Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4

Posted , 60 users are following.

We all have Graves Disease or overactive thyroid issues, most of us have been through RAI and are now on thyroxine.

10 likes, 1228 replies

1228 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Everyone,

I totally agree Debs, I really don't like this new layout, I keep adding it to my favourites every time one of you adds to the forum, but I still have to scroll to the bottom of the page.

I haven't been so great over the last couple of days, I have had lots of headaches not sure if it has anything to do with the cold, but I just don't seem to be able to get warm, even with the hot sweats! Maybe I should get my eyes tested, I think I'm due for another test.

I hope everyone is OK.

love Maria xx

• Posted

Hi all, Went to docs yesterday & got results from the heart monitor was really interesting to see but, typically i only had 6 palpitations throughout the 24 hrs so, everything deemed ok. Though i must admit since having it i dont seem to have so many must be pyschological!!! Doc said need to have bloods taken next week as he thinks my thyroxine may need to be upped.

Debs i hope you get your results soon mine went to my docs as it was the surgery nurse that fitted it you seem to be having a nightmare with yours at the moment i think thats disgusting that they have no record of your illness.

Jane hope all goes well for your husband x

Maria just woke up to yet more snow!!! i dont usually mind but, have to work this weekend & my car just doesnt like the snow.Send that farmer down my way lol.

Marigold i too suffer from the dreaded dry eyes sometimes i find it hard to blink!!! i also use the artificial tears but hate putting them in most of it ends up running down my cheeks i hate anything to do with eyes.

Kat well done on your weight loss i really need to lose around a stone please share your diet as i have tried but, to no avail!!

Babs i used to only need around 6 hrs sleep now i can go to bed at 8pm & not get up till 9 am but, still feel tired i have to force myself to get up. I mentioned this to my doc but, he said its a symptom of being under active.

Barry & Dave hope you are both ok? sorry if i have missed anyone out but, this new layout is rubbish i cant remember what everyone has written so, i get a pad & make notes lol.

Well take care everyone. Elaine.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Been on thyroxine now for nearly 3 weeks,starting to feel more alert and most of the early symptoms have seemed to have gone.

Still feeling abit anxious but not half as bad as it used to be,maybe its just somthing i have to live with although i still hope for more improvement.

Due to get my bloods done in 3 weeks to see how the thyroxine is working.

Hope you are all ok take care wink

• Posted

Hi Barry, pleased you're feeling a bit better and not so anxious. I hope your bloods come back ok. I'm due for another lot in March. I am cutting down on the Propanolol again with a view to stopping it. I always feel a bit anxious when this happens but will try to stick with it.

Hope everyones ok and that we will hear from Sue soon.

Take care all

Bess xxx Ps have noticed that my hair is coming out a bit again, not sure if that's hyper symptom.

• Posted

Hi Barry, pleased you're feeling a bit better and not so anxious. I hope your bloods come back ok. I'm due for another lot in March. I am cutting down on the Propanolol again with a view to stopping it. I always feel a bit anxious when this happens but will try to stick with it.

Hope everyones ok and that we will hear from Sue soon.

Take care all

Bess xxx Ps have noticed that my hair is coming out a bit again, not sure if that's hyper symptom.

• Posted

Hi Deb.

Pleased you're feeling better. Sounds like your GP's surgery wants a good shake up. Have you got the results from the heart monitor yet?

Hi Maria. Have your headaches settled down. I get a bit sinusy and get a headache over my right eye. My nose is bleeding a bit at the moment too. I think it's probably from the cold weather.

Hi Elaine. I'm pleased the results from the heart monitor were ok. I wonder how many palps you have to have before they say it's not ok. lol. You sound like hubby when it comes to eye drops. He can't put them in himself, so I have to do it, but everytime I get anywhere near him he closes his eyes. I'm funny about eyes too, but I don't mind putting eye drops in. I'm making notes too, this layout is awful. It needs to be turned round so the new posts are at the top.

Hi Bess. Good luck with stopping the Propranolol. Being hyper or hypo can cause hair loss. I hope we hear from Sue soon. I can't remember how long she was going away for, but I'm looking forward to hearing about her adventures. Take care.

Hi Barry. It's good you're feeling better. I hope your bloods come back ok. My anxiety varies from day to day. I think I'll always be anxious. Take care.

Thinking of everyone.

love Marigold

• Posted

Thanks bess and marigold,

Still getting these sickly bouts of fatigue,when it happens it is a instant feeling that I have no energy.

Have a feeling I will need a higher dose of thyroxine.

I will let yas know how my bloods go.

Take care everyone.

• Posted

Hi Barry, I have also had these feelings and its been due to low blood sugar. Chocolate - you need chocolate !! lol .

Hope everyone having a good weekend.

Bess xx

• Posted

Hi Barry.I feel like that sometimes too. As Bess says you need chocolate, the more the better. lol.We had a snow shower this afternoon. It didn't come to much, but I hope we don't get any more.

