Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had the same pains jumping all over the place. I went to my doctor and he did alot of blood tests and found that I tested positive for either RA or lupus. I ruled out lupus not enough symptoms. Looking more like RA, waiting to see Rheumatoid Arthritis doctor. It seems like a long wait. I firmly believe that the cause is generically altered food has to do with this, because it seems like alot of people are getting it. My hands are mostly affected by horrible pain, swelling, and stiffness along with popping. I am currently taking a fish supplement and drinking joint juice. I will continue to look at other ways to ease all of these symptoms naturally. When I actually see the doctor I will be happy, but not about any medicines, that may be suggested. Meds. Always seem to cause other problems, not interested. I have spent alot of time reading about this disease and I want to find something naturally to aliveate symptoms. It is scary going through menopause because it feels like something is seriously wrong and this runs your whole body functions on how they are going to react. Hot flashes, adrenaline rushes,pain, and just not feeling right. I want my life back to normal. Dealing with all of it though. Any other advice would be appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi,

My Dad has RA, he doesn't take his medication (I don't know what it is and likely he's tried a few different ones as he has had it for years now). He said it's bad enough being in pain that the Meds have side effects and don't really help with the pain at all.

• Posted

sounds like me talking in your post..

i'm wondering if all this will cease after menopause... i'm not sure... i think we probably have to bring body back to balance as well..i 've got exactly same symptoms as you..

i got really scared, down and panicky which is now causing extra stress and adrenlain in the morning grrr! 

I've read about diets and they are so restrictive there is nothing left to eat... so i'm struggling.what joint juice do you have?

I just bought a juicer

i even read one site that said don't take fish oils only coconut oil.. there is so much conflicting info

let us know if you find out anymore

i want my life back too

• Posted

I am so relieved to find this forum I feel like crying (just for a change!).  I have had muscle/joint pain for several years - neck, shoulders, back, knees, hips, elbows.  Parts of my body feels inflamed - hands, tongue, knees. I get regular headaches.  I have been referred to a rheumatologist and told I do not have arthritis, I have had x rays.  I was thankfully diagnosed with inflamed shoulder/impingement and had a cortizone injection which was a god send.  This not only relieved the severe pain in my shoulder but also seemed to relieve the pain to a degree in the whole of my body - short lived!  I take anti inflammatories but to no effect.  I get very light headed.  I have had an underactive thyroid for 15 years.  The pain really does get me down as I am a very active person but when I have a flare up (every 2-3 weeks), I can barely function, get very low and irritable and painfully tired.  I have been to the GP several times over a number of years but as they say there is no real signs of anything it is difficult to diagnose what the problem is (get the feeing they think it is all in my mind).  My main concern is that when I have a flare up, I find myself VERY short of breath and struggle to get air into my lungs. My chest feels very tight and it sometimes feels as though I have been punched in the back.  I sometimes feel as though I am going to pass out because I can't get any breath and it makes me light headed.  I feel this is all related and I also felt I must some awful disease but I now feel reassured and have a glimmer of hope.  I had already made yet another appointment to see my gp nest Friday so will go armed with this new found information and will stand my ground and request some hormone tests.  I have also had all the other peri/meno symptons - night sweats/hot flushes, irregular/heavy periods.  I have lots of small fybroids which I am not sure if it is related to the menopause.  I am a healthy, active 52 year old and I often feel more like 82 which I find immensely frustrating. Thank you all for your messages it has given me renewed hope

• Posted

I am also so happy to have found this! Just to vent!

Nobody understands me it feels like. I am in top shape, look good 50 year old.

But this pain sends me into depression very quickly. Now I am going to search for specific diet for this horrible condition. Already dairy and gluten free ...not by choice! We should gather a BIG convention somewhere in the world about this. NOT kidding!!!!

• Posted

I know the joint pain feeling. I've started acupuncture, this is my third week and it is helping. I still have trouble sleeping at night and take melatonin but I have fewer hot flashes now.

• Posted

Hi Leslie, and everyone else who may be following this forum.  I too have recently succomed to the Perimenopause symptoms.  I feel as if I've been working towards this event for the last three years, with on and off symptoms you all have described.  I am 51 now, and still in good shape(at least I think I'm in good shape). I excercise regularely, and have maintained my weight over the last 10 years....a pretty consistent 130lbs.  I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I turned 18, and have been on meds ever since.  Long and short of this is I've felt ok up until these last few weeks.  My periods are now about every other month, short but clotty. I've had a few UTI's over the last 6 months(which are awful), and am currently treating.  The thing is, I also am having an achy pain in my vaginal region.  This pain reminds me of being in the last few weeks of pregnancy when the baby's head is resting on the pelvic region.  I also have noticed A LOT of joint pain, just about everywhere.  This has increased over the last few days.  I feel like I've ran a marathon and power lifted simultaneously. This is what's really freaking me out!  My Father and his family all have been inflicted with rheumatory arthritis, and my mother is 86 suffering from the effects of poly myalgia and osteoarthritis. I've been tested in the past for the RH factor, and that isn't present, but I am baffled by this sudden onset of joint pain.  I'll be scheduling an appointment with my Gyno., but it's nice to know I'm not alone, nor am I crazy.

