Pain/discomfort under right rib cage.

Posted , 412 users are following.

I have been experiencing this for the last few months, I have been searching the web looking for answers.  I am a 45 year old female, in good health, I take no medications, thin, active, I eat healthy, so I am at a loss. I have this feeling like there is something under my right rib cage as if something is stuck underneath or enlarged. At first I thought I had strained a muscle b/c I had been working out in the yard the day before it started. It doesn't hurt, it just feels like there is something there that shouldn't be but when I touch the area there is no swelling or bulge. After about 3-4 weeks when it wasn't going away I went to see my doctor. They did blood work, urine labs and sent me for an ultrasound of gallbladder, all came back normal. I have no other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, etc. just this feeling like something is there. It seemed to go away on it's own and then came back and has come and gone since sometimes lasting a few days, sometimes a few weeks. When it is back wearing a bra is uncomfortable. Sometimes there is a warmth or burning sensation in the area. The only other symptoms I have had that I think are related are these: A few months before this started I experienced a fluttering sensation, almost like when I was pregnant and the baby moved, in the same location, a couple of times. Since this has started, on 3 or 4 different occasions, I have experienced a charlie horse like spasm in the same area, below the right rib, when bending over from a sitting position. Does anyone have any answers as to what this might be?  Does it sound like IBS? Peptic Ulcer? Hiatal Hernia?  

30 likes, 688 replies

688 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Following this article. I've had a similar experience and my physician isn't able to confirm the pain. Ultrasound has been completed along with bloodwork and everything and been negative. I would like to know what is wrong with me.

• Posted

I am so excited to find this discussion. This is exactly what i have been experiencing! Symptoms have been present for a few years but have worsened recently since I had long sitting episodes holding my newborn granddaughter for two weeks. I am 50 years old and in good health. I had my gallbladder removed last year so I know this is not the cause and my liver tests looked normal. I don't have a lot of pain but sometimes I feel a slight pain that subsides. It feels like something is lodged or stuck or maybe enlarged and is uncomfortable and "present" under/ below my right ribcage. When I bend over, it feels "in the way" or pinched and is uncomfortable. It used to feel like the size of a golf ball ( if I were to imagine it) and lately it feels bigger. 😕

• Posted

I never got an answer but, shortly after starting pantoprazole, the pain went away. This pain was there frequently for several years and usually worst after drinking too much alchool.

• Posted

Same symptomes!

I wonder if it has to do with pregnancies?

It would be helpful for everyone if we all were to answer a couple of questions and maybe we start connecting the dots?

Everyone is welcome to add questions.

Female or Male:

Pregnancies?

Diagnosed Illnesses?

Tests done and the findings:

• Posted

I'll start.

My symptomes started after pregnancy.

Female or Male: Female

Pregnancies? 1, C section, Cholestasis during pregnancy

Diagnosed Illnesses? Ulcerative Colitis, Pcos

Tests done and the findings: Ultrasounds, Gallbladder, Pancreas all fine. Diagnosed fatty liver

• Posted

Iv had 4 children but I am now 63 and this started with me about 2 years ago... at first it was just when I bent over to tie my shoes or something of that nature , my muscle would spasm and get stuck in that position and id have to stretch my arms over my head to stretch it back out... scary really...

• Edited

Ive been experiencing what i call a "kink" in upper left side of my stomach. If I'm sitting i have to quickly stand or it is way uncomfortable. I can feel it as it gets rock hard along a little part of my stomach. I cant believe all these comments/symptoms in description haven't been identified. I had gallstones as a diagnosis once about 8 months ago.? weird how it causes it to get hard, then somewhat releases and goes back down. some days it doesn't bother me at all. i truly believe it's linked to colon/bowels... I'm following!

