Pip assessment

Posted , 43 users are following.

Hi I have had my date for my assessment for pip I an really nervous . Does anyone know what happens and how long after they make a decision. Any advice much appreciated.

3 likes, 285 replies

285 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi Barbara, well the brown envelope arrived this morning, i had this horrible sick feeling and started to cry, thats before i opened the letter, just sat and looked at it, THEN after about an hour i opened it, i couldnt beleive what i read, Enhanced rate for living disability and standard rate for mobility omg was really shocked coz id actually convinced myself i wouldnt get anything, now just got to wait for ESA assessment. Thankyou so much for the encouragement you gave, convincing me NOT TO GIVE UP many thanks  JAYNE XXXXX :-)
    • Posted

Awwwwwww Jayne I am so so happy for you. You deserve it so much. Your welcome anytime. Me too am dreading it. Just sit back and relax for a bit now. Take care big hugs.

Barbara

xxxxxx

• Posted

BIG HUGS TO YOU TO thankyou for everything, if your waiting for ESA assessment let me know when you hear eh. Take care xxxxxxxxxx
    • Posted

hi Barbara, just thought id ask if youve heard anything about your ESA assessment, im on my 9th week now and heard nothing, im getting assessment phase award but i have read on one post that a lady waited for 10 mths for a reply and if awarded ESA the full amount would be backdated to the start of the 14th wk. prehaps no news is good news.

take care let me know if you hear anything best wishes jayne x :-)

• Posted

it as taken 2 months for me to get my assessment from pip i did get my pip but was worried sick all the time i was waiting actually got more than i originally did of dwp so im quite happy
    • Posted

Lucky you - so many fail - approx 50%!!!

I had DLA High Mobility/Middle Care yet when I checked up what scores/points I would have got if I had gone ahead and transferred it only amounted to 4 for the Care element and nothing for Mobility.

Not wanting to waste my time and have loads of stress,along the way, I never transferred over. Although it meant a loss of £250 a week, the relief was worth it not having to go through endless assessments/appeals & tribunals for the rest of my life.

• Posted

Hi there. I have just been for one. I made the mistake of telling them all about my condition, and forgot that they are there only to attempt to get your points down. And are not interested in you, or your condition. Just be alert to them slipping in questions to trick you into stating that you are able to do things, as you sit pouring out your heart to how bad your condition is. I got the impression that she knew very little about my condition, and was only interested in attempting to get me to state that i could do particular things, which my form stated i could not. Anything that you stated that you could not do, do not let them convince you that you can. Stick to your guns. And remember that you are the expert on your condition, and how it affects you, not them. Afraid it is too late for me. I believe she tricked me into believing i can do things, that my form stated i could not.  
    • Posted

Anything that you stated that you could not do, do not let them convince you that you can. Stick to your guns. And remember that you are the expert on your condition, and how it affects you, not them. Afraid it is too late for me. I believe she tricked me into believing i can do things, that my form stated i could not.  

I don't understand that comment. If what you put on the claim form was the truth why or how were you made to say otherwise?

I have a sore toe! No you don't, you look OK to me. But I have! Could it be that you are imagining it? Yeah maybe I am.

If you are suggesting that the assessor used undue force or manipulated your replies - then you should complain.

The only way that a statement can be overturned by the person who wrote the statement is if the statement was a lie to start with or maybe it was exaggerated.

• Posted

Michael sorry you feel your assessment didn't go well but in response to les59996 I would say in your defense that during my own PIP assessment with Capita I was asked to carry out some movement tasks.  I did feel obligated to prove to the assessor and myself that I can actualy carry out these simeple tasks such as balancing on one foot, raising both arms above my head, bending down to touch my toes but my friend had previously told me "don't be a hreo". She told me not to hurt myself by trying to prove I can do things. This was good advice as I think it is a natural thing to try to do our best but on this occasion it was better to be real with myself.  Forgive me if I have misunderstood but I thought this would help les59996 understand what you meant.

• Posted

I did not realise to afterwards, but she was deliberately aking me feel obliged to agree with her. I was quite stressed out at the time, as I had not slept all night virtually. She kept saying surely you can do this, and surely you can do that. I now believe she should not have worded it like this. She also kept throwing in random questions when I was in the middle of a big long explanation. And Iater realised that I was answering without thinking. And before I could explain further she would change the subject. I do not know yet if I have been awarded pip or not. I also got a strong feeling that she knew little about mental illness.
    • Posted

The idea when questioning is not to allow the individual to think about an answer - normally if you can confuse someone in the way you described the assessor would get answers without any thought being given by the claimant.

A normal ploy to be honest.

No one is going to say - 

Can you walk more than 20 metres -  eerr NO.

Can you wash your the lower part of your body -  eerr NO

The assessor is there to trip you up, suggest that you are lieing and would you agree, as well as to watch your eye &  hand  movements which generally give away that they are not being entirely truthful. 

I'm waiting for the DWP, as insurance companies already do, to level the playing field from those that are serial con artists and the genuine is that every claimant should undergo a lie detector test which is approx 98% accurate.

• Posted

Michael, it is really awful that they appear to try to 'catch us out'.  It is not just about being honest it is about being able to fully consider how your condition really does affect your daily life.  Before my assessment I would have replied to anyone who asked if I can make a cup of coffee, yes of course I can but during the assessment when I was asked, I had a think about it and then answered more fully, "yes I can however I have a Tassimo machine which makes one cup at a time and does not involve holding a kettle of hot water which would present a risk to myself.  I would also have probably said I can shower myself but when I thought fully about it (and had to admit to myself) that I can't really wash my back or my feet without help as I will fall over.  I think Les59996 is being quite simplistic in his response to how one answers questions.  It is not about telling lies, it's more about thinking fully about your response.  Had I just said "yes I can make coffee and yes I can take a shower" my response would not have been a lie and would have been a quick answer but it would not have fully explained the situation and this is where we let ourselves down, we do not answer fully and explain our limitations and the result of doing tasks without help.  I wish you luck in your application.  I have received a text message today saying they have all teh information they need to make a desicion and I will hear once they have done so. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

Yes I was being simplistic but only to get a point over. If the assessor just left it at the answers I gave the claimant would have got awards for both Care and Mobility.

Further probing bythe assessor could have resulted in both statements actually being lies.

Asking a closed question will give them an answer - using open questions would reveal more.

Can you walk 50 metres - No -Why? And? What hapens? If you did this..?

No examiner/assessor would want to give you time to think of an answer - they would much prefer to cut you dead midstream of your answer and quickly move on to the next question.

Put simply it is universally accepted that the first answer that you give without being allowed any thinking time would more likely be the truth.

The place to put a longer explantion of the why's and whatfor's of your answer should be on the PIP2 form.

• Posted

Sorry missed off a bit.

When I had my face to face assessments (all16 of them) my answers were either No, Yes, Yes I can, No I can't.

If then asked an open question to these replies, it was - if you look at the claim form (DLA, ESA, IIDB) you will find the full and complete explanation to that answer.

As for body language - this is an extremely useful tool. In the hands of a good examiner/assessor they would know the true answer before you actually replied.

Insurance companies use voice recognition software that would indicate the stress someone is under when they are telling a lie.

• Posted

Hi there , yes I agree wth everything you say. No one deserves to be made to feel that they are doing something wrong. An we are often made to feel that way. And good luck to you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.