Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi have you gotten the lower back ache that causes leg aches as well almost like a nerve I think it makes your leg feel a little numb it comes and goes but is annoying as hell
  • Posted

Can anyone please tell me if going to bed at night and waking in the morning with pains in legs (mainly down right hand side) could be perimenopausal? I've had pain in knees and at the back too. I don't know whether this could be down to stress. I am 46 years old and every doc I see says I'm too young for peri?! 🙄
    • Posted

Hi lisa33471, unfortunately your not too young to be peri, I began getting all the symptoms of the menopause when I was 46. It started with bad pains in my right knee which then went to my hip. After a few months the pain went to lots of joints. After ruling things out with blood test Dr told me due to my hormone level being low, my periods being so irrational and the joint pain are due to the menopause. That was three years ago, and

although not every day is terrible, I've not had a pain free day, just some days are better than others. I'm hoping that this pain will pass when I get

through the otherside. I shouldn't grumble really, my friend who is only 39

is already peri 😟

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I can definitely tell you from the 2 years of reading hundreds and hundreds of stories from women on dozens of websites and blogs that you are not too young for Perimenopause. It can start as early as c10 years before Menopause begins. The average age is 51. But that's an average. I had severe pain in my knees and in my back, although that didn't last as long as my knee pain. I still have some discomfit and stiffness, but nothing like 2 years ago. I'm 54 now. For me personally, I think my lower back pain and knee pain had something to do with the condition of my adrenal glands. I was under a lot of stress. If the pain is along the right hand side only of your right leg, I'm not sure. If it was toward the back side, I would think sciatica. Does the pain go away once you get up and walk around? If so, could it be a pulled muscle once you move around and it loosens up? I know that during this time of hormonal changes, muscle, ligaments and tendons can tighten in some women with these hormonal fluctuations. What kind of doctors have you been to? Do you do any yoga or stretching exercises?

• Posted

Hi dawn. That's what I thought. My friend is only 43 but has already been through he menopause! She was in her 30's. I just feel unwell most days like there's always something wrong with me sad what do u do to ease the pain?
    • Posted

Hi marli, it's weird. Sometimes I go to bed and then almost just after lying down the pain comes on. It's like an aching pain. I have had it in both legs but mainly right. I too have been under a lot of stress the last few months, daughter going away to uni, partner moving in 🙈 18 year old son plus work and money worries sad I've had respiratory tests, endoscopy and all seems fine apart from mild gastritis. I know this sounds strange but had ear pain, toothache, neck and shoulder ache too. Although initially treated for infection, my dentist told me she thinks I'm suffering with TMJ (also brought on by stress) I did read that although this relates to the jaw etc. It can affect to the extent of muscle pain. I can just b sitting down and then out the blue notice that I'm tense. I really don't know as I do feel it's probably hormone related. U r absolutely right, exercise is the key which I don't do. I stress too much to take time out sad what did u do for your pain. Thankyou for replying smile
    • Posted

Sorry marli forgot to say, I don't have it during the day much. Seems more when I'm resting rolleyes the knee pain is the worse. Had full blood count done and all was clear
    • Posted

Hi Lisa,

When you say resting, it's worse, are you in bed, on the couch, on the floor, in a chair? I ask because, if it's only the bed, if your mattress in good shape. If it's any of those places, have you been to a chiropractor to rule out any structural issues? Did this pain coincide with any other symptoms that could be related to peri? When I had my back pain, which came months before my knee pain, I would wake up in the morning with it, and it was pretty painful. After a while of walking around it would lessen. But I did a lot of research and since I was under a lot of stress, I read about how the adrenal glands when compromised can cause knee and back pain. Many women don't realize that the health of the adrenals is really important during this phase of our lives. They are important little glands. When you talk about east pain and tooth pain, I do think of TMJ but also allergies that can flare up at this time. Neck and shoulder pain can also appear during this time, as long as you rule out a structural issue through a chiropractor. Because of stress you may hold your tension there. I believe the body talks to us when it's out of balance. Carrying the weight of the world can show you on our shoulders. If you feel overburdened, you could feel like your back could break from ask the weight. Symbolically speaking. But that doesn't rule out getting good hormonal tests and adrenal tests done to measure your cortisol levels throughout the day. Blood tests are just not good enough to measure these accurately. I did a lot of things to get better than where I started from 2 years ago. Some detoxification, adrenal supplements, vitamins, probiotics, Progesterone cream, aqua therapy, epson salt baths, very, very clean diet, more water, Magnesium oil and tablets, meditation, chiropractic, prayer and yoga. This is long, but hopefully full of some info you can use. 😃

• Posted

Hi again,

Forgot to ask, is your pain in the knees muscle, ligament, tendon or joint? Mine was not joint.

