Pain just under rib for months

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi! I have been having a constant pain in right upper quadrant just below rib. I have had this pain for now 3 months. Doc has had me do ultrasound of liver gallbladder which was negative, I have had an endoscopy done because he thought it might have been a duodenum ulcer but it was negative, I been treated with one personal 40 mg a day Nexium 40 mg a day but nothing seems to help. The pain is dull achy but sometimes can be sharp and it sometimes radiates to the back right under my shoulder blade. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy, all my blood tests are normal and the doctor is at loss, next step would be a CT scan with contrast of abdomen and pelvic area. I am starting to get very worried and honestly don't know what could be causing this constant pain. Gallbladder was normal and no stones were noted. Is anyone experiencing something similar, I would appreciate any advice on the matter.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi. I too have this pain in the upper right abdomen under the rib cage.  I've been tested, biopsied, and scanned more than any other human being in the world. What they found was fatty liver and fibrosis.  I am scheduled for another CT scan on October 18th.  This has been going on for years.  My abdomen is also very bloated which is embarrassing and uncomfortable.  The pain has increased so much that I think about it all the time.  I wish they would come up with a plan.  I'm taking a lot of supplements and vitamins along with medication, but nothing seems to work.  Doctor says to lose weight and excercise.  He suggests that I get a pain management appointment with my primary care physician.  Oh, I also have IBS, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and anxiety, so I think these problems all tie in together.  Keep us posted if you find any solutions.  Sorry, I wish I had some.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind response!I am scheduled for a ct with contrast on friday. I am very anxious about it, all my family is walking on egg shells right now. They did do an ultrasound a month ago, it was negative, my enzymes seem to be fine too but this dull pain ache under the rib and sometimes just below is driving me nuts, so is the direct backache I get. I also have yellow eyelid not eyeballs though, i have had that for a long time...no clue what is wrong with me!
    • Posted

Good luck with the CT scan.  Hopefully they can give you an answer. Waiting is so hard.  We just want to get rid of this pain.  We both want to live our lives without thinking about the pain....Am I right?  For sure!
    • Posted

Did you have any duct dilation on your ultrasound?

Keep us updated with the CT results.

I don't want to scare you, but your symptoms are very suggestive, in case you've actually had any kind of duct dilation on your US, especially if it was a double-duct dilation.

• Posted

These problems started happening 4 yrs ago after my mom passed away.  That's the first time I found out I had a "scar" on my liver.  That's right, they said I had a scar on my liver and I didn't worry about it because they didn't sound concerned.  Now the scars (aka fibrosis) are multiplying and my liver is enlarged.  I have terrible pain in the upper right quadrant as well as IBS.  CT scan is scheduled for Oct. 18th.  I feel like I'm dying.  It's a scary feeling.

• Posted

Do you have duct dilation of any kind on your ultrasound?

Do you have jaundice?

Do you see your symptoms getting worse or coming back and forth?

• Posted

It didn't talk about dilation on ultrasound it did say the biliary duct was normal, pancreas unremarkable ... Bilirubin normal

• Posted

Also, have you checked your pancreas and do you have a history of pancreatic issues in your family?
    • Posted

I had an us done and said unremarkable and my enzyme are normal, but my doctor wants to see if the ultrasound missed small lesions on pancreas so I will be doing a ct scan
    • Posted

They had said I have Gylbert syndrome but this was years ago, my bilirubin has been fine lately
    • Posted

Also, how old are you and what's your BMI?

Do these symptoms have a fast progression or is the pain, etc. mild in nature at the moment?

• Posted

And yea, does it hurt if you press on the area beyond the right ribs? Maybe a mild discomfort. Or is the pain independent of palpation and constant?
    • Posted

I am asking this, because I am 20 and had a persistent abdominal discomfort.

An area of mild discomfort/pain beyond the right ribs, ocassional pains all around the stomach, ocassional lower back pain and weird indigestion.

Caught a cold recently and had nausea, loss of appetite and weight due to it, however no longer nave nausea/bad appetite from yesterday, because I got better.

My pains and symptoms don't progress anywhere and the mild persistent tenderness is what scare me the most.

• Posted

Had all of this for 5 months.

Ocassional pains, tenderness, gas, anxiety and poorly digested stools.

Symptoms didn't develop anywhere.

• Posted

I am 44, normal to low bmi, pain and tenderness are constant for 3 months, i thought it was peptic ulcer but scope revealed no gastritis nor ulcers. I wonder if it could be colon too? Or intestines? What are you worried about pc? Did you do any tests?
    • Posted

Pain is independent of palpations, mostly below rib on right side
    • Posted

I am a hypochondriac, so I expect the worst for myself, even though I spoke to several people and thet assured me, that I am just crazy.

I had a history of searching for brain/breast/liver/eye/heart/skin tumors in me + lymphomas, I thought I had tuberculosis and systematic lupus.

Now I am convinced, that I have pancreatic cancer.

My pains are very mild and symptoms don't progress, which kinda gives me a temporary relief, but I am just uncontrollably anxious.

Had an ultrasound with no abnormalities and I checked it myself for possible missed duct dilation.

When I freaked out and said, that I fear pancreatic cancer, I was given a weird look. I asked the sonographer to examine everything veeery thoroughly.

At this point, I am unsure, whether some of my symptoms are actually somatized fears.

• Posted

I can get these weird skin sensations occasionally beyond right ribs and if I press there hard, while laying on my left, I can sense a tender spot.
    • Posted

Not to make you scared or freak you out, but did you have a history of cancers in your family?

Do you have weird pigmentation spots on your lips?

Do you have ashkenazi jewish heritage by any chance?

• Posted

The mind can definitely play a huge role on our physical body! I would rest assured in your case if us was normal and blood work too you are probably good! do you have to follow up with a GI doctor? Did you do an Hida scan to see if your gallbladder is functioning correctly ?
    • Posted

None of the above! My mom recently passed away of melanoma, she was only 63.
    • Posted

In live in the capital in my country, will be making an appointment to GI in the city central GI institute to ensure quality of diagnostics.

Will do the bloodwork, will ask for full examination and evaluation.

I have hereditary structural differences in the way my gallbladder is shaped, so that indeed may be the problem, but additional exams are needed.

• Posted

Btw, this is the area, where upon applied pressure I feel discomfort.
    • Posted

hey I realise this is a old post and am wondering if you figured out what was going on with you? I have the exact symptoms all of them that i had to check if I posted this...

hope you are doing better.

• Posted

This is exactly what I'm experiencing and it's really scary. I get so anxious that my heart rate picks up sometimes. I also experience leg shaking/trembling sometimes because of the fear and so my right leg has been feeling a bit heavy especially down from my knees.

It's really scary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.