Perimenopause or detached from life

Posted , 157 users are following.

I feel like that batty cat lady from the Simpsons - I feel like I LOOK mad, and I am unravelling mentally and physically.

I'm 49 and have been going through the peri-menopause for a couple of years. First my periods were horribly clotty and heavy and every three weeks, now in the last six-nine months they've got further apart and lighter.

But it's how I feel that's so weird. I am shaky, anxious, when I'm talking to people I'm trying to think what expression I should be wearing on my face. I feel tired but not sleepy, like as if all my energy has been sucked out of me and all I want to do is sit down. Everything seems like too much effort and I am not enjoying life when I feel like this. Some days I feel great, but there are too many days like this now.

If anybody I know is going through a hard time, I've always been THE most supportive person, but lately it just makes me anxious because I feel I'm being sapped of what little strength I have left. I avoid people, especially high maintenance people.

I'm trying to force myself to take a shower now. I love being clean and having freshly washed hair, but even that's too much. My roots need doing but I can't be bothered. And I don't even feel human, let alone like a woman. I feel like I'm drifting away from friends, like I have nothing to bring to the table when it comes to being good company.

And I wonder if anybody has any experience of whether diet helps. I felt really good last week and I was eating well - could it be as simple as that? I've had a weekend of too many carbs and a curry this weekend.

Scrange x

28 likes, 376 replies

376 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Scrangelina

hahahahahahaha Catherine Tate lady ... screamer, oh thats made me laugh....

i am more like the other... the one who wants to give someone a right good Back Hander hahahahahaha

I have a weird thing going on, this morning I got up and went into living room and the portable radio was on quite loud ???? Ugh .... it wasnt even on last night, I have a ritual at night, I turn TV off etc, then come back in and check everything... abit OCD ... no radio on... so how the hell was that on this morning... no one else in house, partner works overseas so no else turned it on.... think I am losing the plot 😮

Jay x

• Posted

LOL it's Scrange, not Judith, but I can sympathise with that too. I get about one name in four right these days.

Hunger shakes, yes, like my blood sugar level is low. Sometimes it feels like somebody's sitting on my chest. I was just doing a practical task earlier, using a glue gun and stanley knife, and looking how the project turned out... well let's just say it's a good job I'm not a heart surgeon. biggrin

• Posted

Omg just saw ur post. Im getting that awful feeling like someone is sitting on my chest. It has given me serious anxiety ossuez. Im 47 been un perimenopause 7 years. Doc said it could be acid reflux but meds dont seen to work. Im also on 15mg mirtazapine AD just reduced from 30mg due to weight gain. Please tell me if you gound relief from it. Im at my wits end
  • Posted

Oh Jay, you and me both girl. I have to double check things because I don't trust my brain. I find myself chanting things over and over from one room to the next so I don't forget. And of course it does not good, because my brain has become a vacuous sieve. I put my purse in the fridge the other day - had the house apart looking for it. I'm always mislaying stuff - and recently I lost some clothes (I think I accidentally binned them because I'd put them in a carrier bag straight from the tumble dryer). I became convinced a neighbour had come across the fence to steal them because I couldn't see what else could possibly have happened.

When I shared my suspicions about the neighbour theft with my husband I noticed he was wearing that expression that Shelly Duvall's character (married to the Jack Nicholson character) wore in the Shining when she discovered him typing 'all work and no play makes jack a dull boy' over and over again in the cellar.

• Posted

HAHAHAHA! Ohhhh!! THANK YOU FOR Saying THAT about "The Shining!" MADE ME LAUGH! First time in quite awhile! Y E S! I KNOW that "LOOK!" Haha! It Really, HELP!

• Posted

I am 49 and have all of the same exact emotions/ symptoms. I am now looking for solutions. Has anyone found relief with any treatments, remedies?
    • Posted

I know it's been a long time but wanted to respond. I am 43 and have been going through this for a couple of years. It through my thyroid off as well. I was in financial services for 20 years and very solid but had to leave this. I tried all the natural remedies which didn't work. My OBGYN put me on an antidepressant. I didn't want to be on this so finally went to hormone therapy. It has helped a lot but is a work in progress. Every time of think I have it nailed down my hormones and body changes. There needs to be more awareness of this in the work place to accommodate it and the medical profession.

• Posted

Hi Lori 

I am the same as in the thyroid , I’m hypo and I don’t know if the symptoms I’m having are thyroid related or peri . Being feeling really anxious . My doctor looks at me as if menopause is a new illness he’s never heard of . Nobody knows how to treat this illness it’s so debilitating living with both

💕

• Posted

HI Claire,

You may want to consider finding a new doctor. For me thyroid issues started when I missed a period and there were other symptoms (depression, insomnia, hot flashes, etc.). But doctors are frustrating as they don't acknowledge it and treat it properly. Even when my hormone therapy doctor can't figure me out (I don't think he has yet), he blames stress. Good luck. Talk to more than one doctor and read up on it. Listen to your body and take care of yourself.

• Posted

Scrangelina.... Sleep... OMG I havent had a proper nights sleep for years, I cannot nod off, its so hard, and then I wake all the time, then feel like I want to sleep when you should be up... its very common sleep issues with peri... I sometimes take the Melatonin 10mg and for real bad times the Doc gave me some Zopiclone, which I only use when I am so shattered that I have to sleep.. I only take half a tab as and when..

Dread and doom yes i get that, I feel anxious about everything, even driving to the shops, crazy... but once I get going I enjoy it, oh I wish I had a friend going through the same near me, be so much easier... like you say its not something you talk about is it... I get obsessed with negative feelings, like the wheels are gonna drop off the car, or someone will crash into me, which nearly did happen other day, so thats made it even worse...

a car came head on towards me, across my side and then suddenly he jerked his car away from me, missing me by about a foot, the idiot... thats all I need 😮

and... I still sat here, feeling sluggish, havent made my self move off the sofa yet.... maybe after another coffee

Jay xx 😐

• Posted

Hi

Im having the same issues. I find it to be very scary at times. Especially with the memory,sluggish feeling,f forgetfulness. The tightness in chest,hair Loss's,shakness in hands ect. I'm so glad found this website. Before found this site . I felt was going crazy Lossing my mind.

• Posted

ME TOOOOOO!! Feel SHAKING HANDS! HAIR LOSS! MEEEE?! But YES! Absolutely TERRIFIED!
    • Posted

Meeeee Toooo! For the last 4 Years! Just MUCH WORSE lately! HELP! Scared to leave the house!
  • Posted

Dohhh.. the last post pending approval as i included a web address so i have reposted with put full web address..

Scrangelina.... Sleep... OMG I havent had a proper nights sleep for years, I cannot nod off, its so hard, and then I wake all the time, then feel like I want to sleep when you should be up... its very common sleep issues with peri... I sometimes take the Melatonin 10mg for Biovea website and for real bad times the Doc gave me some Zopiclone, which I only use when I am so shattered that I have to sleep.. I only take half a tab as and when..

Dread and doom yes i get that, I feel anxious about everything, even driving to the shops, crazy... but once I get going I enjoy it, oh I wish I had a friend going through the same near me, be so much easier... like you say its not something you talk about is it... I get obsessed with negative feelings, like the wheels are gonna drop off the car, or someone will crash into me, which nearly did happen other day, so thats made it even worse...

a car came head on towards me, across my side and then suddenly he jerked his car away from me, missing me by about a foot, the idiot... thats all I need 😮

and... I still sat here, feeling sluggish, havent made my self move off the sofa yet.... maybe after another coffee

Jay xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.