Pain after endoscopy? Chest pain, discomfort swallowing

Posted , 100 users are following.

I had EGD yesterday with sedation. Felt pretty much fine yesterday, minus a little chest discomfort when breathing in deep. Today I've had no appetite and have discomfort swallowing, and a persistent discomfort in my chest. Waiting for call back from doctor. In meantime, reading about perforation and wondering if this sounds serious. I don't want to go to ER for a bunch more tests if this is normal. Does anyone have any experience with pain like this following endoscopy? Thanks very much.

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Reading everything you guys have said has really eased my mind. I had an endoscopy 5 days ago with multiple biopsies taken and have slowly started to feel the after effects. The first 2 days I was completely fine and then day after day I began feeling the chest pain, the tightness in my chest, and even coughing. My allergies seemed to have peaked as well. I've been having to use my inhaler for the first time in forever. I woke up this morning ready to call my doctor because I believed there must have been a complication, but now I think it must just be from the biopsies.

• Posted

Hey MaryL15,

I had my endoscopy today and I'm feeling slight discomfort/pain around my upper sternum. I also get episodic pinching pain around where they took the biopsies. Have you had similar problems and if so, did they go away on its own? or is it serious? thank you!

• Posted

Yes I too have the pain and tenderness esp when it goes down esophogus and into stomach. The coughing is crazy though I feel like Im getting a chest cold or something its very strange!?

• Posted

Hi Mary, did your discomfort improve? I had gastroscopy a week ago, first 5 days I felt fine, but yesterday started experiencing burning in the chest/sternum area and in the stomach. Today it's still the same plus uncomfortable feeling at the back of the throat. I also started having air come up every now and then. Definitely didn't feel this way Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon. So strange it would come on after 5 days. Has anyone experienced that before? I didn't have a biopsy performed, just numbed throat with the spray, the whole procedure was less than 2 minutes.

• Posted

Wow thats so fast. How long till your side effect subsided?

• Posted

hello dear, are you back to normal? tnx very much if you do reply

• Posted

Hiya

ive had an endoscopy 12 days ago and they took a biopsy, i still have stomachache just under my ribs plus my rib is slightly raised and on Paracitamol at the min. anyone know how long does it take for this to heal ?

• Posted

Hi Minakay - It took me about a month to feel "normal" again.

• Posted

Hi Minakay, I had my endoscopy + biopsy today and I'm feeling slight pain on my sternum. Did you have a similar problem and did it go away on its own?

• Posted

thanks for your reply, did you have stomach pain as well? my stomach pain is where they have taken the biopsy its not severe pain but its constant...

• Posted

Yes I did and it was very painful. It didn't go away before I raised the head-end of my bed.

• Posted

Im pretty sure its normal from what a former nurse had posted I WOULD NOT WORRY IT TAKES A FEW DAYS TO RESOLVE. Evidently the pain in general is the air they fill you up with. AND MOST TAKE BIOPSIES. UNLESS YOU SEE BRIGHT BLOOD OR BLACK TARRY STOOL YOU SHOULD BE FINE? SORRY MY TABLET IS POSSESED ITS ALL CAPS LOL? FEEL BETTER

• Posted

lol about the caps. yes the pain is gone now. thank you ❤️

• Posted

How long did it take? If you dont mind me asking?

• Posted

for it to be fully gone, it took about 4 days after the endoscopy. the day of the endoscopy i had severe throat pain, discomfort in my chest and stomach. the throat problem was gone the next day and so was the bloating. the chest discomfort took the longest but it would be gone within the first week

• Posted

What part of your chest was the discomfort with? Left side heart area? Or center? I know this was a post so long ago i hope someone could still respond huhu

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.