pip assesment

Posted , 9 users are following.

i had the pip assesment last wednesday am currently waiting for the result.

i dont expect to get anything but will wait and see.

i have been on pip since last yr and it was for 2 years, I got standard care and standard mobility, my esa assesor asked what pip i got and i told him, he said he thought i should be on higher mobility as i can only walk 3 steps and have to rest for a while before walking again. 

i waited for my esa report and sure enough the assesor had written on the report I believe this patient should have higher pip than originally given.

So i sent it of to pip thinking well maybe this will change my claim but if not I will just remain on the award i have.

How wrong was i the nurse who assesed me stated that his report will make no difference and that because i have reported a change of circumstances, my claim starts all over again and i might get nothing at all.

so my advice would be to others if your condition changes, wait untill your sent for to be reassesed because you may loose your original claim altogether.

I can only sit and wait to see if mine has been stopped or changed.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good luck Dawn.

I reported my circumstances had changed since originally applying for PIP (got standard DL, no mobility) because my mobility had deteriorated dramatically, I also applied for ESA as my SSP had ended.

I was assessed for ESA by MAXIMUS, the lady was a physiotherapist who had knowledge and experience of people with my condition, my assessment lasted 15 minutes and I was placed in the support group.

My PIP assessment was with ATOS. I was assessed by a nurse who had never heard of my condition, She kept asking me to do things that I told her were painful, lied on the report regarding my needs and despite putting on her report that I need help getting dressed marked the needs no help descriptor. This was used by DWP and I lost 4 points - so not only had my increased mobility needs been ignored, I also lost my DL award?

I am now awaiting the decision for my mandatory recon, but I imagine I will have to appeal again.

It is disgusting that the DWP do not take both ESA & PIP into consideration, especially as they use inexperienced so called health professionals for PIP claims. 

The DWP spend millions on using these companies, the very least they should demand is that they have competent HCPs in their employ who have experience with peoples conditions.

Sorry for this turning into a rant but it makes my blood boil

Anyway, good luck again, I hope you get the decision you deserve

• Posted

erykah what evidence did you have that your mobility had got worse?
    • Posted

I had a rheumatologist report, & GP letter. I asked my Physio for a report or letter but he said they only provide for DWP on their request. I didn't know what else I could use as evidence  

• Posted

Was the rheumatologist report a recent one which explained your condition had got worse?

You have to understand that the assessor needs to see recent evidence that your condition had got worse. If he doesn't see any evidence then you can't blame him for coming to the conclusion that he did. All assessors work on the balance of probabilities and if you can’t produce up to date evidence then they must report a non finding on your condition.

If you have been to a Physio then you can use any reports contained within your medical records. Contact your Health Authority and ask for access. Usually there is a £10 charge plus a small charge for any photocopies (about 10p per copy). It is quite surprising what your medical records can throw up.

• Posted

It was a recent report. She described how my condition affected me daily, my mobility issues and the impact it will have as it's a progressive condition.

If the MR comes back negative I will apply for my medical records. Thanks for suggesting that

• Posted

Golden rule is weight of evidence to tip the balance of probabilities in your favor. Glad you are following the advice. Also think about a care diary and getting statements from anyone who provides personal care for you.
    • Posted

Yes, I did a care diary when I first applied, and my daughter who is my main carer wrote a statement. Unfortunately, she cant help me all of the time because of her 5 month old son, so I do not really get the I need and I just have to manage as best I can. But hey-ho, such is life. 
  • Posted

Dawn that is excellent advice. Anyone who is in receipt of DLA or PIP should wait until called for an assessment.

This is especially difficult for those whose condition gets worse but it simply isn't worth the risk, unless the change a severe worsening and the claimant can get gold plated medical evidence.

• Posted

I wish i had waited now but i didnt know they stopped your claim at the time x
    • Posted

Thank you anthony97723 i also sent into pip a letter from my husband who is my carer stating what he does each day for me and how long it takes him to help me. I also told the assesor that as well
  • Posted

anyone know what SPD is?
    • Posted

Severe disability payment my son has applied for it because he's in esa

support group and enhanced care for pip he lives alone and no carer

So you can claim that also just waiting to hear back.

• Posted

so that's what SPD is.that many things my heads spinning like that girls off the exorcist.many thanks.always wondered how they justify leaving folk on there own.thanks again will try look into it deeper.

• Posted

Just Google sdp the form is the easiest form I've ever filled in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.