Pain relief at 3 wks post fkr.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 3 weeks post fkr. After having my staples removed I asked the nurse if the pain relief (codine)could be repeated on prescription, I was told to take just regular paracetamol and ibuprofen. I'm sleeping maximum an hour and usually straight after ice and feel I could achieve more sleep if my pain was under control. Any ideas gratefully received.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle your local chemist will sell you 8/500 cocodamol, just try not to take too many, but you do not want to be in pain because you will get discomfort and want be able to sleep, make sure you ice and rest and maybe a slight raise with a pillow when you go to bed, make sure you do any exercises you are told to do and elevate when your sitting to ensure the least amount of swelling you can get, if in doubt pharmacy or GP for advice and here of course
    • Posted

Thank you AlexandriaGizmo. I did not know I could buy stronger over the counter. I do use a pillow at night and raise throughout the day. I'm following my exercise routine, plus walking out with my dog a couple of times a day approx 400-500 meters to a field where I can run the dog. I'll be heading to a pharmacy tomorrow. Thank you again

• Posted

Hello Michelle. You should ask the GP for higher dose codeine or tramadol as if you're in too much pain you won't be able to do the exercises. I got 30/500 cocodamol just by phoning the surgery explaining my situation and that I couldn't come to the surgery and they arranged for them to be left at the pharmacy for my husband to collect.  If you don't ask you won't get. You must also get more sleep as that's when the best healing happens.  Best wishes to you let us know what happens. X

• Posted

Hi Elaine. I will phone on Monday, the nurse who removed my staples was at my home surgery and did go and ask a doctor. I do tend to struggle on, but the lack of sleep is really getting to me now, some days I'm struggling to get a sentence out I'm so tired.

Many thanks

Michelle

• Posted

Damned nurse.  I'll bet if she had had a TKR she would doped up to the eyeballs with opiates!   Paracetamol and ibuprofen is not enough . I know, I;ve been there, and had to do that.  .and you will just not be able to do the exercises or get the rest you need on those two useless painkillers.  Try going to you GP and  exlaining the situation to hi. It should certainly not be up to a nurse to take decisions like that. You need something like tramadol, or zaldiar (mixture of tramadol and paracetamol. ) I really wish you luck I had to fight tooth and nail to get more than paracetamol after day three, and the first few weeks were wasted from the point of view of exercise because the pain was in control of me instead of the other way around. 

• Posted

TAKE THE FREAKING MEDS!!!  Most of us are on the opioids for between 30-60 days and then titrate down to the lighter pain-killers.  You are still very, very early in your recovery and the meds are absolutely necessary at this point.  PS: You can't get addicted to them in such a short period of time...no worries.

Here's some sleep help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

• Posted

The nurse wouldn't prescribe and she asked the doctor who said paracetamol and ibuprofen combined. I noted how most of the discussions mentioned different/stronger drugs and I was like wow maybe I should go back for more and not put up with this. I will phone first thing Monday.

Many thanks

• Posted

Now you'll enter opioid territory.  No problem...you can't get addicted in the short time you need them.  Two types:

Hydrocodone-based: Vicodin and Norco are the most common and are combined with acetaminophen. 5/325 is a dose of 5mg hydrocodone and 325 mg "Tylenol".  Dosages can go way higher like 10/500 every 4 hours.  That will knock you out.  Hydrocodone is based on the codeine molecule.  It also has good cough suppressant effects but is more constipating than other opioids.

Oxycodone-based: Percocet.  Same dosages; same pain relief effects without the cough suppressant and constipation.  Yes, some people do get constipated on this one too but NIH studies show a much lower incidence of the side effect than with the Hydrocodone.  This was always my opioid of choice after an operation.  Actually, my #1 choice was Dilaudid (synthetic morphine) but docs rarely use it due to respiratory suppressant dangers.  However, it is my go-to drug when I have a kidney stone (four already)...2mg, IV push, STAT!!!  The level of pain is very similar; however, the knee pain just goes on and on for weeks, hence the name of my big post...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

These are the drugs that really, really help in the first 30-60 days, especially at night and/or before PT sessions.  They are VERY COMMON for TKR patients post-op.  After the major pain is gone, you titrate down (half-doses, same schedule) to the minor pain killers which are typically used a few months longer.

Everyone's different so you CANNOT compare yourself to ANYONE ELSE!!!  ...but I was pretty typical in kicking the opioids inside of 60 days and all pain killers by 4-5 months.

You will hear this from others:  This is NOT a test of endurance!  Use the damn drugs when you need them, however, you must be aware of how to control the pain.  Taking them after you're writhing on the floor is too late...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/staying-ahead-of-the-pain-563395

I'm no doc but I was married to a pharmacist for 25 years and now a nurse with 30 years of experience for the last eight.  Trust me...this is important information to have.  Manage your pain correctly with the right meds, positive attitude and respect for the power of the chemistry and you will be far better off and a lot more stable.

Trust us...we've all been through this.  I'm almost a year post-op and can look back on all the stupid things I did or assumed or expected.  Learn from the forum and the people here...make your life better.

This takes another type of PTSD: patience, time, strength and determination.  We did it (or are still doing it)...so can you.

• Posted

Yes Michelle, don't be browbeaten . . insist and if they continue to refuse to prescribe them I should threaten them with legal action!

• Posted

I second Martin and Chico's posts. Frankly I was a little shocked. At 3 weeks for me I was in severe pain. In fact I pretty much was a zombie until close to 6 weeks. I am 10 weeks post op and I still wake up for pain meds but at least I am getting about 4 hours of sleep at a time. It does get better but I cannot even imagine what you are saying if I felt like dying even with my narcotics.

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

?I had a partial knee replacement, right knee. I also have a heart arrythmia requiring some 'dirty' drugs and so I was very limited as to what pain relief I could take. Liquid morphine and Tramadol just didn't do it. In the end I took  my regular pain relief - known here in UK - as CoCodomol 30/500. This is available only on prescription but it really worked. Thank goodness as it is the only thing I can take. And I took it exactly as it says in the packet. No, I wasn't stoned outta my mind, no I didn't end up a CoCodomol junkie either.

?I came off it no problem when I was able to. About 6 weeks from memory.

Pain relief/ pain control is a 'dark art' AND YOU MUST take it exactly as it says in the packet - there are no short cuts.... trust me. You won't get addicted - unless you have an addiction beforehand !

John

• Posted

Hi Michelle. I'm 5 weeks post. Only on paracetamol and ibuprofen and sometimes oxynorm before exercises. I have been taking homeopathic stuff as recommended by homeopathic friend, which I really think has helped the healing, even though struggling with bend. Try taking magnesium before bed. I take a powder form which is quite strong. It is also a muscle relaxant. I sleep pretty well most nights (crap sleeper before so not a lot worse!) Horrible when you dread the nights. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you Serena, my mum uses magnesium and will be dropping me off some tomorrow.

Many thanks again

Michelle

• Posted

That's good. I use the natural marine based powder form (you only take bout 1/4 TSP) also helps alleviate constipation from some of the meds!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.