Pain from walking aids

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi. I have broken 2 bones in my left ankle and am due to have surgery to inserts a couple of plates next week. At the moment I am wearing a very heavy immobilising cast to allow the swelling to go down. I keep the leg elevated all of the time except when I need to use the bathroom. I have a walking frame and crutches to get around on but find they cause a lot of pain in my hands resulting in bruises. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanking you in advance.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I understand completely.  I am 4 weeks out w/ the same injury of my right ankle.  I use the crutches occasionally but most often a walker.  My hands had bruises on them after the first week- my husband has put pipe insulation around the handles and secured it with gorilla tape.  I tried gloves for a day or 2 also- but this has helped.  They are still sore, but not painful.  I have kind of a funny story... but 4 days after we got home from surgery- I had GI issues in the middle of the night.  I had to get up 5 times.... and the next morning my hands were killing me.  It was all I could do to get to the bathroom... that was when we tried gloves.  you can also tape towels around the handles.

I have a scooter too now- thought that would be easy, but i got a sore on my knee after just using it for 2 hours... . they have put a padding UNDER my cast and we have added a sheepskin cover w/ additional padding under it.  It is easier on my knee- but i have to admit- none of this is easy.  But... it does get easier from where you are now so hang in there.

• Posted

regarding scooters- do not buy a free spirit scooter - it is awful.  Do some research on them- there are various features and definately Amazon is the way to go..  Our insurance was willing to cover (had a letter of medical necessity) but we borrowed one and it is definately only for inside use.  I would love to go out for a walk, but we live on a hill and the road is very hard on the tires.  We replaced the back ones but it has not made it any easier for outside.  Sigh.... 8 more weeks :-)

• Posted

I used mine outside to get in and out of restaurants, but not on bumpy roads or bumpy paths. There are all-terrain ones, but those are big and bulky, and unless you plan to knee scooter all the time outside I really wouldn't recommend those. I bought one and never used it because it is huge and very heavy. You need one light enough to put in and out of your car by yourself by leaning on the car with one leg. I got the ' Drive Medical DV8 Aluminum Steerable Knee Walker Crutch Alternative ', on Amazon.

• Posted

I used mine inside and out. Has basket at front. Weighs about 10 KGS. Heavy ones don't tip over so easily. I used in on gentle slopes. Around hospital.

It's not a toy and does require concentration at all times. Mines got good strong breaks.

Your knee will get used to it. Everything in early stages hurts. While my knee felt uncomfortable at times, it took my mind off my break. Until I figured out how to position my knee. Has a contoured knee pad, and knee can go forward. Mine is a German sounding name starting with Frei. And ending with heit.

Inattention caused me to fall off at times. Fare raced down the hospital corridors!

🏃?👣?🌼😂👣👏🚶🚶🚶🚶

• Posted

Looks like you were hit with moderation too smile For those newer to the site, we try our best, and learn what we can say here. I learned that dots between two words, without a space look like an online site, and some words are more prone to problems. Even my words here may not go through. A few days ago one of my entries got snagged .There is always private message you can use (the little envelope under the symbol to the left of the writing box, that allows you to send most anything to just one individual). It's unusual for the ones of us who have been here for a while to still get dinged, but sometimes we still do! Got you Tituscanby! smile

• Posted

Hi, Brom100. Ttimalleoar fracture of my right ankle st the Oakland A's game on 8/14. Was supposed to have surgery tomorrow 23rd, but they put me antibiotics today at preop check and delayed surgery until 25th. I have the knee walker and like it (just using inside since has a basket). Helps for brushing teeth, carrying things. Crutches for getting out 2 stairs only to car (no drive/walk 12 weeks). My 21 year old daughter works so I am home alone most of the time. I just bought commode for bedroom after surgery because I will be NWB for 8 weeks.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that Lisa. I live in the SF Bay Area too. I am 6 mos. out from a trimalleolar fracture. It's great you have the scooter with a basket. Things will get better- this is a time to catch up on quiet things from bed that you haven't had time to do in years- books, sewing, emailing, movies. Just know the first few weeks are the hardest, because it's hard to get around and you may feel down and bored, but things do get better. Have your daughter make your food for you for the next day, so you are set with things to eat, that's probably the most important thing. Try to have friends stop by when you can to check on you to break up the day. I hope you can have your surgery soon, so you can move forward with your timeline. Month 4 things really start coming together. It takes a while, so you know what to expect. 