Marigold xxx

• Posted

Hello, I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism in December 2011 by an endocrinologist at my local hospital, my T4 was 49, and was put on 40mg Carbimazole daily and told to have a blood test 6 weeks later.

The result at 6 weeks was that my T4 had dropped to 4 and I was told to cease the Carbimazole and return to the hospital for another blood test in 4 weeks.

However, just 2 weeks later I felt awful; puffy weeping eyes, had shooting pains, could barely walk and felt, frankly, suicidal!

So, (exactly 2 weeks after being told to stop Carbimazole) I went back to my very good and extremely efficient, GP who ordered a blood test which I had at 4pm that afternoon at the local surgery. The GP called me at 6pm (told you he was efficient!) and said that my T4 was now 69.

Over the phone he prescribed 5mg of carbimazole (and Bisoprolol) and told me to go back to the hospital for my next scheduled blood test which is in 2 weeks time.

Please can someone tell me if this is normal treatment and normal reaction, I am confused because I have swung so wildly one way and then the other! I had read that doing so was not good for ones health or state of mind! Thank goodness for my local GP who has been very involved and also somewhat surprised that since my inital meeting in December with the endocrinologist at the hospital, my next scheduled appointment is not until May, due to annual leave!!

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I've been feeling a bit out of sorts but nothing major, I had a blood test on Friday so will find out Tuesday whats going on, maybe an increase or decrease in the old thyroxine is needed. I feel like I'm having hyper symptoms and also hypo symptoms at the same time!! My heart seems to be going a bit slower again and I'm noticing a few more palps. Got an appointment with the GP on Friday to discuss.

Barry- maybe you do need an increase, thats funny because if I let myself get too hungry I feel awful too, do you think thats a Graves thing?

Elaine - I am doing the Scottish Slimmers diet online, but its basically counting calories, so you can have anything you want so long as you deduct the calories from your daily allowance, another half pound off this week so thats now 8lbs off in total, slow but steady!!

Marinamermaid - welcome aboard, what a rough ride you are having, sounds like your thyroid is very hard to control. My T4 came down from 60 to 15 with the carbimazole being reduced gradually over approx 6/7 months, so no yours is not a normal reaction but then everyone is different. It could be that 40mg of carbs was just too much for you, will be interesting to see what your next blood test says. Is your TSH being tested also, do you know what that is? How do you feel now on the lower dose? My appointments with my Endo were few are far between however I really think it depends on where you live, as I know some of the others on here went to see their Endo every 6 weeks, thanks goodness you have a really good GP. I (and most of us on here) opted to have RAI treatment which although a hard slog then destroys your thyroid so it can't swing from hyper to hypo. Do you have Graves Disease do you know? Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Hope everyone else ok?

Take Care

Kat xxxx

• Posted

Hi Marina. Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly, but you will feel better

although it may not feel like it at the moment. As Kat says it would be interesting to know what your TSH is. T4 and TSH are supposed to balance, one goes up and the other comes down so it's difficult to know what's going on when you only have the T4 results.

My T4 was 61 and I was put on 40 mgms. of carbs. My T4 came down quite quickly. My endo treated me with block and replace - carbs to bring my T4 down and thyroxine. It keeps the T4 level and avoids the levels going up and down as yours are, but a lot of endos don't use that method. When I'd had RAI my T4 went up to 35 so I went back onto block and replace for a time. I think the important thing is to have blood tests regularly so you know what's going on. At one time I had to have them every two weeks. It means that if things start to go wrong your treatment can be changed before things get out of hand.

It sounds like you've got a good GP so that's one thing to be thankful for.

Keep in touch. Take care.

Hi Kat. You'll be pleased when you've had your blood test and find out what's going on. Mine's not until April. I feel ok, although I'm in a funny mood today, can't agree with myself. lol. You're doing well with your diet. Take care.

Thinking of everyone.

Marigold

xxx

• Posted

Hi Barry and Kat. I've just been Googling, and Graves can cause episodes of low blood sugar. What a surprise. lol.

Marigold

xxxx

• Posted

Kat,bess marigold

Interesting find that by marigold about the low blood sugar levels it certainly makes sense. I also get tingling at the tip of my tongue sometimes as well.Apparently that is also a sign.

It happened to me last week after swimming 10 lengths when I got out the pool my body felt like it dropped to zilch,and then tongue went tingly.Got a hot chocolate and felt normal again .Its not the first time it's happened I must mention it to my gp.

• Posted

Morning all ! I've had episodes of low blood sugar for years and like you Barry, found it happened most when I had been exercising or doing a lot of rushing about. I read up about it and found that what really helps is to have protein at each meal, i.e. eggs for breakfast. Also low GI foods like pasta help to keep the blood sugar stable. I have had fasting blood sugar levels done and all is normal. Got to go, rushing as usual ! Have a good day everyone, thinking of you.

Bess xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.