Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, after just reading your message re the menopause I can really relate to it. I last had a period 6 months ago I am 55 years of age. But in the past two months I have been suffering from joint pain. This is affecting my work a great deal as I look after children. As like yours the pain is in my knees and neck, but the most painful area is in my hands. It has really stopped me in my tracks, in doing simple things you do every day. Ie lifting a kettle, pulling on clothes, driving etc. I have been to my GP and have had blood tests and I am being referred to a Rheumatologist especially for my hands. But like you it is on my mind 24/7 and wake up in the morning feeling terrible. I have been taking Ibufen for pain relief which does help but my liver function is a little high so I don't know if the pain killers are affecting that area. I do relay on them to sometimes get me through the day for my work. I try swimming and hot treatment to see what suits me best to relieve it. HRT is my next option, although I have been trying to avoid them. But if this pain continues I will go on them. Hot flushes I can cope with and they seem to be fading out. I have just become a Grand mother and would really like to get back on track and feel myself again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, reading your post I wanted to get in touch and let you know your not alone ! 3 years ago my periods really started to slow down and it was at this time I started to get the most awful joint pain. It started in my right knee then just move on to many of my joints. It really floored me, like you I work with children and need to be physically fit. 3 years on it is slightly better, my legs hurt a lot when I've walked a lot or when I've been sitting down then get up. I do tend to hobble about when my joints are at their worst. I'm only 49 and didn't expect the meno to hit me so hard. I'm still only peri which blood tests have confirmed but I'm hoping it won't drag on for many more years 😟 I always feel so tired which can make life pretty miserable at times, when you haven't got the energy to do the things you want to do. My Dr has asked how I feel about HRT and at the moment I'm attempting to get through it without. But the longer it goes on the more chance I will decide to give it a go. I feel in the past 3 years I've aged about 20 ! I hope your blood test come back ok and the rheumatologist can give you some answers. Take care 🌺
  • Posted

Hello everyone my name is Sharon and I am 53 and my life has completely changed for the worse in the last few months due to joint pain .

I am in menopause because I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and just recently everything seems to be hurting in my body, my left knee particularly . I've injured the meniscus several times and it won't heal because I'm too stubborn and I like to still do my yard work . I too worked with children up until January and now I don't think I could do it even if I did go back to work...

So it seems like everyone is saying that menopause affects arthritis and joints and I had no idea that this was so ...., all I know is that I seem to be getting it everywhere now , not only my knees which is mild to moderate arthritis but my wrist and arms my elbows my neck , and now I'm getting it in my lower back also. When I walk everything clicks and crunches and seems sloppy when I turn over in bed . I feel bones moving out of place like every things become elastic with my muscles and joints and everything seems sloppy now , does anyone else have that too, do you think I should go see about hormone therapy or is it too late since I've been in menopause for a few years now ?

I do have hot flashes still and night sweats but I have not taken anything for it and my doctor hasn't remember recommended that I do either...

Is this normal for a woman my age should I just except it and feel old, walk old and slow or is there anything I can do for this because this really suck..,, I'm getting very depressed about it as I'm very active normally and I'm an avid gardener and I can barely do anything anymore , I can't even hardly dig with a shovel without hurting my knees and I live on a big acreage in Canada ......

My husband scared that I'll be in a wheelchair soon and I am too as that's not what I want for my future ...

Sharon

• Posted

Im Post menopause,2 years or more..I went on fluoxtine for a year it did help..I think im comming out the other end,joints alot better,Not so teary...I feel tho Like Ive had 5 years of hell....I did have to give up Working,Stay strong,Do day by day,hugs sent
    • Posted

Awesome, that's good to hear xx I'm not sure how I will be able to work this fall... I'm very stressed about it 😞
  • Posted

I would like to share with this form what I have been able to do to control my pain in my joints. I found out that I can no longer eat night shade vegetables. Potatoes (exclude sweet potatoes), tomatoes, peppers (green, yellow, red, jalopeno, chili), paprika, and eggplant. I can have black pepper. For a more complete list of night shades do a browser search. After I eliminated these vegetables from my diet my pain in my feet and in my arms has quit. I haven't posted this earlier because of other life changing events that have occur in my family. I hope others of you find this helpful. I have been without pain for a year.

Thank you Lesley for your post.

Suslovescats

• Posted

Sounded like you were writing my story, for the most part.  How are you doing today?  I was hoping to stay away from any hormone replacements but can't take ibuprofin for the next howevern many months/years this continues.  So relieved to see that it is, most likely, menopause causing my 53 year old body to have to act like a 90 year old body.  I'm too young to feel so old.  

• Posted

I know this is a year out but I'm so thankful to read this. I'm 52 and going through very similar aches and pains. It's beyond a normal ache or pain. I feel

like I will be crippled soon from this. I hope this will pass now. Still going through it!

• Posted

Hi, yes I am going through the same thing. Came on so sudden and has stopped me in my tracks. The last 2 days could not go to work unable to to drive due to pain in arms and hands. I take INurofen which helps, but have recent blood tests have shown raised liver function and due a scan at the end of the month. A couple of people on this forum have recommended magnesium which I have recently purchased from holland and barratt. Trial and era at the moment trying different solutions to stop this awful pain. I am 55 and feel 75. Keep going.
    • Posted

I'm using glucosamine. Hoping that's better on my body then constant pain relievers and it seems to be helping like a pain reliever. Aches are still present but not so severe. 

• Posted

Hi there, I unfortunately know exactly what you're going through, I have been having aches and joint pain for 3 years ?? blood tests have shown I'm perimenopausal so these awful symptoms could continue for years, that thought really gets me down. Try not to let it take over your life.

Hugs

Dawn ??

• Posted

I am 47 and the same symptoms have been going on too, except I do get hot flushes and it is miserable. My joints hurt so bad in the hands in the morning that when I go to grab something they literally feel like they are broken because of pain. I have a high pain tolerance but this is bad. I have to keep myself moving all day or other joints of my body hurts. I have become gluten intolerance, have a partial case of lactose intolerance, higher blood pressure ( at least I am under control now). This really makes you feel like you are dying. Sometimes I get really scared.
    • Posted

Hi everyone. I am 46 yrs old and felt awful the last couple of years. I think I'm going through peri but whatever doctor I speak to they all say I'm too young!! I haven't had hot flushes but general overall body pain. Especially in joints. My anxiety levels go through the roof at times for no reason and the last couple of months I've been getting horrible pelvic pain, mainly left hand side about 7-10 days AFTER my period. Does anyone suffer with this? I had a lap about 18 months ago and had bowel adhesions. I just hope this pain isn't due to scarring sad my periods aren't usually that heavy and last only about 3-4 days.

• Posted

Lesley, it's a year later after your post. Did you find relief for your perimenopausal pain? I am 52 and am going through it right now. It started with my feet, and now it's my entire body. The mornings are the worse. Trying to get out of bed is a challenge. I was just curious how you're doing now. Cynthia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.