Perimenopause or detached from life

Posted , 157 users are following.

I feel like that batty cat lady from the Simpsons - I feel like I LOOK mad, and I am unravelling mentally and physically.

I'm 49 and have been going through the peri-menopause for a couple of years. First my periods were horribly clotty and heavy and every three weeks, now in the last six-nine months they've got further apart and lighter.

But it's how I feel that's so weird. I am shaky, anxious, when I'm talking to people I'm trying to think what expression I should be wearing on my face. I feel tired but not sleepy, like as if all my energy has been sucked out of me and all I want to do is sit down. Everything seems like too much effort and I am not enjoying life when I feel like this. Some days I feel great, but there are too many days like this now.

If anybody I know is going through a hard time, I've always been THE most supportive person, but lately it just makes me anxious because I feel I'm being sapped of what little strength I have left. I avoid people, especially high maintenance people.

I'm trying to force myself to take a shower now. I love being clean and having freshly washed hair, but even that's too much. My roots need doing but I can't be bothered. And I don't even feel human, let alone like a woman. I feel like I'm drifting away from friends, like I have nothing to bring to the table when it comes to being good company.

And I wonder if anybody has any experience of whether diet helps. I felt really good last week and I was eating well - could it be as simple as that? I've had a weekend of too many carbs and a curry this weekend.

Scrange x

28 likes, 376 replies

376 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Acid reflux Heather, yes that too last night. Felt like I had acid in my esophagus.

What I want to know is how are we expected to function in society normally feeling like this. Men have such a huge advantage, as usual. And God forbid we were to complain about these symptoms, society thinks its one big joke - I hang my head in horror that I used to too when I was a teenager. Maybe this is karma...

• Posted

BB106

I take Maca, Estroven Maximum, Vit D and Calcium ( Natecal) Vit B 6 and Vit B 12 ... these do help ... I am twice as bad with out ... as I did stop them and OMG felt even worse again...

I am not too bad really, its just the odd slow day, not very motivated, and anxiety for me is the worst...

the remedies help the other things...

Jay x

• Posted

useful info of the web.. may help you ...

Everyone needs B-vitamins for good health. Without them we can suffer from a variety of serious ailments. For a woman going through perimenopause, B-vitamins can be essential for effectively managing symptoms.

Adrenal fatigue, for example, is a common secondary condition for many women going through perimenopause. B-vitamins support healthy adrenal function, along with calming and maintaining a healthy nervous system. Many women also suffer with mood swings during perimenopause. Both B12 and B6 vitamins aid in the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, a key brain chemical needed to stabilize moods and promote feelings of wellness and contentment.

For women who suffer with brain fog, and memory issues in perimenopause, low levels of B6 could be part of the problem. Depression, confusion, and an inability to concentrate are all associated with B6 deficiency. Vertigo, dizziness, and heart palpitations are also common complaints from women going through perimenopause. All of these symptoms have been associated with (among other things) a B12 deficiency. Vitamin B6 can also help with stubborn weight gain in perimenopause. It is key in the breakdown and utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in our diet, and is necessary for a healthy metabolism - both which can help manage weight.

Jay x

• Posted

hi i am suffering a lot of symptms, im 53 recently bereft of 2 very close people, but also, pre menapause or i think i am, no help on this , i am back and forward to GP with anxiety, recently very heavey period, sore boobs for 2 weeks and water retention worse is diziness and palpitations, all checked out ok with ECG and stuff but i dont trust that alone, but after reading your article on here am wondering if this is what im suffering, i used to take vit b and fel t grdat but had anaphaletic shock 2 years algo from taking one niacin tab, truly awful, anyway what web site can i get this infol thanks for your help debi
    • Posted

hi deb 

niacin is vit B3 ... why did you take niacin hun..

maybe B complexes contain B3 you would always have to check as they vary 

some people take B3 to control cholesterol

jay x 

• Posted

NUTRITIONAL YEAST once Helped me! B12 fortified! But unfortunately, it no longer Helps. At All! Not for me anyway. Great Suggestion for MANY, However!
  • Posted

Jay.... I also wish we lived nearer. I feel like we could talk and laugh about this all day. I already feel better for talking to yo about it.

