Partial knee replacement pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

It's been 8wks since my partial knee replacement, the pain is still sometimes unbearable!! I have been up and down stairs and driving for about 3weeks, so I'm thinking that maybe I'm doing too much too fast!! Is it normal to still be in so much pain. The swelling I know is normal for awhile, but I thought the pain wild have not been so bad after 8wks. When will the pain stop????? And I have to do my left knee when the right one heals!!

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You can try some pain cream as we'll-ask your surgeon for prescription.

• Posted

People usually drop or reduce their pain meds anywhere in the 30-90 day range...you are still in the potential I-can't-stand-the-pain zone.  Ask your doc for an RX for Zoltaren Gel...best topical anti-inflammatory pain reliever out there.  And...don't be disheartened...it does get better...  Just don't let the pain stop you from doing PT to break down the scar tissue.

• Posted

Thank you, I will ask him for that!! I'm trying, I have to go back in a couple months or when I'm ready, to do the other one!! Was discouraged a lil bit but I'm getting there!! Thank you again!!

• Posted

How are you supposed to exercise when you're in so much pain you're crying? I really want to know. If you can't walk or even sit comfortably or can't eat or sleep from pain then what do you do? I weigh 105 and I'm 5'7"! I'm like a skeleton because I've been overwhelmed with pain stress and depression from this whole process. It's just a nightmare with no end in sight. I really can't take much more of this. And I had a lung removed from cancer and have birth twice with no drugs! This is the worst ever.

• Posted

Maleka- 

I am 7 weeks TKR and still take my meds. I think you are moving too fast. Slow down if possible. I have my wife drive when we need to run errands and can bend my leg 130. I still have lots of pain mostly in the back of my knee. I am still going to PT twice a week and go to the gym about 3 times a week. I don't baby myself  nor do I over do it. Try to find the middle. 

Tahke care.

• Posted

Yes, I'm trying. I only drive when I don't have a choice. But I am trying to slow down.. I actually was doing real good then I fell last night after tripping over something, so now I'm swollen again. Been thinking if I should have went to the ER, I fell where I was cut at.. So I guess I will see. But thanks for the words. Thank you very much.

• Posted

Omg! I think you need to go to the ER. What happened? You tripped and landed on the knee? How awful. After everything you've been through and now this. Please get help. And keep me posted. Sending prayers for you. Get some help honey.

• Posted

Hi Maleka,

Sorry to say this - yes - you are doing far too much. Far too fast !

Goodness - you've been butchered, so why do you think you can do 'Strictly come Dancing' already. My partial (right knee medial compartment) was done on 6 Nov 2015.Followed the medical/clinical advice I was given - stay on two crutches for 8 weeks, keep up pain relief all the time doing exercises, exercise as directed by PT team, rest, elevate and ice and slowly, gently, increasing walking exercise over the weeks.

My first appointment with my Consultant was on 29 Dec 2015 when I came off crutches and drove my car again and was back at work 3 weeks later driving buses. For those 8 weeks I simply dedicated every waking hour to exercises, pain relief, increasing walking distances on crutches, resting and icing and elevating. Job done.

No problems at all - still no problems.

Good luck.

John

• Posted

Oh wow. Yes now I'm paying for it, because I did too much too early. So now I'm just doing why I was supposed to in the first place. I'm getting better, but I fell last night n landed on my right knee which is the one I had the surgery on, so now I'm swelling back up again. I'm waiting to see if I can get the swelling down, or call my Dr to see if I hurt something. It's a process, but I'm trying.. Thank you for the words though!!

• Posted

It sounds like you are doing too much!   If rest and ice and exercises do not help you should see your doctor. 
    • Posted

Ok, I will. I'm trying to rest more and just exercise that leg.. It's hard but I'm not doing as much as I was..

