Pain/discomfort under right rib cage.

Posted , 412 users are following.

I have been experiencing this for the last few months, I have been searching the web looking for answers.  I am a 45 year old female, in good health, I take no medications, thin, active, I eat healthy, so I am at a loss. I have this feeling like there is something under my right rib cage as if something is stuck underneath or enlarged. At first I thought I had strained a muscle b/c I had been working out in the yard the day before it started. It doesn't hurt, it just feels like there is something there that shouldn't be but when I touch the area there is no swelling or bulge. After about 3-4 weeks when it wasn't going away I went to see my doctor. They did blood work, urine labs and sent me for an ultrasound of gallbladder, all came back normal. I have no other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, etc. just this feeling like something is there. It seemed to go away on it's own and then came back and has come and gone since sometimes lasting a few days, sometimes a few weeks. When it is back wearing a bra is uncomfortable. Sometimes there is a warmth or burning sensation in the area. The only other symptoms I have had that I think are related are these: A few months before this started I experienced a fluttering sensation, almost like when I was pregnant and the baby moved, in the same location, a couple of times. Since this has started, on 3 or 4 different occasions, I have experienced a charlie horse like spasm in the same area, below the right rib, when bending over from a sitting position. Does anyone have any answers as to what this might be?  Does it sound like IBS? Peptic Ulcer? Hiatal Hernia?  

30 likes, 688 replies

688 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi I was wondering if u ever found out what was goin on??? I was reading u post and got tickled at the way u described the baby movement feeling I have often described my symptoms the exact same way... any info that u received please share... thanx, J'me

• Edited

I have the same problem. Did you find anything out?
    • Posted

I go to another Dr. On Tues. Will try to remember to update u

• Posted

Thank you. Good luck at the Drs.

I had my gallbladder removed so I know it's not that. I feel like it's IBS. So hard to find a good doctor that listens!

• Posted

hey there!! same here 😦 did you maybe learn what was wrong with you?? i am really concerned with this feeling and cannot get any help 😦

• Posted

hey there!! same here 😦 did you maybe learn what was wrong with you?? i am really concerned with this feeling and cannot get any help 😦

• Edited

Hi, ive got that same golf ball feeling under my rib, just annoying and uncomfortable. . Hurts to wear bra? Did you ever get an answer?
    • Posted

• Edited

I could have written this myself! I went to the Doctor yesterday. I have a cat scan and blood work scheduled next week.

I too have those very painful Charlie horses in the same area!

I am thinking it is the muscle that wraps around from your back to the front. I will let you know what my tests reveal! My pain at the moment is bad enough to affect my sleep!

• Edited

Hi Valerie1951, Please DO keep us updated as I have the same problem with the charlie horses in that area and EVERY time I bend over it wants to charlie horse! It's just awful. Thanks!

• Edited

Same here 😦

I've had several different feelings under the right rib area. I've had gallbladder removed years ago, full hysterectomy. For several years, I feel random light pinch like pains under right rib in the abdomen area, comes and goes, lasts seconds . Other times, it feels like the ribcage itself that's sore, just on the edge, that pain was also intermittent. I thought maybe poor posture? But now not so sure it's posture related. I've also had awful charlie horse/cramps, muscle spasm in right rib cage. But last 2 weeks, I've had both pains and although they come and go, it's lasting. I have diahrea and some mushy stools but doctor say it's likely IBS and because I don't have a gallbladder anymore. I've had bad reflux last year as well. I thought all of these where not related but will go to doctor this week and check it out. Have you had any results?

• Posted

Did you get any results? I was told I had costochondlitis, but went to urgent care today and was told they want to rule out things with liver, kidney, etc. I too have the soreness on the bottom of my ribcage and my rib too, thus thinking it was the costochondritis. But, I wonder if IBS is my problem as well.

• Posted

I had to look and see if I posted this! I have the same thing - I also thought it was posture related. But it doesn't seem to be. Has your pain gotten better? Have you gotten any answers?

• Posted

what tests did they run for liver and kidney? same symptoms and my CT s fine

• Posted

I've been fighting this pain for years with terrible stabbing pain and Charlie horse- almost paralyzing me and feeling I have something growing under my rib. I had all the possible tests done and spent lots of money on doctors and tests. In my case it was the back- almost like a pinch nerve mid back. With physical therapy, yoga, warm blankets, massages with pain cream, it finally went away. I still get occasionally pain and I know I need to do my stretching. It is almost unreal of how the nerve pain goes from all the way in the back under the rib. I hope you can consider looking into this too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.