Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

the other thing i keep coming across when reading about healing the joints is the conflict between the 2 schools of thought: one side is saying be mostly vegetarian/plant based to ease inflammation; and the other side is saying  follow the paleo diet - meat and veg as cereals and grains cause inflammation!! they both are completely opposite to each other and i have no idea which is right.. i guess it may depend on the person and what suits them but its very confusing. has anyone had food allergy tests?
    • Posted

Jodie, I have found that very confusing as well.  I try to follow a little bit of both and really stay away from processed foods including cereals.  I know some people do well off gluten too.  I guess we just have to experiment on ourselves.  I know dairy really makes me inflamed especially milk and cheese because of the casein (protein) so I stay away from dairy. I've been off of dairy for about six years now.

• Posted

still having really hard time with the joint pain...

took herbal anti-inflamms tonite.. helped a bit

does anyone get slight swelling on the palms - and palm side of the fingers..

and they go a bit red?

i'm finding it hard to cope with this; fearful of whats round the corner..

im in UK if anyone wants to message 

• Posted

Hello Jodie, i started my joint pain 3 weeks ago. Pain in all my joints especially fingers, knee and shoulder. Just had results from blood test all negative. Having researche this i believe its menopausal tendonitis caused by sudden drop in estrogen. Yes my fingers knuckles go red and knee swollen. I met a lady recently who had it in her feet and could not walk eventually she was diagnosed by a podiatrist with menopausal plantar faschitis, she said it lasted a year before getting better. So the good knews is it will pass in time. I am looking into anti inflammatorie diet, omega 3 fish oil and starflower oil to see if they help. Good luck.
    • Posted

wow jeanette thanks for that reply.. that is incredible to  hear, that it may pass in time.. and has given me some hope as i have been thinking i have RA and it will last now.. Have u had any pains in ur hips? that is the one that sacres me the most...I will look into anti-inflamm diet too.. let me know how you get on with it, and please keep posting and keep in touch. I'm glad ur tests were -gve.. gives me hope. Good luck too 

• Posted

Hi Jodie, i was very scared too that it might be arthritis it feels so painful. Yes i get twinges everywhere in my feet now it seems to move as knee is much better and sometimes in hips. I am seeing GP hopefully tomorrow to discuss negative results and ask him what he thinks about menopausal tendonitis, i am convinced now this is what i have and feel better knowing that it will pass. I am also taking menopace which is a multi vit and mineral supplement. Omeaga 3 fish oil is an anti- inflammatory too but needs at least 6 weeks to see results i only started taking a couple of weeks ago. I will keep you posted. All the best Jeanette.
    • Posted

I have this Jeanette, menopausal plantar fasciitis 

It is comforting to know that my symptoms are normal 

• Posted

thanks Jeanette - yes please do keep me posted: be very interested to hear what he says.. hope you're right and it will pass for us all. I am going to take some of your advice with the supplements etc! Keep posting, thanks again

• Posted

Hi Alison, yes i met a lady that had it when a podiatrist diagnosed it as menopausal tendonitis. I googled menopausal plantar fascitis and it seems very common. It gives you exercises etc to do to help. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hello Jodie, I saw my male GP today, unfortunately not that helpful did not think my syptoms were menopausal tendonitis had not heard of it! He gave me information on low dose HRT and said taken for maximum 5 yrs there is little risk. I still want to go down diet supplement route and see how i am. He dismissed herb supplements as not clinical research on them. I may go and see a doctor/herbalist who is medically trained and interested in alternative methods if things persist. Hope your doing ok.
    • Posted

i just left you long comment jeanette but it said it was being moderated.. i think cos i asked if you were in same location as me..! I was saying that didn't sound that helpful and sounds good idea to see the sort of doc/herbalist ur describing.. let me know if you find someone good..

I'm struggling a bit - pain not too bad but im wary of it.. i think mine is connected to my gut flora/ but must be hormonal too as we're all getting it at this age. pm me when you like

• Posted

In addition to the supplements get a heated mattress pad , best $ ever spent it is so therapeutic 
    • Posted

I used to do all my stretching under scalding hot water shower for ages (no care for wasting water either!!!) because I thought it would help but as soon as I got out of the heat the pain returned. it was, of course, fluctuating estrogen and no progesterone (stress chewed up my progesterone via cortisol).
  • Posted

Hi lesley I am having same problem my left shoulder arm can't get comfy in before feel like crying with so much pain. Don't know what I can do to get pain away. Did u get the help ?

Angela

• Posted

I'm having that same problem right now your not alone some days it's good but when it acts up it goes on for days the aching in it then it feels like my shoulder pulls when I move my arm it feels like real tight muscles pulling in my arm and shoulder it's all bad but o pray we all get through this good luck

• Posted

Hello Angela...apologies, I have not been on the forum for ages to reply. This sounds like what I had, a frozen shoulder, or 'adhesive capsulitis'.  It is absolute agony, and I'm afraid it gets worse before it gets better.  Mine took a full year to go away, although the pain peaked at about a month and it was not painful for the full year - just stiff and immobile. I tried lots of therapies and the one that helped me most was Bowen Therapy.  Mind you, I only discovered this at the end of the frozen shoulder so it may just have been getting better anyway.  Please try to remember that it WILL go away.  Sending you positive thoughts! x   

• Posted

You have a condition known as adhesive capsulitis.  Very common in meno.  Please see your GP.  We are not allowed to recommend any treatment on this forum.  I had it, it typically takes a year to resolve. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.