PAE just done. Piece of cake but now the payback 3-5 days of burning tip. Ciprofloxacin was prescicr

Posted , 11 users are following.

** back** does anyone know anything about ciproflaoxacin done like side effects but pae dr pricrible?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

drummer,

don't listen to all these advice from people who didn't go through PAE. I did, 14 months ago. It couldn't be better if performed correctly and you are the right candidate with a relatively large prostate (>80 g). I was prescribed the same Ciprofloxacin as well as a 5 days course of steroids to boost the immune system. Remember, there was a catheter inside you for a couple of hours,. Some parts of your prostate are dying currently and can cause infection. It better to be safe than sorry. Yes, Cipro (BTW the #1 antibiotic for STDs and UTIs, for those who don't know that simple fact) can be dangerous for some of your ligaments, Achilles ligament, specifically, if you stay on it long enough. 5-7 days hardly will harm you. It will take you 2-3 weeks before you will start to feel substantial improvement. It could last up to 6 month to take full effect. It could be painful for a while, but totally worthwhile the results.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Gene,

A couple of years ago Bayer issued s strong warning to doctors about Cipro and related antibiotics. You need to look this up on the net and read it before saying anything about it. I took it in Feb of last year and had a central nervous system reaction. I am still not recovered. This is a very serious issue.

Tom

• Posted

Gene thank you so much for the heads up IR said tip of penis will burn very bad but almost 26 hours post PAE no burning how long to feel burn? Not that im in a hurry for the hurt LOL

• Posted

i also had to change from CIPRO to bactrim due to heart a-fib reaction

• Posted

Bactrim is a safer option, but less effective against some bacteria and microorganisms.

Sensitivity to each antibiotics is very personal and depends on many factors including your personal sensitivity and microbiome, which suffers the first. Follow up with the Doc. Don't hesitate to discuss with him what is best for you...

• Posted

Ciprofloxacin does interfere with warfarin metabolism, but a-fib from Cipro is avery rare complication. Of course, it's one of the most effective and dangerous drugs. Observation and and dose adjustment often required. So is the case with other new antibiotics, not much better. Have their own side effects.

• Posted

There are also warnings of abdominal aortic aneurysms bursting when taking Cipro.

• Posted

Hi Drummer,

Cipro is an extremely powerful antibiotic, but a few years back many doctors, unaware of the dangerous side effects, were prescribing it as a first choice. Now there are 2 black box warnings instructing doctors to prescribe Cipro only as a very last resort, i.e. wen all other drugs have failed. It worked great for me for UTIs until the fourth round, then disaster struck and it hit me hard. I won't go into the long litany of problems other than to say I can now only walk short distances and then using a cane or walker, I no longer drive, and run the risk of falling so I rarely go down to my basement where my lab and small machine shop lie idle, but I appear to have gotten off lightly when compared to some other folks on our forum.

So, take your pick and I wish you the best of luck! Warm regards, alan86734.

• Posted

THANK YOU ALL YOUR GREAT!!

• Posted

Alan,

Doctors new about dangerous side effects of Cipro even 15 years ago. I new as well, and stopped using it when felt tired and my Achilles tendon start to hurt. It was in 2003. Nevertheless, antibiotics like Cipro (called sometimes reserve antibiotics are teh only last resort in antibiotic resistant STD or prostatitis, which is usually complicates BPH during numerous tests, urine retention in the bladder, stones of the prostate and who knows the source of the UTI infection, particularly when more than one sexual partner were met in life. In these cases Cipro sometimes is only resort to tame the unknown bacterial infection. Otherwise it's a very dangerous drug. After PAE UTI infection is a very dangerous possible complication. That's why doctors often prescribe Cipro. I agree that Bactrim is a safer choice, albeit the list of its side effects is very impressive as well. I used Cipro after my PAE for only two days and got away with only fatigue. Horrible side effects that you describe (tendonitis , central nervous system impairment are well known for many years, but are relatively rare for small doses and are more typical when Cipro is prescribed (recklessly though) for a long time use or repeatedly, like in your case.

I would take my words back. Use it only when one-two doses are prescribed. Chances are you will get away with it. Steroids usually prescribed after PAE are as dangerous... So is a severe BPH, it's no joke. Radiation amount from PAE + the previous required CT angiogram is in the range of 90 mSv, which adds 0.8% probability to die from terminal cancer of the abdominal organs (pancreas, intestine, small or large, bladder, prostate, etc.) but it's the price for the relief from BPH symptoms and avoid other sexual complications and incontinence. Total probability during the lifetime of the man is 44.2% I decided to accept my 45% instead of 44.2% and take my chances. Somebody finds it excessive, and prefers TURP .

Everything, when it comes to medical intervention, even Vitamins and supplements can be dangerous and harmful. More people die from allergy to peanut butter than from Cipro complications.

• Posted

Cipro does not cause death but it ends a victims life. Some patients are affected by only one tablet. It was often handed out in a just in case situation to travellers in case of holiday tummy.

• Posted

Derek,

don't exaggerate. Any strong medicine has horrible side effects. So does Humira and other anti-arthritic drugs Here is excerpt from such independent and reputable site as WebMD

Renata Albrecht, MD, who heads the FDA's Division of Special Pathogen and Transplant Products, estimates that spontaneous ruptures occur in about one in 100,000 people. The agency says taking the drugs appears to triple or quadruple the risk.

Most of the tendinitis and tendon ruptures affect the Achilles tendon, behind the ankle. But the agency has also received reports of tendinitis and ruptures in the shoulder and hand. Tendons connect muscle to bone.

Officials also say they are adding new warnings cautioning that patients over 60, those taking corticosteroids, and those who've undergone heart, lung, or kidney transplants are also at increased risk of tendon rupture or tendinitis if they take fluoroquinolones.

I already said that. One tablet unlikely will cause such bad side effects. I know many people younger than 60 who had spontaneous rupture of the tendon in their shoulder, hand or even pinkie. The drug just triples that frequency. Other harsh complications like aorta rupture are often difficult to attribute to Cipro. It would tons of class action suites and FDA would have banned it long ago. My Dad is 101 years old, was prescribed Cipro a few times in concern of UTI related to never treated BPH. He is still alive without major impairments. I used Cipro a few doses only for short periods of time and didn't observe any terrible side effects. Yes, the do exist and not that rare after a prolonged usage, but not as bas as some TURP results. Study for yourself the statistics of the complications due to this class of last resort antibiotics.

• Posted

Go to the floxie hope site or Youtube to watch the EMA London conference that will change your mind. One tablet was enough to disable many people. I first had it when due to prosatitis they could not get a catheter in prior to my heart valve replacement. Later on three ocasions I took the tablets for about three days. It can lay dormant until triggered by another medication in my case Bisoprolol and Clarithromycin.

Most other drugs that cause long term side effects have been taken long term.

• Posted

Fluoroquinolones are chemotherapy drugs. Meaning they destroy the DNA of the bacterial infection that is within your body. But they do not discriminate, they destroy your healthy DNA as well. They contain fluoride which is a known neurotoxin. They penetrate sensitive tissues and the blood/brain barrier.

The potential side effects are severe and numerous. They may harm your central nervous system, musculoskeletal, visual and renal systems. This can result in tendon rupture, retinal detachment, hallucinations, personality changes, kidney failure, brain fog, psychosis and loss of memory. The list does not stop there though.

Different people have very different reactions. Some cannot walk after taking just one pill, some take the prescription with no side effects. Some victims heal within months of taking one of these antibiotics while others spend the rest of their lives in pain, with side effect after side effect compromising their quality of life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.