I relate to the driving thing. Lately I've become stressed about driving out of slip roads on to dual carriageways or motorways, convinced it will end in the sickening crunch of metal and a motorway pileup.

But the other - worse - driving thing I get is that, once on the motorway or fast road, I start to ask myself 'holy sh*t which one of these pedals is the brake and which is the clutch' or 'oh my god I'm going to die I'm going to die I'm going to die'. It's like a reasonless anxiety and as soon as I'm on to a normal road that's fine. But being a passenger in another person's car... I have to struggle to behave normally and not shout 'that lorry is braking, slow down you moron!'. I just avoid being a passenger as much as possible.

And forgetful - do you get forgetful. Some sentences I speak make so little sense that people just look at me with pity in their eyes. 'Watched a good film last night, it was called.... mmm.. oh sh*t... well it started that bloke from that other film... he played that policeman in ..... oh what was it called... he's married to whatsherface, the one who was in.... oh well... it was a good film ... or I think it was..

• Posted

That's the best laugh I've had in years, your conversation (last paragraph) description sounds exactly like mine! I'm so embarrassed sometimes and have weirdly tried to fill in gaps with other nonsense in some sort of vague attempt at covering up. I hardly recognise myself these past 10 years! I miss my (previous) self so much, not that I ever had any confidence but now I'm a complete wreck and obsessed with pleasing people(!) I'm post menopause now and it's even worse. 

but apart from that your last paragraph well it was just a real boost to know there are others out there

• Posted

ME TOO! I know I am ADHD! BUT SOOOO MUCH WORSE now, it Seems!
  • Posted

I'm going to get me some vitamins then - thanks. I'm also going to try making two green smoothies a day, I've just decided. It can't hurt can it?
  • Posted

And now I see you were talking to a Judith after all, haha.
  • Posted

Hi I am 47 and thought I would reply now or I will forget. Feel weird no energy not looking forward to anything, just can't be bothered with people. I don't feel like a women no sex drive , living in elasticated trousers as my stomach is so bloated. Just don't seem to want to dress up nice, hair is dry and dying. Everything is such an effort. I need to get the old me back .Help

Julie

• Posted

Julie i'm 47 too and thats how i feel made an appointment with the neurologist to see whats going on up there because i can't remember crap
  • Posted

Scrangelina

😃 me too, hate being a passenger, ' my life in their hands '

and yes, I cant even remember what day it is sometimes, I turn telly on expecting a programme and its the wrong day 😞 and yes, if I lose something i think someones stolen it hahahahahahahahaha

if I hear a funny phrase I want to remember I have to write it down ..... good lord ....

need a shopping list or dont get my shopping as forget what i went out for...

also... do you have the runny nose thing yet, out the blue your nose runs and you cant catch it ... as it just streams ... its not a cold or hayfever, its just a dam peri thing, mind you since I started b6 that has eased off ...

I know peri and menopause is normal and we are not ill but its a bind all the same...

I have had almost 9 years of this, havent had a period since Aug 13 ( 8 months) so keep wondering how much longer I will be before I am full Meno and then I hear it gets no better 😏

12 months of no period they say Meno is reached... only had two last year... 3 year before...

Jay x

• Posted

I just came across this blob and read both your post and these are all my symptoms. I feel like sleeping when i should be awake and awake when my body needs rest. driving same here which one is the brakes then i have a short converation with my self about being stupid. shower daily but now its like a task....I'm 47 have not been diagnosed yet..I will try the Vit ASAP and i'm job hunting so this makes it all seem worse and depressing

• Posted

Hi Morticia 

The post above is quite old now ..

i am post meno now, age 50 ..

try some vit B6 100mg .. And some rainforest food Maca 5.1

these have been a real help to me..

i take other vits too.

jay x

• Posted

Hi  all.   Boy am i glad to meet you all.  I have days when im the old me.  Then really bad days with well i will csll her the monster when i am her i become very detached and my mind goes into orbit i struggle when i become this monster i stand in the aisles in the shop forgettin what i wanted i scream st my husband never did this. When does it stop just got to hang in there 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.