• Posted

Hi lisa, I feel the same, generally unwell most days. I find that I'm better physically when I'm working and not contanstly focusing on my pain and tiredness. I seem worse in the evenings when I've sat down, when I get up I can hardly walk and have to hobble around like an old woman. A week ago I started taking Menopace and have surprisingly had a good couple of days. Also, about a month ago I started wearing a magnetic bracelet after reading about the benefits for joint pain. When I'm having a really bad day I tend to just use over the counter pain relief which can sometimes take the edge off a little. I just keep telling myself a day will come when this comes to an end....but 3 years on , I'm getting very impatient!😂😂
    • Posted

Thanks Barbara. I hope it helps anyone who reads it, even if just a little. I noticed that it has typos in it, so I hope that someone has a decoder ring. Lol. It's tough typing on the smartphone keyboard. I'll have to proofread all my responses in the future!
    • Posted

Hi marli, it's been whilst in lying in bed. Had mattress for about 6-7 years, memory foam one. But.. I have had pains during the day on occasion and my knees sad I must admit I do generally feel unfit. I should take time to do some exercise. Life is so busy at the moment 🙀 But I can't remember when I felt good! Even a week after my period feel like I've got period pains 😳 I do stress a lot but still think a lot of this could b hormonal. I do admire you, everything uve done to help yourself. I think about taking supplements but not sure which ones. I've been switching from taking vit D, Eve primrose as suffer breast pain. Vit B12, and osteocare. Then I stop becos in not sure what's helping or not sad all I know is for the last 3 years I've felt an emotional, changed person consumed with ailments 🙀
    • Posted

Hi dawn yes I've heard that menopace are meant to be good smile like u say I just feel rubbish all the time. I have something wrong and go doctors,get it sorted then soon as that's done I get something else 😳 In the last 3 years I've suffered with aches and pains, headaches, feeling tired, sick and acid reflux. I do think I'm to blame a little. I don't really exercise much. I'm always on the go so u don't feel like jumping around in a fitness class, altho I am looking into yoga or Aqua classes. Do u mind me asking how old u are? I smiled when u said how old you felt as I'm like that at times. Get out the chair like a 90 year old lol. The magnetic bracelet sounds good. Do u take anything else to help and has your doctor said u are possibly perimenopausal 🤔 All my doctors won't even consider it as they think I'm too young 🙄 My friend is 3 yrs younger than me and went through it in her 30's!
    • Posted

Hi Lisa and everyone else

I stumbled across this thread tonight. I've been going out of my mind with worry... I have tingling and cramp in my leg for the last few evenings. I also get a bit of tingling in my arms and hands... Weird! I've spent the last few days googling sciatica but don't feel it's that. My muscles in my upper back near the shoulders have been in spasm too. My anxiety is through the roof and I'm driving my husband crazy with my constant worry. 

Im 47 and had a Mirena coil fitted a few months ago. Could this all be down to Menopause? I can't find any other explanation. 

Take care ❤️

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I'm 49 and my Dr has told me I'm peri as I go moths in between periods, this time I've gone 8 months. I'm really hoping I get through the 12 month timescale. I've also fad blood test that came back with a very low hormone level which also indicates meno. I sometimes take over the counter pain relief which does sometimes help when I'm at my wits end with the pain. My Dr has asked how I feel about HRT but I reall want to get through this without that. I'm the same as you, I'm also too tired to be going to the gym or excercise classes and have also looked at doing some yoga or Pilates.......but that's as far as I've got 😀
    • Posted

I know it's not nice but least ur tests have shown it. I had bloods for hormones and came back as normal. My periods have always been a bit irregular but no real change there. I'm sitting here with like period pains, cramps which is weird only 11 days after my period. Frustrating 😔 I then get anxious which just tops the lot off! 🙀 My friend has hrt and swears it's the best thing she ever did. I couldn't take it as mom died of breast cancer when I was only 21. I suffer with breathing at times too. Don't know if u do then when u worry u get anxious which makes it worse! Vicious circle 🙄
    • Posted

Hi Mandy. I totally understand where u r coming from. I have had leg and knee pain on and off last few days altho it's a bit better at the moment. I'm not saying this is the case with u, but myself altho I think a lot of things are hormone/Peri related, I suffer with anxiety and it can bring all sorts of things on. I used to get the tingling all over when I was worrying, vicious circle as u worry about health which makes anxiety worse. The main key here is to really try and relax and distract your mind from worrying about symptoms. I would then go doctor and see if they can do blood tests and check hormone levels. I've been that bad at times I've nearly gone to see somebody to try and deal with my anxieties. I have good days and bad but with a mixture of hormones, anxiety and health issues can be a drain. Try and look after yourself. Eat a healthy diet, lots of water, possibly supplements to help. Menopace is good and see doctor to put your mind at rest. Good luck and take care 😃
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, it is a vicious circle, your right. Anxiety is a terrible thing as it can have such an impact on your body, physically and mentally. When I'm feeling low I try to do something to keep busy ( aches and pains permitting !😀 )

i think it depends on when you have a blood test taken, as to results. If you have it done again it could well come back with low hormone level, it can change depending on where your cycle is when blood is taken. It may be an idea to ask your Dr to repeat them and see if results are different. Are you having lots of peri symptoms ? I have all the classic ones, so even if the results came back as normal I would have known I was heading for the meno. It's not good tho, one minute I'm in a really good mood, the next I'm like a woman possessed !! 😡

• Posted

To be honest dawn I'm not sure what all the Peru symptoms are? All u know is that I've suffered with breathing, throat feels restricted, dry mouth. Aches and pains, headache, feel bit light headed at times. My periods are regular, well at least one every month or two max. Maybe I'm just at the beginning 🤔 But this is bad enough! I can understand your concerns about hrt but if I could I think I would take them. It's not nice feeling rubbish every day. I'd do anything to just feel normal at times 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.