Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been following this topic for the last 8 months.  My name is Sherry and last May 2015 I woke up had such a hard time getting out of bed could hardly walk.  We just started our vacation I blamed my pain because of the bleach.  3 years before I stopped cleaning with chemicals.  I could barely clean anymore my body would hurt so bad after cleaning the shower.  Once I started to clean green I was not 100% but 80 % better.  My fibromyalgia seemed to have gone away pretty much.  The 4th day of our vacation, getting out of bed was getting worse by the day.  I asked my husband what he smelled in the sheets he said bleach.  I figured once I got home and got this out of my system I would get better.  To my surprise I just got worse.  I went to my natural path doctor told her how I was feeling.  She ran blood work 2 weeks later I went back to see what she found.  I had blood work done just 4 months before for my routine check up.  She looked at my estrogen level and compared it to the one I had done earlier.  My first blood work showed my estrogen was still high at 58 no signs of pre menopause.  I was still like clockwork.  No hot flashes.  I remember laughing at her asking since I was 52 when will my change happen.  Then months later when I could hardly walk.  Besides the bleach that I thought was the reason another thing happened to me that month no period. By the time I went to the doctor  then had my blood work done it was now 3 months with out my period.  My estrogen level was not even reading on the second blood work she did.  I had nothing left in my body.  She told me my pain could be because of my sudden lose of estrogen and even though we talked months before about when my change did happen I was not wanting to do Hormone Replacement Therapy.    She explained that Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy might help. I was num as she talked I couldn't believe that this could be why I was unable to walk.  She gave me a phone number to call after I had time to think about it If I decided to start taking it.  I went home and googled menopause joint pain this thread came up. As I read all these stories they sounded like me.  I did start taking a Bioidentical cream.  Would like to say it's help but I am still in a lot of pain.  We have been gradually adjusting it to a little higher level to be on the safer side.  Within my 5th month of not having my period my left shoulder froze up.  I am 53 now I have a bar in my bath tub that I never had before.  I have a cane in my closet that I have never had before and the only thing that keeps me from loosing my mind is reading all these posts.  I am so sorry that you are all going through what I am going through. I do have hope that one day I may not be the same as I was before all this happened but will be better then I have been this last 11 months.  Thank you all for helping me. Sherry
    • Posted

Hi Sherry - so sorry to read how you are suffering. I also suffered with muscle & joint pain, I take Osteocare original by Vitabiotics it has (Calcium-Magnesium-D3 & Zinc) the magnesium is for muscle pain & D3 is for bone pain. I have researched this as I had pain all over especially in my arms & neck & couldn’t bare the pain any longer it was driving me insane! I am so happy this has worked for me, it took a good couple of months to kick in but it really helps me. I do still have pain but nothing like the scale I did before. I also do light stretching before I get out of bed, pulling each leg one at a time up to my chest & then both together! I have started HRT as I suffered from night sweats which has now gone. I do hope you find something that helps, why suffer at this time in your life. Thoughts are with you X
    • Posted

Hello Sherry

Read your post with interest (just back on this site after a long break - house move/life changes just got in the way!).

I am 55, still regular as clockwork, have a few Peri symptoms, but can't ever see the day when I will stop bleeding! 

You have my total sympathy re:  joint pain - absolute nightmare! 

Had used bio ID Progesterone Cream Sept 13-Jan 16. Took a few supplements (Menopace, and some Vit D, Magnesium less frequently).  Once I actually started with the Cream & Menopace, I felt 100% better.  I can only assume that I was absolutely depleted in all the Vits/Mins to benefit that much!

Last yr I had so much stress to deal with that I projected my energies on dealing with our massive life-changing, house/business move. 

It wasn't until Jan '16 that I felt I should go see my new GP (I NEVER go to the Doc, never have. Very much have the 'get on with it'-attitude of my dear ol' mum (RIP x). Shame I seem to have her rotten ol' bones too, no thanks to her 2 post-War bouts of TB in her bones  (she was only 4'10", had 3 hip replacement ops all post-Meno, but had the personality and get-up-and-go of a Giant.  My Funny Little Hero xx)

Told him that I was still bleeding, but controlling most other things with the bios.  I had mainly gone to him because my joint pain/fatigue was getting unbearable again.  Although I ache all day, I am rarely tired during the day, even though some nights I was only getting 5hrs disrupted sleep due to pu to 5 visits to the Bathroom. This has almost stopped, thankfully ).

I said that I was ready to give HRT a go, if it would help support my bones longer term, and help with my joint issues now.  Blood tests showed very low Vit D3 (now on lifetime supplements) and possible aenemia (other tests running)

So, tried Prempak C for 2 gruelling months:  bought ON more Peri symptoms than I had previously experienced: palpatations, occasional chest pain, breast pain, sweats, really bad joint pains/fatigue during days 1-7 (eostrogen only days) + PMT(!!). Worse of all, I bled for 22 and 24 days out of 28 days of each of those mths. Had read that bleeding/spotting was very common for first 3-6mths. I am not a Quitter, but i Could not see the point in taking this stuff if I didn't feel I was benefitting, and I certainly didn't sign up to bleed non-stop!

Now back on my Bioidentical Progesterone Cream, Menopace, prescribed Vit D3, and possibly have to take some Iron (yuk! rotten side effects). 

For someone who could count on both hands the times she'd been to her previous GP in the past 25yrs, I've been back to this new one more than I EVER wanted to! 

Still, the blood tests show no other concerns, so for a self-confessed 55yr old Medicine-phobe, I ain't doing too bad!

