Pain after endoscopy? Chest pain, discomfort swallowing

Posted , 100 users are following.

I had EGD yesterday with sedation. Felt pretty much fine yesterday, minus a little chest discomfort when breathing in deep. Today I've had no appetite and have discomfort swallowing, and a persistent discomfort in my chest. Waiting for call back from doctor. In meantime, reading about perforation and wondering if this sounds serious. I don't want to go to ER for a bunch more tests if this is normal. Does anyone have any experience with pain like this following endoscopy? Thanks very much.

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm so glad I found this conversation.

I had a endoscopy and colonoscopy 2 days ago and am having pretty bad chest pains right now. In fact it woke me up at night.

After I eat anything the pain comes.

• Posted

after Endoscopy i also having difficult to swallow like break my neck

• Posted

Had EGD with sedation yesterday as soon as i got out i drank some juice and crackers it felt as if glass was going down my throat and into my upper stomach. i have been drinking smoothies and hot teas to bring down the swelling with no relief. The dr ordered Carafate but its 250.00 since my insurance wont cover it. How did any of you cope with this? Any suggestions?

• Posted

Crackers and juice are the worst thing you could possibly eat/drink after endoscopy. Smoothies won't help either - far too acid.

You need to restrict yourself to foods like milk and yoghourt (without fruit) and bland soups. Definitely NOT tomato soup though, as once again it's too acid. Some people find banana goes down well, particularly if it's mashed up well with plenty of milk or yoghourt. Porridge might go down OK.

And avoid bread whatever you do, as it's actually very acid and also acts as an abrasive on your oesophagus. Mashed potato isn't a good idea either as it's very sticky and will clog everything up.

You might find that one of the over-the-counter stomach-coating indigestion mixtures could help too - the ones that come in a one-dose sachet. I can't suggest any brand names as I'm not in the US, but you can ask your pharmacist.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to ride this one out for the next week or so, but it will get better if you avoid further irritation.

• Posted

chest pain, burning, acid reflux, indigestion, nausea

all these started after my endoscopy (they took biopsies) 4 days ago and still going. keeping to non acidic and most liquids. wondering when this will go away. doctor said to give it some time.

• Posted

did it go away i have had my endoscopy 4 days ago and until now i feel like food trapped in my throat 😦

• Posted

still fighting. its been 3 weeks. main symptom is pain in chest discomfort swallowing - feeling like food gets stuck in esophagus and then regurgitates back to the mouth.

getting a barium swallow test done now, to check for any narrowing in the esophagus. think the biopsies did some damage maybe.

• Posted

yea it might be that it got irritated, hope the exams go well for you! try to eat slowly and not cold drinks... get better!!

• Posted

Just had an endoscopy this afternoon. All seemed fine after, but when I ate my evening meal, when I swallowed, it felt like the food was struggling to get down the bottom of the oesophagus - like when you have a pill stuck. I keep getting a hiatus hernia type pain, too. I'm hoping this will be temporary. I know the consultant took some biopsies so I guess there may be some scar tissue. Sipping iced water is quite soothing but frankly, I'm regretting eating my evening meal, now!

• Posted

i had my gastroendoscopy 3 days ago, and still i am feeling like i have something stock on my throat and pain when i eat ... it is giving me anxiety 😭 has it gone for you the symptoms?

• Posted

I am so relieved to read this. I just had an endoscopy done 2 days ago. I have had a feeling like I have swallowed a large pill, and pulled a muscle in my chest making it feel like there is pressure in my chest just behind the rib cage. I debated going in to the hospital because it mentions chest pain. I wouldn't call it pain as much as pressure and it has not gotten worse. Maybe I am focussed on it and I notice it more. Also like a pulled muscle in my left shoulder blade. This discussion has helped ease the anxiety that was building though.

• Posted

Hello! I know this was posted 2 weeks ago so im not sure if you will see this but did your chest pain get better? Ive been waiting for mine to get better for 3 weeks and im starting to get worried.

• Posted

hello payton, i'm also terrified, would you please tell me if you have recovered?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.