Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Lesley 998

I decided to Google ankle pain and menopause and found this site, I can honestly say I thought I was reading about my self I was so relieved I wasn't going mad .

I have been suffering with hot flushes since July 2015 , it all started while I was on holiday in Minorca In 30 degree heat,

For the past year I have tried 5 different hrt tablets and non agreed with me . My doctor has decided they are not good for me as cause severe headaches , he prescribed anti- depressants as they are meant to work I took 2 they made me feel very ill so decided not to go down that root.

So I'm the meantime I am suffering big time the menopause takes over your life , just relieved to read that all the symptoms I have you have had as well so I don't feel so alone .

• Posted

It's been so good to read this forum. I don't feel as though I'm such a mad hatter after all. I don't have ankle pain but they always seem to b swollen ?? altho I have pain in legs, arms and most recently like 7 days after period having pelvic pain like I'm going to have another! I get chest pain, shortness of breath and my knees hurt when goin up stairs. Basically I feel like I'm 46 going on 66! So frustrating. There's never a day where I feel normal or well sad

• Posted

Hi Lesley998

I know you posted over a year ago but I read with interest your post.  I feel the same - I turned 50 last November.  I also have pain in upper right back, left rib is swollen at bottom and I also have an enlarged adam's apple - I had a CT scan on my neck last week so just waiting on result of that - to say I'm worried as to what's going on with my body is an understatement.  I also have tinnitus and a kind of slight dizzy feeling sometimes when I move my head.  Not one doc has mentioned that I am in perimenopause - obv I am going by my age.  I've had thyroid tests done, hormone tests done and all is in range.  So fed up with feeling like this :-(  How are you now?  I live in the UK by the way.

Susan

• Posted

I know this was posted over a year ago but clearly lots of us are still having problems. I found a compounding pharmacy and they were able to recommend doctors that do bioidentical hormones. I'm not doing so great with regular HRT. Has anyone gotten better with bioidentical hormones?

Thanks

Julie

• Posted

Hi! I noticed I was getting bumps on my fingers at 50 and investigated and realized it can be post meni can cause that so I went on the lightest hormones to see if it would stop hot flashes and my noduals on my fingers. It did! But about a year into it I noticed joint pain which has gotten so bad that there are days like the last 2 that my knees hurt so bad it makes it hard to walk. Have pain in wrists and shoulders also. I am 53 in Dec and don't think I should hurt this bad, it is very upsetting and makes me scared of how bad I will be in my 60's. Have you learned anything else?

• Posted

Hi there, sorry to hear that you are suffering with these horrid symptoms, I too have the exact same, I've been having the joint pain for over 3 years now due to peri meno. I also noticed I'm starting to get bumps on my finger joints, and the constant hot flushes are a nightmare. I'm really reluctant to go on to HRT, I'm hoping that it won't drag on for years, although I'm aware it can last for 10 years plus....that doesn't bear thinking about as this is really taken its toll on my body. In the past 3 years I feel I've aged at least 10 yrs. I have started taking Menopace recently and I can notice a slight improvement and along with over the counter pain killers I'm trying to stay on top of it. It is hard for us ladies but one day we MUST come out the other side ! ??

• Posted

I am desparate for a solution. I have the same problems. Please PM what you used. I'm in the USA too.

• Posted

Hi there! Any relief yet? I am in USA and I take DIM. Not helping now...need something more...
    • Posted

My continous aches have been reduced to just before and during period (although my periods are very erractic) I have been taking pure flaxseed oil and agnus castra and 5 weeks into it I am feeling benefits. But I now know mine is estrogen dominance after tests so i'Lloyd continue with bio identical progesterone see if it works

• Posted

The joint aches are the worst I get it in my lower back and hips. I used to go to fitness classes 3-4 times a week which is impossible now as I ache after a short walk.

I am going to try some bioidentical hormones as I believe too much oestrogen can cause aches and pains.

• Posted

Lesley

Thank you for your post. I am sorry your enduring so much pain. I Just started getting pains as well. I thought I was loosing my mind cause it came on all of a sudden. I am only 45. Mine started in my hands and feet siffness. Now it is moving to my hips as well. I am not over weight I run off and on. It  is not a muscle soreness either. Thanks to your post I wlll be speaking to my doctor. 

• Posted

Mine started in my feet and hands too. Then it went to my lower back including my feet and hands. Sadly it's from the estrogen loss. It's a stiffness, and the morning is the worst. I feel your pain. I'm 52 and it started about six months ago.