• Posted

Not sure if I'm in the same boat as all of you, but I need advise. I'm 46 and had the Mirena fitted 7y ago. I'm now on my second one fitted in May. 3 weeks ago my back started aching terribly, so much so that I can't stand up strait. I know I didn't hurt my back at all, it just developed through the day and got worse. I took anti-inflamatory pills but it didn't help at all. About 10 days ago all my joints started aching, especially my hands, wrists and fingers. This has now extended to my shoulders, elbows and both knees. My left knee "clicks" as if it's out of joint. I've been to the doctor 3x, having blood tests done, xrays and even my thyroid, EKG as well, all are 100% okay.  There's nothing wrong with me. But I feel 86!!

Now I've found your blog and would like to hear other's advice on what you think it could be. This is all very sudden and I was afraid it could be something serious, but all medical tests are negative. Even thought of going to a herbalist. She does live blood analysis and bio resonance tests, and can tell you within an hour if there are any viral, paracitic or bacterial infection. 

Now that I've read your blog and replies I think this might be a hormonal / menopausal thing. Just strange that I do have the Mirena in which should be regulating my hormones. 

My back and hands are the worst. I can't stand and can barely drive, as I can't move my wrists, which is a problem as I have to take my kid to school and I have to work. If any of you have had similar problems, I would like to hear from you. I'm desparate to find a solution for this pain. Thanks ladies

• Posted

Hi carina

Your symptoms sound identical to mine although I also have hip pain!

I get some other strange things , random twitches , odd burning sensations, headaches.

I've had all the tests too and all normal . I'm 49 so maybe it's all hormones . If I come up with an answer I'll post it here .. I've become so anxious about it that sleep has become an issue too :-(

If you get any answers please let us know !

• Posted

Hi Sare, I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this. No piankillers help. But since reading this forum. I decided to go buy the Devils claw pills and try it out. It's probably too early to say but after taking it for 2 days now my back and hip pain is definitely better. The pain in my hands, wrists, shoulders are still there and is quite bad during the night and early morning, but it does feel better. Just sad that my GP is very sceptical about anything that's not from a medical background, he's never heard of devils claw and says I'm probably imagining that it works. He wants to send me for further tests but my medical aid is running out fast and i am still none the wiser. I will keep using the devils claw and have also gotten a calcium/magnesium supplement as my multivit doens't contain enough.

• Posted

i have exactly the same: i got so anxious that i can't sleep and wake up with anxiety..i 've started hip pain and its scaring me.. so many of us with this.. has to be an answer.. what i'm reading is saying its actually caused by the food passing from the gut into the bloodstream and causing inflammation.. so u have to heal the gut and that helps.. let me know if you find any more info 

• Posted

carina, just reading your post and i have exactly the same. did they test you for arthritis as doctors? just wondering. so many people seem to have this with negative test results.. my doctor won't test mine cos she said i'll get even more anxious if its yes! are you in Uk? you're herbalist sounds good

• Posted

Hi finally I find someone out with the EXACT same symptoms!

Pain is SO bad and worst at night and in mornings. It has now since July been constant in elbows, fingers and hips.

No one seems to be able to help. Did you get any help? I hope you found some relief!!!

Your suffering sister

Ebba

• Posted

Yes I feel so bad I don't want to go to work.. my left shoulder been in so much pain the last few days it's been sickening. Dizziness. Dry tongue bad taste. confusion. to many to name. I'm so fed up with doc saying it's menopause wait it out.

I want to be normal again.

• Posted

i'm feeling the same. I can't go out much atm.

I got so stressed by the joint pain that my adrenals are playing up..its a snowball effect

I've been trying to look things up on google and it said go on very restricted diet to ease pain, but i lost too much weight so i'm back to square one

i'm going to lie down and rest and pretend its not happening

if you  get any answers let me know

• Posted

I know what you mean with the snowball effect. The only advice I can give in the eating is when I cut wheat completely out of my diet, I quit aching. Not sure if that will work for you, but it did for me and pretty quickly too. And I am thin anyway, but with the anxiety I have also been struggling keeping on enough weight. I get so tired, my bp gets scary low. So, I recently found a grass fed whey protein shake that I am drinking a couple times a day. Plus I just take advantage of anytime I have an appetite...I eat whatever...bc I know the next week I might not be able to. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

thanks for reply. i have cut out wheat..which helps a bit and i've read everywhere to cut out dairy which i have.. is whey protein shake dairy tho? - i think whey must be dairy, so wondering if i should try it.. can you say the name on here.. i get real scared at losing more weight...thx for advice

• Posted

Some people that are allergic to dairy may have difficulty with whey bc it does still have some lactose and casein in it (I think). Don't quote me. I don't eat a lot of dairy and I will go through months where I don't eat any and it doesn't seem to bother me either way. So I don't have the inflammatory reaction to it like I do with wheat. I haven't read all the ingredients on the shake yet bc I know I need to gain weight and I need to maintain as much muscle mass as I can. I figured with it being grass fed it at least won't have the bad stuff in it that I try to stay away from. I would say I am 90% vegetarian and I think I have gone through times where I wasn't paying attention to how much protein I was taking in and with all this peri stuff, I am finding I have to do something. Being too thin is as bad as being too heavy. So I have been trying to eat wild caught sockeye salmon, organic chicken. I even had some grass fed beef the other night. I gained 4 lbs, but then lost 2. But I feel much better and I can tell my bp is holding. Bc of the adrenal issue it doesn't matter how much water I drink, I just pee it right back out, so I liberally salt everything with Celtic sea salt. Have you read the books by dr Davis? They explain a lot.

• Posted

i'm not sure... ! i don't think so but you could try...ty

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.