Overwhelming Negative Thoughts

Posted , 83 users are following.

Hi Everyone! So I have had anxiety issues since I was a kid but this last year or two has been the worst it's ever been for me. I find myself always reverting back to my negative thinking ways. I haven't seen a therapist or a professional because frankly I can't afford it and I always end up chickening out when I do find a somewhat affordable place. 

I've been researching a lot about different anxiety disorders and I'm most relatable to that of OCD and I definitely feel I have depression as well. I'm sorry if my post is a little excessive but I find that even writing it all down, gives me some relief of all the stress I feel. I would really love any feedback and any type of help you could all give me. 

I am constantly making myself feel like I'm a bad person. I have a lot of negative thoughts running through my mind on a daily basis. I will bring up bad memories from the past of things that I did wrong or when I had made bad judgements. It's really hard for me to try and move on from past mistakes. I am always saying in my head, "I should of did this" and "why didn't I do that instead." I beat myself up over things I can't change. I notice that anytime there is something that is going good for me, I will find reasons why I don't deserve it or why I'm not worthy of having it in my life. 

I also have panic attacks when driving alone. I always worry that I hit someone or something and didn't realize it or notice. I turn the radio down real low so that I can hear every noise just in case. I get so nervous and worried that I will check my car a bunch of times just to see if there's any type of damage or difference. I think the worst if I feel a bump or hear any type of ding. 

I think the biggest thing that triggers my anxiety disorder is my fear of how people perceive me to be. I really need reassurance from others in order to feel like I'm doing things right or that I'm a good person. Everything I do or say in front of people, I analyze. I try and figure out what they are thinking and how they are judging me. I just want everyone To like me and think I'm a good person. I try to relate to everyone so that they have a positive view of me. I am always in fear of people getting the wrong idea or misinterpreting something I said and in doing so, they think I'm a terrible person. 

I also get really stressed out whenever I go into stores because I get worried that the people working there will think me or the person I'm with is trying to shoplift. I will as far as buying something I don't even really want just so that they don't think I went there just to steal something. 

When leaving the house, I go over everything  in my head and if I'm not sure whether I locked, shut or turned something off before I left, I worry the entire time something will happen to my dogs while I'm away because of it. Like if I don't make it apparent that I checked all candles were blown out, then I will just worry that my house will burn down with my dogs in it. 

There is a lot more that goes on in my head but I don't want to over load you guys in just one post. I am hoping that some of you can relate to any of the issues and can give me some advice as to what helps you. It can be so isolating living with an anxiety disorder because I know I keep these thoughts to myself since I know no one else in my life can understand what I'm going through. I avoid a lot of the things I love because they trigger my OCD thoughts and it just makes me so stressed and depressed. I want to be able to control my thoughts and just  be happy. 

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post and I look forward to hearing anything you have to say about it.  

21 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello,

So first of all, you have to realize this is your body, not your mind making you feel this way.

And, I know sometimes you think you are alone, but trust me... You're experiencing the same feelings everyone else is, just at a higher state.(more sensitive)

Look, I'm coming back from a super low depressed State, and after I go to sleep I'll start my cycle of the next best three days of my life.

Its easy for me to go through things, but it's hard on the people I love. When I'm in these"high" days, I'm the most incredible man you will ever meet. I literally move mountains, but on low days... I'm my worst enemy. I beat myself up, so bad that I'm tempted to drive the people closest to me far away. Worst part is, the next morning I regret all of it, because I'm not in the same "headspace".

It's very hard, and you must realize that seeking help is the only way to fix it. But for more long term, when I see myself running off people... I always think, "don't be selfish, think of others feelings". Try to improve others lives, and thus you will escape your hard, and release that inner person. Only the. You'll find that you can keep pace and not fall off in the typical rut. But it takes practice, and maybe alittle lithium. But if you can master the two, you can do as I have done. Finally achieve your peace. You can start being the person you know you are.reach out for those who love you, they are the ones that will show you who you truly are!

• Posted

thanks bob for your warm advice it make me feel your my best friend . i s joined the discussion here its because i dont want to talk with someone even my family because im afraid and if i do they will not believe me coz im the one who make them laugh always friend families and every person i know  but deep inside i have more negative thoughts than positve even thinking of illness and health consious i feel bad on my self i think i am crazy and i think my brain needs a doctor. 
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

I have anxiety too.  I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with it.  I've been to therapy and I didn't find it very useful.  I've perviously taken medication for it and it didn't help, my doctor says that he doesn't think medication is the answer either because it's just something that I need to work through.  But, having said that, it's somethink I've had my whole life since I've been a child.  I live in a constant state of negative thinking, and seek validation in places where it's not possible to obtain.  My anxiety is social, so it's really impossible to avoid and yet people tell me that they would never guess that I have it.  I'm my own worst enemy.  My only hope is that prayer works.

• Posted

Much love to you. I have bad periods of depression and low self esteem my self. Today is a low for me. Hopefully tomorrow well be better. Take care xxx Carol
  • Posted

First of all, I just want to let you know that I LOVE YOU! <3 you are loved & appreciated! There is nothing wrong with you going through anxiety and depression. You CAN and WILL get through this and persevere to the other side! You just have to believe you can more than the fact that your fears are controlling you.