• Posted

Hi everyone I was just wondering whether anyone could advise on how do u know when u are really going through peri. As doctors say I'm too young. I'm 46 and have felt awful of late altho I think this has been going on 18 months or more. I have terrible anxiety to the point I have had to speak to someone professional. I hyperventilate a lot. I have pains in my knees and legs in bed of a night. Having persistent pelvic pain throughout the month but settles after my period which are still fairly regular I have to say. I am a bit of a worrier but I am never like this usually and don't know whether there is a possibility that peri is contributing to this. My doctor tried to give me antidepressants bit I'm scared to take them sad

• Posted

Lisa

I would say yes it's peri and this can start anytime from 40 years, I am going through it and I am 49 years but when I look back there has been signs of it for last 2-3 years.

I am experiencing exactly the same but my anxiety has made it worse until I took medication.

Remember the more you stress the more you'll feel, peri feeds off stress, cortisol and adrenaline

The very best is we don't go through this all our lives

• Posted

Hi woo. Thank goodness. I'm not going mad! Do u mind me asking what medication u r in and have the doctors actually told u that ur going through peri? I have always been a worrier like I said but this all seems a bit too extreme. I know it's not me if that makes sense. It scared me when I felt the fluttering and was told about the adrenaline. I was that bad I went to the bathroom 5 times one night! sad I started panicking cos my dad died of a heart attack and u can't take hrt cos my mom died of breast cancer ?? do u have any other self help tips?

• Posted

I am on 20mg flouextine (prozac) yes it takes a few weeks to get into your system and yes side effects are not nice (lack appetite, weight loss which is not to bad as most women get a spare tyre in peri!!!, nausea, yawning & lethargy) but I am on week 3 and mentally I am getting better & aide effects subsiding I had a uterine biopsy done due to irregular bleeding and I worked myself into such a state thinking the worse, it came back ok, without medication I would be worrying about another symptom I still do but I can now put things into perspective. Not many doctors acknowledge perimenopause they know symptoms but won'the give it a title but a women GP confirmed it was likely and the consultant gynae believes it my hormones as I Don't have to go back for 2 months. I have read 4 books, numerous websites and I know the symptoms and science behind peri & menopause. I also use bioidentical hormone cream so will see how I get on but don'the be frightened of taking medication, anti depressants can reduce or eliminate hot flushes so bonus

• Posted

Thinking about it I could b starting hot flushes. The first was when I had the toilet episode cut thought it was anxiety?? Doc gave me citrolpram but scared to take it silly I know because it's an antidepressant and I feel as if I can't cope and I'm weak sad do u get breathing problems like hyperventilating or u just can't get a simple breathing pattern? I'm like u tho. It's like once I've had something checked out. I'm like thank god but then t start worrying about something else ??

• Posted

That's me exactly, I know I am doing it but I can't help it although it's not too bad now am on anti depressants. Hyperventilating is an anxiety/ panic symptom I have used hypnotherapy on my computer and it is very effective but you have too do it everyday.

Eventually my anxiety subsides but this time hormones are more involved and I believe these have to be sorted before things improve so roll on menopause

• Posted

It's awful isn't it. Weird whilst I've been emailing you, had this burning sensation in my left breast and my feet and arms felt bit tingly. Is that like a hot flush? It's scarey. Thinking signs of something else cos I've been stressed ?? If it's hot flush how long do they last. Face feels hot too!

• Posted

I meant to add I feel bit lightheaded too. Also I had bloods done for hormones 2 days before my period. Do u think it's possible to pick anything up at this time?

• Posted

I don'the really get hot flushes as anti depressants do help prevent them but having an anxiety attack can cause symptoms like hot flashes, i'll explain how it works, when you stress you get anxiety, this is feed by cortisol from adrenal glands (flight or fight hormone) your ovaries also need cortisol to work but in peri menopause puts strain on this part of your system, so you get a crash which makes your adrenals go into overdrive and that's where panic & hyperventilating comes from. I know it's hard but getting stressed makes it worse I know how you feel I had and sometimes still have the same

• Posted

Hormone testing is very unpredictable they need to be tested everyday as they can fluctuate daily but you can get fsh testing sticks which you can use over the whole month (get 5 in a pack on ebay) if you have too much fsh in your urine then you are in ovarian failure (peri) but these are not 100% accurate so far mine have been high but need to do next 2 weeks too see but it does sound to me like you are peri
    • Posted

Thanks woo. It's so hard. Even when I'm not worrying it comes on out the blue! Then I feel pain in neck arm thinking heart attack! I can cope if someone told me what it was. It's the not knowing. I may have to try the antidepressants I think. I have an ECG Monday to check all ok. I just know I can't carry on like this sad I will try those sticks too. Thanks for ur advice. I think I need a permanent holiday! ??

• Posted

It's fine Lisa we are all going through it so we all understand but just remember how you feel is how I and lot others feel so chances of us all having anything really bad is highly unlikely. I would suggest getting involved on here with some of the discussions they really help as symptoms are always familiar don't be afraid to email me whenever you feel low but honestly give the anti depressants a go try get through side effects you will feel better

• Posted

Ok thanks woo it really helps. I really do appreciate any advice and it does help me to calm a bit smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.