Panicking about my hospital test

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I am due to have an ECG exercise stress test this morning, and I am panicking and really dont want to go. I dont have to have aheart problem, its just too much to cope with as well as everything else. I was pretty sure I just had a chest infection, but I did get some back pain and felt a bit winded yesterday when cleaning and hoovering.  I dont even know whats normal enymore or not. I just know that I couldnt really cope with bad news. I'd end up paranoid about doing any exercise or aerobic activity or doing anything which might stress me.  

I know I'm being stupid. My aunt have had angina for nearly forty years and is 91, so I know people can be Ok with it.  I'm just am active sort of person, and I dont want that to have to stop.

I know this isnt directly menopause related, but I have had quite a few health checks in the last year or so, after the menopause set in and I'm fed up with my dr sending me for them!

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

ursula, I was scheduled an ecg stress test as well sometime back, with your exact symptoms, and I bailed out of it because I knew it was due to being perimenopause.

So hon, you can call and cancel if you don't feel like it. You have the power to say NO. Hope you make the right decison.

• Posted

Also, it gave me too much stress! There was no way I could do it with the level of stress I was under.
  • Posted

Good luck. Keep your chin up you will be fine

Better getting it checked sooner that later. My sister just had one

So good luck check in when u get back 💐

• Posted

Hi Ursulauc, I've had a stress test not too long ago which involved walking/running slowly on a treadmill to see how your heart responds - everything was fine. All the doctors send you for tests to cover themselves and eliminate anything serious. I like you have had lots of tests, mainly down to my fears. I think it's all part of the horrible menopause, please try not to worry - you will be fine. Your hormones are making you feel like this, you will feel better at some stage, try to take it one day at a time. I wish you well and hope my message helps x
    • Posted

Thanks everyone for youre kind support.  Im not sure now whether to have it or not. I think the Dr asks you first about youre symptoms before they do the test, so I will say how worried I am.  My Dr said she thought it would be fine, but just eliminating things.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• Posted

Dear ursula,

I know how you feel, im in menopause and that is bad enough, i have to go to the hospital with my son to the cardiologist, he is 21 with svt but they were talking abt possible pacemaker because they recorded a slow heart rate too (the electrical thing in his heart isn't as it should be) I know it isnt me with the problem but i just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I really dont like the idea of him having a pacemaker at 21 but it isnt for me to say. Nowadays they can do alot with the advancement of medical science but of course it doesnt stop us worrying one way or another. I hope all goes well for you x

• Posted

I'm always stressed before I take any kind of test or waiting for results. If you are not comfortable, you can reschedule until you feel better about it. I have a docs appointment today and I'm anxious just for a regular doc visit. So I totally understand. I'm cetrain you will be fine either way. If you feel better toward your appointment time, then go and get it over with and if you don't thats fine too. You are human and it's all about your comfort level.
    • Posted

Thanks again jamie and everyone else who replied. I had had the test and they said all is fine. In fact Im actually pretty fit. Certainly no heart issues. My blood pressure was a bit raised but that might have been because I was stresses about the test.  I feel very reassured, but a bit stupid about going to the doctor about it in the first place, - I felt more than normally breathless and tight in the throat and chest and some back pain after a few minutes on my exercise bike, so I called the dr the next day. I thought I might have anemia again as I've had it quite badly in the past. I didnt expect to be for the stress test - but there you go - good to have thinsg ruled out.

Im really sorry about your'e son pinkcatfairy, I really hope things go alright for him. My son who is 18 has had problems with being sick nearly every night and is on very high doses of antacids and a restricted diet. He is having more tests done. He isnt losing weight, so they dont think its anything really nasty, but its upsetting for him, and interfering with his A level work.

