Partial knee replacement pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

It's been 8wks since my partial knee replacement, the pain is still sometimes unbearable!! I have been up and down stairs and driving for about 3weeks, so I'm thinking that maybe I'm doing too much too fast!! Is it normal to still be in so much pain. The swelling I know is normal for awhile, but I thought the pain wild have not been so bad after 8wks. When will the pain stop????? And I have to do my left knee when the right one heals!!

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Maleka,  not sure how different a partial and total knee replacement are, but you are doing way more than me at 8 weeks.  I had a total knee replacement and was still on pain meds on regular basis at 8 weeks.  I say if you are at a level of pain that is unbearable, then you should change what you are doing.  This is not a race....healing is a process, and everyone heals at a different rate.

pam

• Posted

Yes that is so true.. I guess I thought I was not healing fast enough. But I have slowed down, n just making sure I'm exercising my knee so it doesn't get stiff..

• Posted

I agree with Pam.  Everyone is different, and your body knows best what's good for you.  It's telling you that you're doing something wrong.  You're driving, which I assume means you're off pain meds, at least during the day.  Have you stopped taking them too soon?  I see pain meds as providing relief from pain, but more importantly reducing our pain so that we can do our exercises. Also, are you still doing physical therapy?  If so, what do the PT folks say?  Better to actively investigate this than to think it will just go away.

Good luck!

• Posted

My Dr stopped the PT because I was in so much pain.. They said I was doing great, just too much on the knee. And I was trying to heal myself faster than my body would heal.. So I'm not on on any RX meds just OTC meds.. And thank you!!

• Posted

I had the same thing happen. I went to my Primary Care doctor after a brutal PT session. He came in the room and found me laying on the table crying and sobbing from the pain and I think depression. He said no more PT and don't bear any weight on the leg. I had hydrocodone at that point which helped. But I didn't bear weight on the leg for quite awhile. Used my crutches. And it definitely helped with the pain. The stress of the whole ordeal was just too much for me. I lost so much weight. Was down to 105 pounds and I'm 5'7"! I'm like a skeleton at this point. Not feeling healthy mentally or physically. Ugh! I just want my life back the way it was. This has been such a nightmare for me. It's as bad as when I had a lobectomy for lung cancer.

• Posted

Why aren't they giving you stronger pain medication? You're suffering in pain. They should give you something stronger so you can manage it better. Have you called the doctor and asked for medication? You should. It will help. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Maleka

I had a partial May 19, 2016. I went back to work at 4 weeks. Once back to work the pain and swelling got worse. As soon as I got home I elevated and iced all the time, including sleeping with the ice pack on. I was very discouraged that I went from doing fairly well to all the pain and swelling again. That lasted for a good 4 or 5 weeks. I am 14 weeks today and have to say I really have forgotton I had it done. I am moving around so good and I am just so darn happy with my new knee. I feel as though  I have a new whole leg as well becuase it was so bowed inward.

Once I went back to work I only took Ibuporfen (400-800mg). Occassionally I would take the stronger pain meds on the weekend.

Hope this helps. Hang in there and ice and elevate and rest when you can.

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie, thank you. I can't wait until I get there.. I did the same,walking around and moving too much, thinking I was good and all of a sudden the pain was bad again and so was the swelling!! I'm glad to hear that I can't wait.. Then maybe that's when I will go do the other one.. But I hear more good things than bad about knee replacements, so I'm gonna take everyone's advice, it really helps!!! Thank you

• Posted

Wow! You are an inspiration. You really pushed yourself going back to work so quickly. It must have been awful going through that pain everyday at work. But it's good to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel hearing you say it's worth it. I'm glad your recovery was so fast. That's awesome.

• Posted

Hi Renee

Yes well my Doctor said be off work for 3-4 weeks so I just went with his recommendation .

I also had to go to a convention at 5 weeks which was bad idea. Between the flying to all the walking at convention I was a mess by Time got home . Anyway I persevered through and really really spent all time not at work elevating and iceing. I would say that I felt I turned a big corner at 8 weeks . It's tough surgery ! I've been wslking a lot lately ( family member just had open heart surgery ) in a hospital , ramp , etc long distances and knee not feeling so good . Tells me I'm still not fully recovered . Tonight I'm iceing . Feels great .

Xo

Debbie

• Posted

Yes, I tell you it's like we never understand how much we need our knees until something like this happens. I love my ice machine more than anything, lol!! But when we have things we have to do, it's hard to sit still. I have 4 more wks out of work so I'm gonna use that time to heal.. Thank god for ice!!!!!

• Posted

I'm 6 weeks after removal of torn meniscus and yes the pain is still unbearable for me. My primary doctor has me still using crutches with minimal weight bearing. I thought I was doing good at first too but I think I was doing too much like you. Go back to square one. Resting on couch. Ice ice ice! Use your crutches and give the knee a break. It's boring and depressing I know but some of us have to take it slow! If you're lucky enough to have opiodes take them. Otherwise ibuprofen. I think it will get better. Our knees have been through a trauma and need time to heal. When I cry and can't handle the pain I take my Xanax too.

• Posted

Okay, yes my Dr even stopped my therapy because they said I was doing too much too soon. I was trying to heal myself faster than my body can heal itself. So I use my cane, esp walking down stairs, and long distances.. And I have gone back to square one not walking much and ice. I guess I just need to sit down and relax!! But the pain kills me, I will try the ibuprofen, thank you!!
    • Posted

Lol our bodies know best! I tried walking around without crutches today and am now paying the price. My doctor made me stop PT too. But I still do the range of motion exercises. The ice really helps. I haven't had any appetite since I injured my knee in June and now weigh 105 pounds! I'm 5'7". It just been a nightmare. I try to limit going up and down the stairs. Showered are bad because I have to bear weight on my leg. Gotta shave! And I usually have a pain meltdown afterwards. I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling. I thought mine would be a simple recovery but it has ruinedy whole summer. I hope you feel better.

• Posted

Omg, I thought I was the only one, I actually thought I was being a big baby, lol. I know what you mean about the showers, and just trying to stand on the leg to put clothes on is a hassle too. But I do move it around so I don't get stiff and my knee locks, I do my own therapy, I tried walking around Publix a couple wks ago, and thank god I was pushing a basket because my knee gave out on me and I had to hold myself of using the basket, I thought I was gone. So now, any long walking I take my cane and once I'm up stairs I don't go down unless I have to.. But I see I'm not alone, which makes me feel better, that's y I was pushing myself because I thought I was not doing good or be where I'm supposed to be at this point!!

• Posted

Maleka,  your knee feels like it is giving out due to muscle weakness.  Wow I do remember that stage.  Now my muscles just get sore....still healing.  Be careful...do not fall.  I used a no skid mat and a plastic chair in the shower to help ease the pressure.  Before I figure using the lawn chair out...I sat on the side of the tub to shave my legs.  There is a lot to be said for pushing yourself....just listen to your body....try not to overdo.  Sounds like you are doing good at 8 weeks...keep it up.😀

• Posted

I know what you mean about the knee giving out. I had it happen today. I know it's because the muscles have atrophied at this point. My poor leg looks like a pencil! It's so thin and weak. I wish I could speed this process up but as I'm writing this my knee is hurting and I took too many pain pills and threw up. I just wish I could be normal again. But when I try to do everyday things like going up and down the stairs or changing the bed and doing laundry I end up in excruciating pain afterwards. I hate living like this. I'm afraid I'm gonna fall down the stairs. My leg wants to give out when I go up and down normally. It's just a nightmare. I hope you're doing okay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.