BTW, my left shoulder grates terribly, you can hear it at 40ft.  One of my sisters had a repair to her rotator cuff - maybe that's on the cards for me?.  Have a fantastic, massive bath that I dare not get in to for fear of having to winched out!  My knees are creaking and giving me gyp, so kneeling is a pain - thank God for showers!!

I have no idea how I will feel when/if i eventually stop bleeding, as I hate to say it, I sorta felt a bit relieved in the past when I did start bleeding.  I'm just bored with it all now.Thankfully, I don't (yet!) have too many hot flushes/sweats or have the anxieties others mention (like it or not, for me swearing like a trooper on occasion works wonders!!).

I'll mention again the joint pains to my GP because its no joke being 55 and feeling/walking like someone twice my age. 

Like you Sherry, I too hope that I can return to the person I was 5-8yrs ago.  I still have bags of energy, love to decorate/DIY, but the bending/kneeling kills me and I find that the day after I feel like I've been mugged!  

In my head I am still 18, and for me that is very important. As is the love of a very good man (met at 17/18!) who laughs, jokes and behaves like a teenager, as I do frequently. The day we both stop laughing and joking will be a very sad day.

Good Luck Sherry. Lets hope there's someone at least one of us finds that gives some relief, so that we can share with our 'sistas'.

Sx

• Posted

Hi shaznay can you please tell me where to get the Progesterone cream ? I get aching pains in my legs sad do you know whether getting a very dry throat and like breathing feels closed is related to perimenopause? 🤔
    • Posted

Thanks Shaznay,

I know I have bad bones my mom has had hips and knees replaced.  I think that us ladies need to stick together.  Share what is working for us and what may not be working.  I love that you and you man laugh and joke.  It sure does help to have someone that can help lift your spirit.  I am having one of those nights that I woke up at 2 AM  unable to go back to sleep.  So happy that only happens once every few weeks now instead of 2 to 3 times a week.  With the help from this group and good doctors we will see the light in this dark space. 

Sherry

• Posted

I have been experiencing horrible joint pain as well, strange enough when I was explaining all the different symptoms to my mum she said she never knew there were so many symptoms to this and she NEVER go through nothing she was normal all through hers from beginning to end and she's nearly 70...
  • Posted

I am very late to this discussion but wonder if anyone has also had the feeling if getting the flu along with the hot flashes and joint pain? I have general body aches and a sense of being sick with the flu even though I'm not. A good strong hot flash will clear the flu symptoms up! So weird! AND, not to discourage anyone, but I am 61 and went through menopause 9 years ago...still having all these lovely side effects every few months. I have never been on HRT due to the high risk of breast cancer in my family.
    • Posted

Yeah I've felt like I have the flu all through peri.

Pussy now and on HRT it's a lot better than it was.

I didn't get hot flushes just got very hot and once post stayed hot all the time.

• Posted

Following this post. Has anyone gotten relief from their joint pain? 
    • Posted

Some days are better then others. I do take supplements more then I can count. My inflammation reading was very high so eating things that keeps the inflammation from flaring up does help. I have been on thyroid medicine for 6 years. When I started this journey of menopause a year ago my thyroid dropped so low that I had to double my medicine. Adrenals also crashed. So I do take somthing to support my adrenals to. Luckily I have a great natural path that keeps up on things. Love my family doctor but he is clueless when it come to females and our challenges we may have at this crossroad of our life. Keep smiling and know we are given this for a reason. I must think possitive even when it hurts. I would never of met such beautiful souls on this group if it wasn't for waking up one day and feeling as if I aged 30 years over night💕
  • Posted

Hi Leslie, I know this is long after you originally posted, but I came to the Internet to find information regarding joint pain and menopause. The reason I wanted to check is because I have been on Vivelle.and progesterone  for 6 to 7 years, and every time I try to get off of the hormones or lower my dose I feel like I'm 90 years old overnight. It's almost immediate. I have shoulder,  hip, lower back and every ache and pain that you can possibly imagine.  It's Extremely debilitating. I am now 54 and have a mother and sister with breast cancer and I've been worried about prolonged hormone use.  this happens within two days of a missed hormone dose.  This is happened on numerous occasions, and it can't possibly be a coincidence. I read that bio identical hormone's can be useful to treat joint pain, and I did not do well with those. I have been very happy with the Vivelle., and the progesterone. 
  • Posted

So amazing! I am in avid exerciser, tennis player etc. And I went through menopause at 51 and immediately started having horrible joint pain
  • Posted

Hello Lesley

​I have been having terrible joint pains in my shoulder, elbows and kneck and very dry skin on my face and scalp and hot flushes for the past year or 2. I am 51 and did not until now connect them all. I have stopped smoking, drinking (of which I did very little anyway) eating meat and have joined the gym all to no avail. I have just bought some evening primrose, glucosamine & chondroitn and some black cohosh. I'll give it about a month before I try some form of HRT. The useless Doctor and Physiotherapist has not even sugested that it could be my menopause, after giving me blood tests and sugesting invasive cortizone injections, they seem to be at a loss, luckily we have Google on our side enabling us to do our own research.

​A good freind of mine who is a CEO of a medical organisation said it could be my menopause and that there is a new safer form of HRT out there so I will be trying that if this doesnt work.

• Posted

Hi, if you decide to go down the HRT route (I have and so glad I did)be aware doctors will still try and fob you off with the older type horse urine HRT if they can.

Anything that starts with Pre (eg premarin) is made using hormones derived from pregnant mares.

The most natural progesterone is Utrogestan and there are a few patches and a gel that is bioidentical (made from wild yams or soy).

I use oestrogel 2 pumps a day transdermal gel and Utrogestan 200mg for the first 12 days of the month (this results in a bleed of 6 or 7 days).

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.