Perimenopause or GAD????

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

I'm back again with a little confusion. I was already apprehensive or should I say anxious about my GP appointment today. I had a panic attack while I was there and just couldn't seem to calm down. He gave me a script for Ativan and said I need to relax. My anxiety this week has been through the roof. I've never had issues with anxiety but since all my other symtpoms started I have been on edge. I can't focus on my health because im always thinking that something is going to happen to me. I know the numerous tests tell me I'm ok but I can't shake the doom and gloom feelings. They just come out of nowhere. Does anyone else ever feel like the doom and gloom and is this normal? I am starting to think I have generalized anxiety disorder where im just out of sorts all the time.

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh dear, yes, but don't forget to get the pills, St. Johns Wort. It'll kick it in the bud. Don't take Ativan, that was the worse drug ever that I took. When I came off it, it gave me more memory issues than expected, I still haven't recovered from it, and it's been like 7 years, although it's coming back some memories like process thinking for writing poetry has completely gone. Get St. John's Wort or feel crappy all the time.
    • Posted

Hi. How long did St Johns take to work for you?

Maybe il go buy some RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

Good lord i cried and cried this morning for no good reason, gotta do something - off to google st johns wort!

• Posted

I am definitely going to get the St Johns Wort. I got the Ativan script filled but hadn't decided wether I was going to take it or not. I don't like feeling crappy, but I don't want to be a walking a drug store unless it's something I have to take.
    • Posted

It took a day or 2 for my anxiety to calm down. But ladies with severe symptoms can take up to a month for it to kick in. I hope you try it.
    • Posted

Well I brought some abs took it earlier. The testimonials were very appealing and pro St. John's with menu in particular.

fingers crossed smile

• Edited

I had this doom and gloom feeling really bad for almost three month straight during October, November, and December. It has tempered off a bit now but it is still lurking in the background. Some days are better than others. 

I also had a really bad anxiety attack while I was at the gyno and he send my to the ER to see a psychiatrist. I ended up for four days in the mental health unit. That was a horrible experience. You will definitely become depressed in there. They also gave me all kinds of anxiety meds but I only took them on and off, because they do not make me feel much better. I really think it has to do with your hormones dropping because I woke up one morning and felt a lot less doom and gloom. So far it has stayed that way. I just hope it does not come back.

Check out the book "The Fifth Decade". It really explains well what each hormone will do to your body and it is an easy read. 

I hope you will feel better soon. Don't give up, it will improve! xx

• Posted

I am dealing with the panic issue now because of the issues I have been dealing with the last few days, I am freakling out, I have my dr. appointment but scared about even going. I hate this.  I have had pressure in my breast/chest area, it swells and then it gets better, heat flashes accompany them too. But, I have other issues sore arms, and I am worried I have a serious disease.
    • Posted

My panic issues are crazy. I have never been a person to get anxious or worried. Now I am all over the place. I wake up with the jitters and nervousness. Today I have had some moments but tried to ignore it and talk through it. I have lately been feeling like I can't breathe from time to time. It freaks me out. Then when I finally calm down I get really hot but no sweating. I just feel like my body is out of whack and the closer I get to my menses, the symptoms seem to get worse. I went to the doc yesterday and was having a panic attack in his office. He looked at me like I was crazy. I'm sure the expierences you are having with your chest, arms and hot flashes are all meno issues. I certainly understand the anxiety that you are having thinking it's a serious illness. I think that everytime I get a new weird feeling.
    • Posted

Jamie, I just had a major panic attack, I am home alone with the dog and cat, and I just started freaking out I thought I heard something, I cannot deal with it, I do NOT want to take medications for this, but I am worried I may have to, I am worried about something being wrong with me, because of these symptoms. But, as much as I dont want to go to the dr. I am going to because I have to know thats its menopausal stuff, My gut tells me it is, because of when it started, but I am also concerned about my throid too. I hate this, I was never like this, I never had to deal with all of this, i was never scared of everything. 
    • Posted

It's going to be ok Lennie. Im sure its menopausal. I am the same way. I seem to be scared of eveything. I can barely ride in the car by myself anymore.My daughter went to the docs with me yesterday and I still flipped out. I really don't want to take anything but I may have to as well. I've been home from work all week because of my anxiety. Have you tried anything herbal?
    • Posted

Hi Lennie,

I'm so sorry you are all alone and struggling with a panic attack. My husband just left about an hour ago to show houses to a client. I dread being alone as well. I'm up in my room with door closed trying to watch a movie on the hallmark station to distract me from my fast heartbeat, shallow breathing and off balance feeling. I know it's my hormones, but what is absolutely funny is if I can get myind to shut off, the symptoms don't plaque me either. You are going to be okay lennie. Watch something funny on t.v and hug your wonderful animals. I had a miniature schnauzer for 15 years that I absolutely adored. Her name was Belle. She was always a comfort to me. She passed away in August of last year. Animals can be so very soothing. Take some deep cleansing breaths, you will be okay

❤️Debbie

• Posted

Thank you Debbie, that helps, yes I am taking deep breaths too, it does not help that literally my breasts were hurting me all day at work between the swelling feeling in my chest and breast pain and anxiety its been a rough time. I am so glad I have my dog he is sleeping now but at least he is here, I had my coat hanging on the bathroom door and it scared me I thought it was someone! WOW, I took it down. Yes, I am going to do my apple cider vinegar and some tea and lay on the couch, My husband will be home at 10.30, I used  to like whe he was away I had peace of mind now its stressful being alone. What the hell happened to us!
    • Posted

Jamie, I can barely drive long distances anymore because of panic attacks,  I pay a shuttle to drive me 15 miles because I freak out when I go around a curve. I have had major panic attacks when I went to work last year driving. Its bad really bad.
    • Posted

I totally understand. I have anxiety attacks everytime I have to get in my car alone. I probably have some speeding tickets coming in the mail cause I am going fast trying to get where I need to go. I am the only person in my household that drives so I stay on edge.
    • Posted

Lennie, you wouldn't believe I was sleeping and woke up to my heart racing. I was getting ready to go into panic mode. I tried to calm myself down. We are having a snow storm here and the only way out for me would be by ambulance. It calmed down but it scared the crap out of me. This anxiety stuff is truly for the birds along with these hormones that have me scared of everything. I am scared to go back to sleep. I don't get much sleep as it is now this. I'll have to find something to do to distract myself.
    • Posted

I read part of the book online,. Its fantastic, I am going to order the entire book Friday.
    • Edited

go get the blood test and it will tell you once and for al if it's your thyroid. You can get temporary meds like Clonazepam but you don't want to be dependant on that- its short term and it's helping me. Exercise and deep breathing... You will be fine. God bless you! Go to the doctor!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.