Peri menopause is taking my life away

Posted , 18 users are following.

So im 45 started with itchy skin achy joints about 18 months ago, mentioned to the nurse during a routine smear she said i was probably starting peri? Went to see the doctor oct 2019 because my migraines were so bad i struggled to function, had an mri was fine had bloods all fine. Since january things have continued to get worse, aching joints, migraines, sore breasts/nipples total exhaustion that floors me for days (i physically struggle to get out of bed) ibs litrally running to the loo 3/4 times in a row, jelly legs, feeling of doom, health anxiety, panic attacts, cold hands, racing heart, the latest bloating & pain very low down maybe bladder area? I actually cant do up my jeans, had an internal exam & bloods for ovarian cancer which where fine. Periods are now 22 days apart sometimes light sometimes heavy? But every day for the last 8 months seems like a bad day i wish to wake feeling well but never do, if i do feel almost normal it wont last all day. please tell me im not alone i actually feel like i am dying can every day really be this bad

6 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi ,,, this could be me writing your post !!!! i never feel well either its sooo hard every day , my body aches so bad hips back legs etc , im hot itchy ,,, bloated , headaches all the time , anxiety etc etc ... 3 years now still have menses though skip some months now ,,, am 53 and its hell .... you are not alone xxxx

• Posted

hi Karen, how r your migraines im going through this since last year. did your symptoms gone or still hanging.

• Edited

My cholesterol have gone up too. Doctor have given me statin 10mg, debating if i should take it or just exercise and cut all fat foods and sugar from my diet, buy my doctors say this cholesterol can cause more problems with my high blood pressure. Not sure what to do just yet, as im on bp meds atm.

• Posted

I am on blood pressure med as well. My GP doesn't feel that I should take a med for cholesterol yet after checking my 10 year cardiac risk. My cardiologist feels like I should be on a statin. From my standpoint, I don't feel like I want to add in another med that can have side effects that could potentially make my peri symptoms worse. I have so many issues with my stomach now that if the statin makes it worse, I don't know what I will do.

• Edited

I've been through all of this. Have had many days when I was sure I was dying. It does eventually get better, I promise. I still have scary days, with the symptoms you describe, but they are coming much less frequently. It's all very scary! So thankful for the ladies on this forum. It will get better, I promise. But it sure is distressing.

• Edited

im having an awful day today started last night about 7 nervous tummy running to loo total exhaustion crying doom whole body was aching with flu like feeling, i went boiling hot then freezing cold. stayed in bed today just feel awful my health anxiety is now on over drive how can this make us feel so so poorly i physically can hardly get out of bed

• Edited

You are not alone, im feeling down today. Bad anxiety, feel like crying, loss of appetite, upset stomach, Headaches, just a doom and gloom feeling and lack of energy. I ask myself why oh why do we feel this way.

Just hold on tight dear, we will get better. Keep posting how u feel on here. We are all in this together , it helps to vent our feelings. Xx.

• Edited

The comfort i get from these replies is giving me hope, i always feel better after a day or two but never back to 100% its just exhausting. I really need to eat but i dont even have the energy too, i think ive probably lost a bit of weight which is now worrying me its a vicious circle of dread. Do you ever feel back to normal or do you always feel ill every day? xx

• Edited

Some days i feel well and dont have symptoms, but this past few months since corona virus its triggered my anxiety levels, plus i live on my own as my kids have all left home. Today i visited a doctor, i explained my situation and she prescribed omeprazole 20mg and also some allergy tablets to take at night. She says its the anxiety that is giving me upset stomach and loss of appetite, plus my hormones are depleted hence i get these doom and gloom symptoms. Her advise to me is exercise more and try to keep busy to help with the anxiety. I have two dogs so im trying to take them out more often.

Do you get any fears with the anxiety?

• Edited

its health anxiety like ive got some terminal illness & its not peri at all, even though ive had bloods done three times & they were fine. i am married with three children age 10-18 who i pretty much do everything for so this increases my anxiety if something happens to me. my docs said its the anxiety too with the tummy issues your stomach is so sensitive, im trying to exercise more too but isnt it hard when you have no energy x

• Edited

I have the same issues, thinking ive got a serious illness, ive seen so many different doctors but always fear they are not picking up on my real symptoms, the anxiety is so bad, it gets worse in the evening as i fear something will happen to me at night. Although this past few days i feel a bit better.

when im anxious it raises my blood pressure and i panic.

Ive lost weight too as im not eating like I used to. Whenever i eat i feel bloated with tummy spasm and aches.

And this weight loss also causes more anxiety as now i fear i have a serious illness which is making me lose weight. Honestly this perimenopause is something else. Scary.

• Edited

I've been doing so much better, but the last few days have been awful. I've been getting up, feeling just Ok, then getting sicker and sicker as the day goes on. I've shed some tears today too. I hate that people can't rely on me, that I can't keep commitments. I feel your suffering. It's horrible!

• Edited

yes yes yes i feel worse anxiety by evening too! i would love to know if there are any woman who have come out the other side if this because youre right its so scary

• Edited

oh no i feel your pain too, ive cried lots today, ive not been commiting to anything coming up in the near future because of this & also dont seem to be able to look forward to anything like i used too incase its a day when i get up & feel ill. i hope we can all come out the other side soon, i just long for the better days

• Edited

It's hard to remember a time when you didn't feel this way, isn't it? I certainly don't take the good days for granted!

• Edited

I have a friend who is 57 and is post meno, she is symptom free now after suffering many years with her perimenopause and menopause. Its been three years since she hasnt experience any symptoms and has got her life back as she use to be. She can certainly relate to what im going through. She suffered really bad plus she is asthmatic too.

• Edited

thats amazing to know that someone has made it through, i will cling onto that when i am having bad days thank you so much x

• Edited

It is good to hear that someone made it through peri! It gives me hope. This has been such a horrible experience and it makes me feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you.

• Posted

hi cindy, after how long your symptoms have improved, mine migraines r still there since last year im41.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.