• Edited

Yes! im exactly the same. So glad i found this thread as its driving me insane now. Imagining all kinds of scary things are wrong and no answers. All bloods are fine. Been over a year. Feels like something is trapped.. feeling of bruising on very bottom of lower right rib cage. Occasionally moves and pain radiates outwards to left front and back. Sometimes not there, but most of the time is, to a greater or lesser degree. Cant seem to find any real relief for it. I try shifting around and heat to try and move 'it' but nothing works. Feels like something pops in or out of place in certain posistions... but nothing changes. Going to go back to gp for 3rd time, but lockdown has meant i cant be seen properly. So frustrating. I just want it to stop.

When its bad, has anyone found painkillers work?

• Edited

Hi - I had exactly the same issue - it was driving me absolutely crazy! It was pretty much all I could think about from morning till night.

I finally figured out what it was (after MRI, ultrasound and a few other things). It was purely muscular.

I had a session with a physio therapist and a few muscles in my back and under my right ribs were extremely tight - this gave the feeling of something being under the ribs. The thing that helped me most was breathing REEEEALLY deeply (as deeply as physically possible) and I could immediately feel it stretching the tight muscles. I only needed to do this for a few days before it began to feel better.

I also did some other stretches - mainly leaning over to the left hand side - and could feel all the muscles in my back and right hand side were tight. After I few weeks I feel so much better - I hope this works for you!

• Edited

I have had the same issues!! Mine started as a tingling sensation to the right of my bellybutton weeks ago. It was more annoying then anything and I've also been super gassy so I thought maybe gas bubbles. I've had 2 kids and the feeling does feel like the first flutters you feel but pregnancy test came back negative. I've also been very bloated feeling. Last week I was having pain in my right lower abdomen so of course I consulted Dr. Google & all signs were pointing to possible appendicitis. Yesterday I had more of the tingling by my ribs and definitely the golf ball under my ribs feeling. It's definitely worse sitting with most relief from laying down. It feels like I need to stretch out that area or something. I also had an insane cramp mid stomach to the right where I first felt the tingling on Monday so was concerned.

I just saw my Dr early yesterday morning to get checked out. She did blood work which I will find results today or tmrw. I also had a strange period that was heavy but lasted only 1.5 days. I'm usually 3-5 days. I'm turning 40 today so I didn't think it was menopause related. She thought it might be a ovarian cyst but now the weird sensation is under my right rib. It's more uncomfortable then painful. It's so weird. I will keep you all updated. So glad I found this thread!!

• Edited

Hi - I had exactly the same issue - it was driving me absolutely crazy! It was pretty much all I could think about from morning till night.

I finally figured out what it was (after MRI, ultrasound and a few other things). It was purely muscular.

I had a session with a physio therapist and a few muscles in my back and under my right ribs were extremely tight - this gave the feeling of something being under the ribs. The thing that helped me most was breathing REEEEALLY deeply (as deeply as physically possible) and I could immediately feel it stretching the tight muscles. I only needed to do this for a few days before it began to feel better.

I also did some other stretches - mainly leaning over to the left hand side - and could feel all the muscles in my back and right hand side were tight. After I few weeks I feel so much better - I hope this works for you!

• Posted

I have exactly this pain right now. Currently feel like an organ is trying to leave my body!! I have it most evenings, and before and after eating pretty much anything. Ive also had all sorts of tests and scans but with no explanation. Thank you for posting this as Ive been so afraid it was something far more sinister, or that i was even imagining the pain. My doctor has been so dismissive and repeatedly prescribed indigestion medication. I could cry with relief that im not the only one.

• Edited

I have exactly this pain right now. Currently feel like an organ is trying to leave my body!! I have it most evenings, and before and after eating pretty much anything. Ive also had all sorts of tests and scans but with no explanation. Thank you for posting this as Ive been so afraid it was something far more sinister, or that i was even imagining the pain. My doctor has been so dismissive and repeatedly prescribed indigestion medication. I could cry with relief that im not the only one.

• Edited

hi, does any of you have pain or discomfort also at the same area at back? next to the spine? Im thinking maybe its spine related that pain reflects to the abdominal area. i have it on and off for almost a year...cant live like this anymore in constant fear 😭

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.