• Posted

And Lisa- I think you will be starting WB before 12 weeks hopefully. They told me 10 weeks in a cast (you start counting after surgery) and I ate really healthy and exercised my upper body a lot to get the blood flowing and oxygen pumping through my body (there are a lot of great you tube videos for upper body strength), and I started PWB walking with a shoe they put on the bottom of my cast at week 7. At week 13 I could walk in the boot without aides. A lot of people get a boot instead of a cast. I thought it was a bummer to get a cast, but they changed it every two weeks, and I was glad I had a cast in the end. 
    • Posted

Thank you for the kind words. I have been caregiving for my elderly mom in another county for the lasr few years. Coordinating repairs,

picking up mail, bill paying (almost all auto except oaoer and landscaping), food shopping, etc. That was my first thought (my mom), but I called one of my mom's much younger friends and both she and my daughter have stepped up. i am an assistant book club organizer so I do like to read. The positive thing is I retired last year from the stress of taking care of my mim, commuting to Sacramento, and just normal work stress (did payroll and benefits and Workers Comp).This means I can just concentrate on getting better.Good to know someone else who has been in the same boat. Great advice, thank you and wishing you well in your journey.

• Posted

New to the group!  I’m three weeks in to the healing process.   I find the knee scooter very uncomfortablebut essential!  Crutches are almost impossible for a klutz like me. 

This struggle to be patient and positive is more challenging than I had anticipated!

• Posted

Hi Susan, 

Welcome to the healing process.  I have a knee scooter too and I found it impossible until my husband got a sherpa seat for me. What a God send ! My knee was literally scratched and bruised before the seat. 

Also, anyone who needs help in what you will need. A grabber to pick up your things that fall on the ground or even help get clothes on !  A basket for your scooter to transfer your things to and from where you are going in the house. 

I am 3 weeks out today and I find that recovery is the worst ! I have no patience myself and find that I have gotten quite down from all this. Oh and no one understands! 

I hope everyone is right when they say... "this will pass!"

Rose 

• Posted

I am extremely impatient!  I am only 3 weeks post op also—and I wonder if I can make it!  

I may have to get one of those fleecy pads to help. I found a second knee scooter so I can keep one in my car. I will have that tomorrow so I hope a little bit of freedom with help my spirits!  

I am in no pain at all from the surgery. I just am not used to being so helpless!

• Posted

Hi. I’m new to the group. I’m almost two weeks post ankle surgery for a trimalleolar fracture. I initially was on a splint and crutches. A few days after surgery I decided to use a knee scooter. 

Today I returned to work (I work from home), but find it extremely difficult. I can do a few tasks on the scooter but it’s so difficult and I end up exhausted from doing one small task, drench in sweat. Now my broken foot side is experiencing hip pain. I try to stand and set my knee on the scooter. Or when I walk. And my hip hurts.

I’ve tried adjusting the height of the scooter but I’m alone most of the day all days. I’m already annoying everyone. Some people don’t talk to me. Others just ignore me. sad

• Posted

HI kat, 

It is very soon for you to be back to work. I hope you re think it if you have the option. A scooter is wonderful but it doesn't do every thing for you. The sweat is you working your body. Please take the time to rest your body. I had my surgery in Nov of 2017 and I'm still winded and tired. Did you put a cushion on your scooter for your knee? You will need it if not. Also, get yourself a basket for it and then get yourself a grabber. Anything that can help. 

I understand your frustration. I just posted about mine! Everyone here is super sweet and will give you some support and gentle guidance. 

And ask for help!! No one is mad at you or annoyed by you. I had the same thoughts.. its us who just think it. 

Best of luck to you!

Rose

and keep us posted!

• Posted

Hi everyone!

I’m new here. I broke my ankle in April and got surgery in May. I’m a little over 3 weeks post-op. I’m NWB for at least 6 weeks. They switched me to a boot last week and I hate it. It rubs against my incision site and my ankle doesn’t feel supported. I’ve been using crutches to get around and the knee scooter. It hurts to move around in my boot though. I wrapped an ace bandage around it for more padding but it only helped a little.  I dont know what else to do! 😢

When I’m downstairs I use the scooter but when I’m using it I get pain in my shin going down to my ankle. It’s super uncomfortable. I ride it around for maybe 5 minutes tops and then I have to get off because it hurts.  Anyone else have this problem? 

• Posted

Hi Nettydee 

Not everyone likes the scooters. I had the same issue where it was killing my shin and the pain was crazy. So my husband bought a nice cover for it.  Look them up, they have a lot of them! It helped a great deal!! 

Good luck, 

Rose

• Posted

Hi Rose! 

Thanks for replying. Yea it’s been tough figuring out the most comfortable way to be mobile. I have people telling me what I should be doing by now and it’s very frustrating. What pad did your husband get for you. I’ve seen a lot but I don’t know which one I should get! 

Thanks ,

Netty 🤗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.