyones well.

is there any other way of finding the post other than go through them all?

i have had a right go with my doctors , i phoned last week for a form to get my bloods done and was told i couldnt have it done till next oct as i dont have thyroid problems, how stupid can they be.

i had to ring my endo and ask him to ring my doctors,then my doctors rang me saying sorry but there was nothing on my notes. how can there be nothing on my notes when ive had this since july 2011. i was so angry with them.

anyway im having as many problems in trying to get the results for the 24 hour heart monitor, no one seems to know who the results are going to.I had it three weeks ago and still dont know anything.

but besides all that im feeling a lot better than i have in ages smile .

Im still trying to find my way round this new lay out, i liked it better before .

Take care ,Deb xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.