• Posted

It seems like the doctors just push you off to PT after the surgery and move on to the next patient! At least in my case. I was calling everyday and I couldn't get past the secretary. They would say they will send the doctor a message blah blah blah. I had to call the after hours number to get the PA to call me. That happened about 4 times when I needed pain meds. Then they wouldn't prescribe any more. So I had to go to my Primary Care physician for help. And he was frustrated that the surgeon wasn't taking care of me properly and I was in a lot of pain. But not being an expert in knees he wasn't sure what to do with me. So he did get me in to see a different Orthopaedic doctor for a second opinion. But I'm basically on my own at this point. Kinda fed up with the whole way these doctors operate. I think the whole knee replacement surgery is a huge money maker for the surgeons. It's like we're part of an assembly line! Just venting at this point. Hope you are doing well.

• Posted

I think you've hit on a big issue that must be brought to light got those who are going to have the procedure. Talk to your surgeon about post-op care by his or her office.

My situation is similar to yours. Post-op, my surgeon was more interested in showing me an X ray and gloating about how perfect it looked. No interest at all in my pain, which is consistent with his approach to paying care. There is no after-hours of weekend number to call. There is no way to call or otherwise talk with him directly. His patient care coordinator never answers her phone, do I always have to leave a message, and there policy is to respond to all calls within 24-48 hours. There is no email or on-line messaging option. There is no continuity of card between my primary care doc and the surgeon, despite their being in the same hospital group. I would never use them again.

Carefully consider the post-op care they provide. As you can tell from the messages here, the outcomes vary wildly, and you need to feel that you can depend on your surgeon to deal with any anomalies.

• Posted

OMG! My surgeon did the same thing. Gloating over my knee. "That's a great looking knee." I couldn't believe it because my knee was the size of a baseball and I was crying from the pain and that's what he says? Are you kidding me? I guess I didn't know what to expect. The aftercare is definitely lacking. A few weeks after that episode I went back and he gave me a cortisone shot which made it worse. That's why I've basically given up on help from the medical community at this point. They just want you to go away. I'm really concerned something's wrong since it's been 8 weeks and I'm still miserable. Thank you for addressing my concerns. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels like I'm alone in this battle.

• Posted

I can't believe you have no way at all to get a hold of your doctor after hours either. That's horrible. But as long as they're happy smiling all the way to the bank while you're suffering in pain. I'm beginning to think this knee thing is a big money making racket for these guys. They have no sympathy at all for their patients. My doctor even asked "Is this a drug problem?" When I asked for pain meds. Are you kidding me? I hate the drugs but I hate the pain even more! What are they thinking? I lost about 10 pounds since this started because I can't eat when I'm in pain and crying and stressed. And I only weighed 111 to begin with and I'm tall. So I'm sure that fact alone has slowed my healing process. He never even addressed my weight loss and the fact I look like a walking skeleton. I pity anyone who has to go through this. I feel so alone. My family hasn't even come to visit me! Well my twin brother did. And he was there for me when I had lung cancer and had a lung removed and was stuck in the hospital from Thanksgiving to New Years. My doctor was awesome in that case. Making sure I was comfortable and had pain meds every 2 hours. But I digress!

• Posted

I said the same thing, after 4 wks I walked in the office on my Walker and my Dr asked, are you still using that?? I'm like wth do u mean???? Right then I said they don't understand, because by the book, u should be here or there!! But no one is the same in the way we heal.. I asked for pain meds n he told me I didn't need them!! So I just been taking OTC meds.. Idk but I felt alone also, and to see soo many ppl going thru the same thing is good for me.. But I will b calling him because of my fall.. They have to do something or I will go to the ER to get something for pain.. I'm like u, I hate the meds but I hate the pain more than anything, but they just don't understand that..

• Posted

How is your flexion going? Are you having PT, too?

You and I had the procedure about the same time, and I'm at 114/-2 and am

able walk without a cane. While I am weaning myself from Vicodin, I would be furious if my surgeon cut me off. I think pain is the biggest deterrent to progress. It helps me to keep exercising and stretching and pushing myself. If I felt pain all the time, I wouldn't be where I am.

To cut you off without discussion is arrogant and irresponsible. Do you have a primary care doc to go to? If not, I'd ask to see a different surgeon. You deserve better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.