I've been through anxiety and depression, but have overcome through Christ. I still deal with these things, just on a smaller, less overwhelming scale now because I know I have a savior to overcome for me. I found your post when looking up "what if what people think of me is all in my head" on Google. I still suffer even though I gave my life to God. I believe we are all here to help each other and that that is His purpose for us all on this earth. Your post has helped ME discover that there are more people like myself! I want you to also know there are people like you!

I still suffer with the way people percieve me on a daily basis. I'm still growing as a human being, I'm only 22 after all. I feel like people are constantly judging me when I go out in public and that they are zeroing in on my mistakes and faults. I hate shopping at the grocery store or any store really because I can't stand being around too many people at once, it overwhelms me. I have a little social anxiety, and I used to have it a lot worse where I wouldn't go out in public or even show up to work. Now I'm more confident where I don't care what people think, but I'm not quite there yet, because I still feel the heat when I mess-up or embarrass myself in public. Confidence is a hard thing to grow from the ground up, and I'm getting there, slowly but surely!

I honestly also think I have misophonia, a disorder where you detest the sounds people make. I am so detail oriented and have excellent hearing, seeing, smelling, tasting, and feeling senses. I have such great senses that I get irritated easily because I feel I am always being provoked by some sense. It is dibilitating at times, and I want to scream or give up and run away from my life and live somewhere else. This is how I currently feel pretty regularly. I hope and pray this goes away, but it won't. I just need God to help me get through it, and that's exactly what He is doing. There has to be a purpose to this suffering, and that is to help people. Hopefully I have helped you, because you have certainly helped me. I pray your anxiety lays low in the near future.

Best,

Breelagh <3

• Posted

Mary, I suffer from a lot of the same things you do. I think medication might help if you can afford it. Maybe you can get some aid from a program to help with expenses.
  • Posted

Dear All,

Please read Quran and understand it thoroughly. It has got solutions to all worldly problems. You’ll find very rare Muslims are suffering from depression and anxiety. Muslim have been told to pray to god as mentioned and consider worldly things secondary.

Our problem is that we expect too much from this world and from our own selves. In Islam it has mentioned that you will not get or lose a penny extra what has been destined for you. Muslim from childhood been thought to believe all those written in Quran.

If you want to immediate solution to the problem then you have to start shutting up your inner critic. We’ll always hearing inside ourselves that you did so and so wrong. You’ve done it in another way. Always try to win over your inner critic by giving some excuses. Ex. you may have a thought - if I would have studied better then I would’ve rich. Immediately you should give a reason to yourself that I was not having that much money that’s why I couldn’t make it. Start practicing now and see the difference.

• Posted

Hi Mary! I can relate with you on so many levels. With my experience many health professionals like to use the analytical approach and that's all good but it won't solve the issues in the long run. For example, you can tell someone who plays tennis that they can have a better serve but isn't it up to the player to work on having a better one? I've yet to find the "right" therapist but I do work on CBT exercises which I strongly believe are the key to everyone living the best life they can. Not just people with mental health issues. If you want I can work with you because I believe it would help the both of us. Do you have facebook?

• Posted

Hiya Mary, not sure when you posted this but when I searched your story hit home for me ! Everything you said is me down to a T and I just wondered if we could chat X
  • Posted

Hi Mary I can honestly say you are not alone. I too fight these battles on the daily however in some form of a different way. I'm always afraid that anywhere I go with my boyfriend was fiance it's like someone is meeting him for what no idea. Not necessarily even a female. I'm always watching the cars around me when driving because I feel like someone is following me. I find it odd when other people carry on messages with my other half but I don't know half of them. He used to bee so open and we used to get along so well. I'm not sure what happened to me. I only try to make him happy to keep him content when really I'm not even doing that for him anymore. So in return my mind scatters as to is something else going on am I just stupid. And if there isn't why the sudden change I beat myself up every day over it just because I feel I can't be enough

• Posted

Hi Mary

Thanks for your post. I know exactly how you feel. Your story and symptoms sound very similar to my own.

The constant battle with my brain is so overwhelming sometimes that I think that it will just go on forever and it I just cannot see myself in any part of the future.

I also know that I am a constant drain on my husband and family. I have no friends and don't want any. Contact with people terrifies me. I stress about upcoming appointments and meetings and even conversations.

Please know that you are not alone. As terrible as it sounds, it does help to know that you aren't the only one suffering from this insidious disease.

Please take care.

• Posted

Hi Mary, thanks your insight into what you are going through. Im also a sufferer of social anxiety and the feeling is paralysing to say the least.

I would like you to try out a self help therapy called PSTEC....you can Google it and download the free click tracks. I must say that I have had considerable success in trying the recondition my thinking and removing negative emotions and feelings from my head.

My confidence has taken a major hit because of anxiety and PSTEC positive seems to be doing wonder though.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

MC

• Posted

Hey Mary,

Ive been battling the same problems!

Im always assumig its me, never anyone else.

Im always the one who says something about how things go, but nobody agrees so I in turn think its just me. I am the problem...

The only thing I find that has helped me is doing Yoga And not even hard yoga just the beginners yoga to start. Having that time to myself and saying words outloud of positive notes...

Its not a solution but it does help! I hope you try it.

• Posted

I feel exactly the same , today was the first time i ever looked up how i was feeling and your post came up. Thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.