• Posted

Wonderful that your test came out great. I am anemic from all the blood loss over the last two years with my cycles that I thought was normal. I am starting on iron tablets today and hope that after a few weeks of it being in my system will help. My blood count was low but not enough where anyone was extremely concerned. I am at the docs office now a little anxious but I will get through it. Hope you have a great feeling day...Take care!!
    • Posted

I am extremely stressed before I go to the dr, and testing is even worse, I have repeatedly resceduled things because I cannot deal with the anxiety of fear of bad results. I dont know how to deal witth this issue
    • Posted

I know what you mean I have been in menopause for the past two and a half years I get to heart palpitation the fluttering stomach the jitters you name it it happens and then xiety oh my lord is through the roof I also have what they call sad syndrome when the Sun isn't out I get very depressed also I have white coat freight when I see a doctor my blood pressure goes through the roof so you're not alone with this I think God for this forum without you ladies I think I'd be in the insane asylum good luck to you all
    • Posted

That's the issue I can't deal with either. I hate it. As much as I used to run to the ER, I had gotten to the point that I ask them to take me off the monitor. It scares me when it doesn't measure right or keeps going off and then I'm ready to run like heck. Makes my anxiety even worse.
    • Posted

We have the same things going on and you are absolutely right I thank goodness for this forum and being able to ask questions and vent with ladies who really do GET IT!! I was tired of being made to feel like I was crazy and it's all in my head.
    • Posted

Jamie, I went to the E.R this past summer, my blood pressure was high mainly because of my anxietty of being in there and my fears of horrible news, they did a few tests they said one of my blood tests came back irregular/abnormal that made me even worse, they wanted to do a Cat scan for a blood clot, I did not have any other symptoms. I ended up not letting them do it because my gut said it was my varicose veins acting up and I was correct, but I realized that the reason I did not get the test was my overwhelming fear of hearing bad news. I was never like this before, I was never worried and full of anxiety about everything related to health. I hate this because as we get older there are issues we need to be tested for and have to check and yet I am scared, As I said here bfore I spoke with my mom about this and she said she does not get any testing at all, if she has pain or a problem she goes to an herbal remendy from her herb book and thats it, she said her anxiety is too great and she is 74.  
    • Posted

Happy it came out ok, I had one about 6 years ago and it was fine too, with my sore knees I dont know if I could run on the treadmill, but before I fell I did a lot of treadmill. Anyway, glad its all good, but I definetely feel the issue of stress/.
    • Posted

My mom is the same way. She will just go and lye down. She will only go to a doc when there is something that she just can't take anymore. The last few times I went to the ER for the dizziness and weird head, my pressure was up because I was nervous and they said I was a little dehydrated. Gave me some fluid and told me to follow up with my doc. The time before that, they said my blood work was fine and whatever I had going on was coming from my menses and to see a pysh for anxiety that was common in women in my age.
    • Posted

Thanks Lennie.  Yes, the anxiety before tests is awful, and I am lucky so far to have only have good results. The pain in my back I now put down to stress and IBS. I have had IBS for alot of years, usually in my abdomen, but it can be in my back.  I had a few ranitidine tablets today - zantac - and is has felt better.

The next thing I have coming up is probably having a polyp in my cervix removed. I had one removed on the outside of it before Christmas, and they will probably do the other one. Hope this is fairly straightforward - and benign - it should be unless Im very unlucky!

• Posted

Thats how my mother is too, it has to be really, really bad. I found out today that my former boss has stage 4 lung cancer, she went in because she was feeling like crap and they did XRAYS ect and they found out,she did have breast cancer several years ago so perhaps it came back to the lungs. Its sad, but I told my friend who told me this is why I hate any testing because I fear that type of result. However, she is getting treatment and hopefully she will rebound from this. But, I almost wish I had not found out about her because it reinforces my fear now. 
    • Posted

That's great your test showed you're pretty fit and good you got pass the stress to take it. Maybe you over did it on bike. I know that when I'm told i'm fit I do more than I should, thinking it will be alright. Not in this phase of life.smile
    • Posted

Thanks. I know what you mean about overdoing it.  It was the first proper exercise I had done after Christmas and New Year, so I probably should have started off a bit more steadily and worked up my stamina!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.