Pain/discomfort under right rib cage.

Posted , 412 users are following.

I have been experiencing this for the last few months, I have been searching the web looking for answers.  I am a 45 year old female, in good health, I take no medications, thin, active, I eat healthy, so I am at a loss. I have this feeling like there is something under my right rib cage as if something is stuck underneath or enlarged. At first I thought I had strained a muscle b/c I had been working out in the yard the day before it started. It doesn't hurt, it just feels like there is something there that shouldn't be but when I touch the area there is no swelling or bulge. After about 3-4 weeks when it wasn't going away I went to see my doctor. They did blood work, urine labs and sent me for an ultrasound of gallbladder, all came back normal. I have no other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, etc. just this feeling like something is there. It seemed to go away on it's own and then came back and has come and gone since sometimes lasting a few days, sometimes a few weeks. When it is back wearing a bra is uncomfortable. Sometimes there is a warmth or burning sensation in the area. The only other symptoms I have had that I think are related are these: A few months before this started I experienced a fluttering sensation, almost like when I was pregnant and the baby moved, in the same location, a couple of times. Since this has started, on 3 or 4 different occasions, I have experienced a charlie horse like spasm in the same area, below the right rib, when bending over from a sitting position. Does anyone have any answers as to what this might be?  Does it sound like IBS? Peptic Ulcer? Hiatal Hernia?  

30 likes, 688 replies

688 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi, I have a hiatus hernia and Costchronditis (something like that) and was told my pain and swelling under my ribs was the Costchronditis. Also have Fybro amongst other things. I've been reading up and the swelling could be related to the hiatus hernia and is called Biliary Colic. It happens when you eat certain foods and the bile collects causing swelling and discomfort.... Anyone else heard of this??

• Posted

Wow, you've just described my symptoms perfectly. I am slightly concerned that no one seems to have any answers yet though 😦

mine started two weeks ago after a bad reaction to the pfizer vaccine. i have CFS so i have an overactive ammune system and had a pretty bad reaction. I had a burning/warm sensation at the top and bottom of my back and upper abdomen. the doctor thought it was nerve pain and just told me to take painkillers. this burning feeling faded but i have been left with this weird feeling under my rib. not painful but uncomfortable enough to stop me sleeping and i have had to start propping myself up in bed and lying on my back because lying on my side is impossible now. when im standing i feel ok but lying on side or sitting is bad. I also feel like it's worse at night but i get some relief from it first thing in the morning when I wake up. there is a warm feeling coming from the area as well which i notice more when under a duvet in bed.

the doctors are quite dismissive atm so i've just got to wait a few more weeks before i can go back again.

i really hope someone gets so answers soon.

• Posted

This happened to me. Have you ever broken a rib? Years back I did. I recently went to the Dr because on my right side under my ribs, there was pain and felt like a click. Turns out I have 2 slipped ribs. It can happen from injuries, or it can happen by itself. It can also happen if you have been coughing a lot

• Edited

wow! i have been having this same issue the weird pain sensation is right below my right breast where the first row of abs would be. it happens when i rotate my abdomen to the right or left or flair/depress my rib cage. at the same time that this came about i also started experiencing acid reflux which i never experienced before- been waking up in the middle of the night from it. the rib spot pain is a very unusual sensation

• Edited

42 year old male and have lost hope in getting this pain diagnosed.

10 years ago i felt a twinge in my upper right quadrant area whilst out cycling so i went to the doctors they sent me for an ultrasound - diagnosis PBC primary billery cirrhosis.

Had several x rays - results from all ok to splinter in rib bone.......rubbish !

I went private to a top consultant and he confirmed PBC was a misdiagnosis.

Had another ultrasound - all ok

Still got the pain still no diagnosis

Had another ultrasound - gall bladder sludge.

Had my gall bladder removed - no difference pain still occurring.

Had liver function tests several times - all ok

Had mri scans - all clear

I have been told by consultant that i may need cognitive therapy - im not convinced.

Im still getting the pain especially when driving..........im really worried that something is underlying. It feels like a air bubble that

moves around under my right rib cage mainly at the front and the side, when i touch my rib cage with my finders its sore and

painful.

having my gall bladder removed has really complicated things because its added so many other symptoms. im so sad and worried everyday.

Im a diagnostic technician and find it hard to believe that they cannot find out whats wrong with me.

any suggestions - please help

• Posted

hi paul, hows things going? mine started the same under right rib pain... 10 years later gallbladder out and now..... no better... in fact ive more pains and symptoms and its worse as I've no gallbladder to blame!!

• Posted

My pain seems to have shifted. i think my PPI were causing the yellow stool and pain below sternum. Since stopping PPI (rabeprazole) stools became normal again and the pain has gone back to ruq and flank. very strange. been waiting 3 months to see GI.

• Posted

is it an ulcer? i have the same discomfort snd thats what the dr thinks i have got

• Posted

is it an ulcer? i have the same discomfort snd thats what the dr thinks i have got

• Posted

Still no idea. saw my GI last week. had an MRCP scan and ill go get my result on Monday. praying its not pancreatic cancer or bile duct cancer.

if this shows nothing i need an mri on my small bowel next week.

• Edited

after 2 years of feeling exactly like you described I’ve discovered i have a large kidney stone - never expected this to feel as high up but often pain and sensations can be referred and felt elsewhere. so happy to finally be able to stop googling it and know what it is - I’d diagnosed a few things over the last 2 years but didn’t even consider a kidney stone

• Edited

clare30883

Did you sometimes have that weird sensation in your upper back or shoulder blade area at times? Did they not test for kidney stones before? Did you ever have a fever, chills, nausea, or vomiting? What type of test did they do to find it? Did your feeling go away when you lay on your back on the floor? Let us know! ty

• Posted

nothing in back or shoulder blade - it was all at the front under right ribs. they tested blood and urine 2 years ago and again in July this year and said all was fine. then the high level pain started in august which was all in right hip - that’s when i had CT scan and they diagnosed it. i had it removed yesterday -obviously in some discomfort due to the procedure but wow feels unreal to be rid of the feeling under my ribs that I’ve had for 2 years. no I’ve never had fever or chills. yes i had vomiting when the high level pain started in august. the feeling under my ribs was worse when sitting and could be felt when lying on back but was better when stood up and walking or lying on front. when i was at the hospital yesterday i was talking to someone who had just had their gallbladder removed and they had similar feeling under ribs - there’s so many organs there that it could be one of many things. i think i was so scared about what it could be that i never challenged the GP surgery when they were saying all was fine but it’s like anything the quicker it’s dealt with the better. I’m just hoping no long term kidney damage - i have a follow up appointment in a couple of months.

• Posted

further update - kidney stone was removed but this feeling continued and now I’ve found I’ve got gallstones!

• Posted

Thank you for update. How did they diagnose the gall stones?

• Posted

ultrasound when they were checking kidney 3 months after op

• Posted

and a year later after no symptoms i now have the rib feeling back but not as bad but have shoulder blade and hip ache - CT scan booked - traces of blood in urine so thinking another kidney stone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.