Plasma Button Vaporization

Posted , 14 users are following.

I've been reading posts form all of you men about your recoveries from your various prostate surgeries and it seems that we are all experiencing the same recovery issues in varying degrees. My main issue has been a weak but steady urine stream starting two days after my catheter was removed. I saw my urologist today (5 weeks post surgery) and he told me the weak stream is common due to swelling within the prostate because of the surgery. Regarding the retrograde ejaculations, I am noticing less and less semen as I heal. Once again, it is a swelling issue. As the swelling subsides more of it is able to flow backward into my bladder. Again, normal. So, I'm happy with my recovery. Be patient, guys.....it takes time.

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Are you still taking any medications ? How old are you and how long did you have the catheter in?
    • Posted

I'm 68, no meds ever, and 5 days with the catheter.

• Posted

Glad it worked out for you - it makes sense, as Prostate is less swollen that you'll have retro - will be interesting to see if stream improves and frequency or urgency - if no medication sounds like you did the procedure at the right time, not waiting too long and ruining your bladder - were you taking meds before the procedure ?

• Posted

No, Mike. Because of the side effects that go along with prostate medications I opted to simply put up with the symptoms until they began to effect my normal daily routines. As for the stream, frequency and urgency, they are all improving with time. I'm pleased with multiple progress.

• Posted

Should have been MY PROGRESS (darn that auto-correct).
  • Posted

hi all, on Dr recommendation I'm planning on Button TURP, only question is when.  I'm involved in sporting competitions (cycling) and wondering, based on your experience, how long one can expect to be inactive after button TURP and how long before resuming heavy training?  It's a significant decision, will GREATLY appreciate your insights!

• Posted

I was restricted to lifting no more than 10 lbs for two weeks following surgery. Occasionally for maybe three weeks I noticed an uncomfortable feeling between my legs but by adjusting my sitting position it would ease up. I would say that I was pretty much resuming all normal activities in 2 - 3 weeks.
  • Posted

Dale, why did you choose the plasma button vaporization instead of one of the other more popular procedures?  From reading comments on this fourm it seems like turps are more painful, have longer recovery, and higher risk of complications.

By the way my uro has recommended it for me.

• Posted

My Urologist switched from Green Light to plasma button, he said a lot less bloody and less painful - if you look at their web site they claim it's quite different from traditional TURP.

• Posted

My urologist recommended it because of less bleeding, and fewer complications. It took a little over an hour to do the surgery and when I woke up in the recovery room the only discomfort was from the catheter. The surgery was completely pain free. There was the usual bladder spasms because of the catheter but that stopped when it was removed 5 days later. I would do it again if necessary.
    • Posted

And you can take Uribel for bladder spasms, shame they didn't tell you :-)

• Posted

My bladder spasms weren't severe enough to take anything.

• Posted

you sound brave and tough :-) yeh I could survive the bladder spasms without taking anything but they were pretty aweful in my case
    • Posted

Don't know about brave and tough, but I was amazed at how easy it was for me to get vaporized. Ever had shingles? THAT is true pain!

• Posted

I hope I never get them, my mother had them once when I was a kid and too young to understand - I've had gall stone attacks and my kidneys in pain from urine backing in from Ureters while I was almost in retention, those two were worst pain I've had ever.

• Posted

Kidney stones are, by far, the most painful experiences I have ever had. Words can't describe the misery they cause.

• Posted

Off topic, but how do you know if you have stones? Now I know how to self cath I'm hoping if I God forbid ever get them I can expell them using an intermittent catheter.

Yeh I've heard they are excruciating no wonder you were so brave with your procedure!

• Posted

He had kidney stones not bladder stones.
    • Posted

Oh I thought the pain was trying to pass them out of bladder into the urethra or stuck in uretbra not stuck in kidney or ureters.
    • Posted

Dalebf  That does not sound like a Plasma Button Turp.  Most of the time it take 2 to 3 hour because they have to take there time doing it.  I think your doctor did a regular turp on you because when your out he can do anything he want to .  They have been other on here that have had it done and it has taken up to 3 hour and they did not get retro.  Well it's your body you have to deal with the outcome   Take care  Ken   

• Posted

Not bladder stones......kidney stones. One of them was so big it got stuck on the way down my ureter.
    • Posted

Well, Ken, if you can't/don't trust your doctor it's time to start looking for another one.

• Posted

My urologist had to go up there and pull it out. This was before they got the ability to blow them up.
    • Posted

so you had excruciating pain but you could still pee? one Ureter was totally blocked? I'm just curious how they diagnose something like that. I've had a mysterious pain while I pee on and off for years, just on one side, I suspect it's something to do with the Ureter. Was it a CT scan, Ultrasound or they just knew based on what you were describing?

• Posted

I trust my doctor.  He is the one that di my urolift.  It was the emergency doctor that I did not trust before they rush me into surgery.  I would not sign until he did.  Ken
    • Posted

They cat scan everything looking for stones. Been there. I already passed it
    • Posted

My kidney stone was discovered during an x-ray of my gall bladder. On the film it appeared as a big white spot. Shortly after that it got into my ureter and tried to pass and finally got stuck. Yes, the pain was constant and excruciating and two days later it was removed. Because of its size it scraped my ureter and caused scar tissue to form. That led to, years later, having a stent put into my ureter so that when I pass another stone it can get out faster and with a bit less agony. I pass one about every two years. Lucky me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.